Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Filling with Fuel
Kentboy

Filling with Fuel

When filling up with Diesel for the first time the filler vented a continuous stream of vapour like a mist as I was filling......is that normal?

It also felt as if the pump should go further into the filler cap but it was restricted. It felt so 'wrong' that at first I panicked thinking I was miss fuelling but then I knew that wasn't possible on the Evoque.

Is this normal?

Evoque Prestige SD4, Barolo Black contrast white roof, Ambiance Upholstery with Figured Macassar wood insert, Privecy glass, Lux Pack, 20" Style 6 Alloys, Spare Wheel. Ordered 10th March estimated completion date 6th July.
14-07-2012 08:06am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

RE: Filling with Fuel

Vapour - dunno, will keep eye out at next fill but can't say that I've seen similar to date.

Pump does not go in very far (compared to my other cars) and does feel funny, but you do get used to it.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
14-07-2012 08:13am
Kentboy

(14-07-2012 08:13am)cjfp Wrote:  Vapour - dunno, will keep eye out at next fill but can't say that I've seen similar to date.

Pump does not go in very far (compared to my other cars) and does feel funny, but you do get used to it.

If it happens to you I think you would have noticed it as its very very obvious. It almost looked dangerous as vapour must be very inflammable.

Evoque Prestige SD4, Barolo Black contrast white roof, Ambiance Upholstery with Figured Macassar wood insert, Privecy glass, Lux Pack, 20" Style 6 Alloys, Spare Wheel. Ordered 10th March estimated completion date 6th July.
14-07-2012 08:18am
cjfp

Was it an 'angle of dangle' thing? Ie did it get better / worse as you changed the angle of the pump in the whole. Or, although the pump doesn't go in far, are you sure it was in as far as it could be?

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
14-07-2012 08:20am
NightFox

(14-07-2012 08:18am)Kentboy Wrote:  If it happens to you I think you would have noticed it as its very very obvious. It almost looked dangerous as vapour must be very inflammable.

I've sometimes seen visible vapour venting off when I've filled various diesel cars I've owned - I'm not sure why it sometimes does it, I've wondered if it's perhaps when there's a difference in the temperature between the new fuel and that already in the tank. I'm guessing that this always happens, it's just that most of the time you can't see it (like condensation when you breathe on a cold day).

I've noticed in some parts of the US, diesel pumps actually have a wide 'cup' that seals over the whole filler with an extractor pipe to stop this vapour entering the atmosphere.

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Mauritius Blue ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Adaptive Xenons ~ Park Assist ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Powerfold Mirrors ~ Autodimming Mirror
Ordered 14/6/12 ~ Built 13/11/12 ~ Delivered 15/11/12 ~ Collected 20/11/12

[Image: 163643.png]
14-07-2012 08:27am
ChuckieB

(14-07-2012 08:13am)cjfp Wrote:  Vapour - dunno, will keep eye out at next fill but can't say that I've seen similar to date.

Certainly had me wondering on my first fill up or 2. Still giving it a wiggle just to check

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
14-07-2012 09:10am
RacingSnake

(14-07-2012 08:18am)Kentboy Wrote:  It almost looked dangerous as vapour must be very inflammable.
Dont worry, Diesel isn't flammable.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
14-07-2012 11:03am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Barneyridge

Filling with Fuel

Yes I have notice this. It happens for me generally in the afternoon rather than the morning

Pure TD4, Fiji, Auto, Pan Roof + Extras - Delivered Very Happy
14-07-2012 11:21am
PhilSkill

Not seen any vapour myself but I would imagine this is likely to happen when the fuel has been agitated a lot or you've driven a reasonable distance before opening the fuel filler or the temperature differs from tank to ambient air, The nosel doesn't go fully in as there is the incorrect fuel trap in the filler pipe, But don't rely on this device it's not fool proof just an aide.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
14-07-2012 12:10pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The mis-fuelling preventer is definitely not a 100% fool-proof device as several owners here have found out the hard way. Although how they managed to misfuel passed the device is beyond me, they must have really forced the filler nozzle down the fuel filler and broken the sensor that operates the flap. What is there to prevent misfuelling is very good but not infallible.

btw i don't mean to belittle those that have had this happen to them or imply that THEY are fools, I do sincerely mean the device isn't as good as it might be if it is still possible to get round it by whatever means EmbarrassedEmbarrassed It must be a horrible experience to find you have put the wrong fuel into you car

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 14-07-2012 12:24pm by XFullFatTim.)
14-07-2012 12:16pm