Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Accelerator sticking open!
speary

RE: Accelerator sticking open!

(19-07-2012 05:00pm)Mattyw Wrote:  The accelerator is sticking open on my ed4 Pure manual.
Or more likely the cruise control is kicking in and taking over without being selected and without showing it's engaged on the dash.
Quite disconcerting!
Thought I'd noticed it soon after delivery and confirmed it today: select a gear, say second or third, and car starts pulling away when foot off accelerator (and clutch). Happens on various gears, car definitely increases speed then maintains it without touching accelerator.
Cruise control definitely not selected accidentally. Cruise not showing on dash. Can't cancel via cruise cancel on steering wheel.
Happens going uphill, with speed climbing then holding at exact speed.
Cancels easily by touching brake, and problem intermittent.
Software issue maybe or have I missed something?
Seems a pretty profound "fault" if it is one....
With reference to my previous post. What speed does it reach in each gear ?

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
20-07-2012 08:04am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ED209

Is it not just the engines torque pulling it along? A lot of diesels will drive themselves if you take your feet off the pedals if the speed/gearing is correct.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
(This post was last modified: 20-07-2012 09:05am by ED209.)
20-07-2012 09:04am
Mattyw

Checked this again yesterday: confident now it is either diesel engine torque pulling car along or anti-stall.

Car does it as revs drop below 1000 (circa 800).
And at earlier suggested speeds and gears.
For example 10mph in 2nd.
And at 30-32mph in 4th.

No longer disconcerted. No longer fear a fault. Apologies if caused any anxiety.

But still bloody surprised! Never owned diesel or LR before and v used to manual transmission car immediately beginning to slow on taking foot off accelerator: not pull itself along with all feet off. No mention of it in manuals as far as I can see. May PM Nick to ask her / confirm if design feature.

Thanks for responses: you've helped explain and calm. Perhaps majority of Evo owners have autos so not had this phenomenon to notice?

Pure 5 door ed4 Santorini black, ebony headline, tech + pure style pack, privacy glass, pano roof, park assist, rear camera, auto dim mirror, roof and cross rails, 19" sparkle
21-07-2012 01:54pm
speary

I did some offroad stuff in a Defender last year. the instructor told me to select low range and 2nd gear, release the clutch, apply a little gas to get it going and then take my foot off the accelerator. It just went wherever I pointed it, up hill, down hill, it just maintained the speed. All down to the low down torque of a diesel.
Its really usefull in heavy traffic

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
23-07-2012 08:59am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

This used to be called "fly wheel" effect

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
23-07-2012 01:35pm
PhilSkill

(21-07-2012 01:54pm)Mattyw Wrote:  Checked this again yesterday: confident now it is either diesel engine torque pulling car along or anti-stall.

Car does it as revs drop below 1000 (circa 800).
And at earlier suggested speeds and gears.
For example 10mph in 2nd.
And at 30-32mph in 4th.

No longer disconcerted. No longer fear a fault. Apologies if caused any anxiety.

But still bloody surprised! Never owned diesel or LR before and v used to manual transmission car immediately beginning to slow on taking foot off accelerator: not pull itself along with all feet off. No mention of it in manuals as far as I can see. May PM Nick to ask her / confirm if design feature.

Thanks for responses: you've helped explain and calm. Perhaps majority of Evo owners have autos so not had this phenomenon to notice?

Yes I regularly find i'm idling along in 4th or 5th at 30-40mph, not using any throttle, but it will start to chug if you dont eventually change down or hit a bit of an incline.
The Mazda does this also even though it's petrol as it's also a very torquey engine.

I wouldn't call it accelerating though Laughing

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 23-07-2012 02:02pm by PhilSkill.)
23-07-2012 02:01pm
marshj

driving a ed4 pure manual when changing from third to fourth around 30 mph the car took over accelerating wiithout foot on accelerator put foot on brake when took off it still accelerated up to around 37 mph until i pressed the brake again it went back to being ok. This is the third time it has happened a bit nervy when it happens the car is under three month old. On phoning landrover after sales they passed me on to a local dealer who passed me onto road side assistance who i am waiting to check car
28-05-2014 05:02pm
PhilSkill

(28-05-2014 05:02pm)marshj Wrote:  driving a ed4 pure manual when changing from third to fourth around 30 mph the car took over accelerating wiithout foot on accelerator put foot on brake when took off it still accelerated up to around 37 mph until i pressed the brake again it went back to being ok. This is the third time it has happened a bit nervy when it happens the car is under three month old. On phoning landrover after sales they passed me on to a local dealer who passed me onto road side assistance who i am waiting to check car

Hi marshj, Hmmm... sounds like a fault, let us know the outcome!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
28-05-2014 07:07pm