Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fastest convicted drivers in the UK 2013
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Fastest convicted drivers in the UK 2013

Some mad drivers here, driving at stupid speeds in 30mph zones. Pity the FOI didn't publish what kind of cars were involved

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27587130

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 28-05-2014 12:21am by XFullFatTim.)
28-05-2014 12:18am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

RE: Fastest convicted drivers in the UK 2013

I don't know the point this news report is trying to make. Whatever the speed limits, there will always be those who choose to exceed them and for whom the prospect of severe penalties provides little deterrent. What is the item proposing? Ever lower speed limits affecting the great majority who broadly adhere to them? Ever more rigorous enforcement? Would you really like a world where your every journey is tracked by satellite and you receive a monthly statement of your journeys, the road pricing costs, the speed limits exceeded by more than 1 mph and all the rest?

We all know that speed is just one factor which can cause accidents. I regularly drive in Germany at over 160 mph and it is safe for me to do so because the roads are designed for it, other drivers are usually observant and in any case, I only do it when the weather is clear and the traffic sparse.

What worries me more than outright speed is tail-gating and lack of attention and observation at the wheel, made much worse by the distractions of the modern car's infotainment systems and the temptations of the mobile phone.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
28-05-2014 05:39am
speary

(28-05-2014 05:39am)mark_n Wrote:  I don't know the point this news report is trying to make. Whatever the speed limits, there will always be those who choose to exceed them and for whom the prospect of severe penalties provides little deterrent. What is the item proposing? Ever lower speed limits affecting the great majority who broadly adhere to them? Ever more rigorous enforcement? Would you really like a world where your every journey is tracked by satellite and you receive a monthly statement of your journeys, the road pricing costs, the speed limits exceeded by more than 1 mph and all the rest?

We all know that speed is just one factor which can cause accidents. I regularly drive in Germany at over 160 mph and it is safe for me to do so because the roads are designed for it, other drivers are usually observant and in any case, I only do it when the weather is clear and the traffic sparse.

What worries me more than outright speed is tail-gating and lack of attention and observation at the wheel, made much worse by the distractions of the modern car's infotainment systems and the temptations of the mobile phone.
+1

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
28-05-2014 08:17am
Redrob

(28-05-2014 05:39am)mark_n Wrote:  I don't know the point this news report is trying to make. Whatever the speed limits, there will always be those who choose to exceed them and for whom the prospect of severe penalties provides little deterrent. What is the item proposing? Ever lower speed limits affecting the great majority who broadly adhere to them? Ever more rigorous enforcement? Would you really like a world where your every journey is tracked by satellite and you receive a monthly statement of your journeys, the road pricing costs, the speed limits exceeded by more than 1 mph and all the rest?

I take it the 160mph isn't in your Evoque.

MY13 Dynamic coupe Orkney Pano Power tailgate DTRL's etc......soon to be
MY14 Dynamic 5 door Orkney Pano Power tailgate DTRL's etc......soon to be
MY15 Dynamic Lux Fuji White Pano Power tailgate DTRL's etc.
28-05-2014 06:49pm
mark_n

(28-05-2014 06:49pm)Redrob Wrote:  I take it the 160mph isn't in your Evoque.

Well I could strap an Exocet missile to the roof bars... No, it's a 911 turbo...

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
28-05-2014 07:31pm
J77

There are a few crazy drivers out there.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
28-05-2014 07:38pm
PhilSkill

(28-05-2014 05:39am)mark_n Wrote:  What worries me more than outright speed is tail-gating and lack of attention and observation at the wheel, made much worse by the distractions of the modern car's infotainment systems and the temptations of the mobile phone.

Take a Taxi trip round Paris, driving 60mph on very busy roads, inches from the car in front, flitting in and out of bus lanes while speaking on hands free about his next pickup and filling in his time sheets on the steering wheel with a pen in the other hand while and shouting at the car in-front in french I didn't understand...

Me cowering in the back with rucksack in-front of me to act as an airbag while I await a collision...

Still, I got the train on time!

UK drivers are bliss...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
28-05-2014 07:49pm
RacingSnake

150 on a motorway doesn't really worry me unless it was rush hour/busy/wet etc....
but...
96 in a 30 (and 114 in a 40!) at any time of the day is downright stupid - I don't need to or want to know the circumstances - do not pass go, do not collect $200, head straight for jail.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
28-05-2014 08:47pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Valeter

(28-05-2014 12:18am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Some mad drivers here, driving at stupid speeds in 30mph zones. Pity the FOI didn't publish what kind of cars were involved

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27587130

Most probably started with a B

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
28-05-2014 09:31pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J77

Followed by an M Laughing

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
28-05-2014 09:41pm