Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
FUEL CONSUMPTION Si4 / SD4 REAL LIFE NUMBERS
andyuk

RE: FUEL CONSUMPTION Si4 / SD4 REAL LIFE NUMBERS

On another issue how much does it cost to fill up from empty to full?

Ideally the SD4.

Thanks

Dynamic SD4 Manual Red with Black contrast & Panaramic Roof, Vortex Interior, 20" Alloys, Privacy Glass, Black Headlining
28-09-2011 07:17pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

£65 for 3/4 of a tank on the motorway recently at £1.499 a litre, since then I haven't let it go below 1/2 tank! I was spending £140 to put 100ltrs in the FFRR's tank every 500 miles!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 28-09-2011 07:43pm by XFullFatTim.)
28-09-2011 07:40pm
evoqueboy

My car has nearly done 500 miles and it's saying 26.6 and it's an SD4! I know I've been stuck in traffic a fair bit but this is seriously taking the Mick. Does anybody know why this is??
30-09-2011 11:42pm
XFullFatTim

The town driving will really be hammering it but also your engine is tight. Also which trip computer are you using, I suggest that you use Auto trip rather than A or B as you don't have to remember to reset the auto trip one, it resets automatically whenever you switch off the ignition and refill the fuel tank. Also is yours a manual or an auto? Your car also will need a decent run to clear the DPF after a few town stop start type drives - there is a section in the manual about how to regenerate the DPF. Diesels do not save over petrol engines if all you are doing is stop start city driving and it's worse now they all have to have the dreaded DPF

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 30-09-2011 11:51pm by XFullFatTim.)
30-09-2011 11:48pm
Spiderman

(30-09-2011 11:42pm)evoqueboy Wrote:  My car has nearly done 500 miles and it's saying 26.6 and it's an SD4! I know I've been stuck in traffic a fair bit but this is seriously taking the Mick. Does anybody know why this is??

It's because you haven't uploaded any photos, it'll improve once you've done this! Laughing

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
30-09-2011 11:49pm
evoqueboy

On another note I do boot the car on the odd occasion here and there but only when the car is fully warmed up. Some say this is acceptable some disagree. Thoughts please??

Oh and spiderman I'm crap at uploading pics and I'm usually on the forum via my iPhone but will try my best to upload pics soon!

Oh and it's an auto!
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2011 12:12am by evoqueboy.)
30-09-2011 11:56pm
XFullFatTim

Evoqueboy - from an iPhone I use the Photobucket app, upload from the camera files to your Photobucket account and then copy and paste the photo link into the post here, it's dead simple!

BTW if you are mainly town driving what sort of distance do you drive? If it's 5-10 miles then you might have been better with the Si4.

01-10-2011 09:57am
niknak

BTW if you are mainly town driving what sort of distance do you drive? If it's 5-10 miles then you might have been better with the Si4.
[/quote]

Tim - interesting comment, are you saying that the petrol engine could be more fuel efficient than the diesel for short journeys? I have an Si4 prestige on order, I do limited mileage (average journeys 2-5 miles and in town) so the fuel consumption was not a major issue for me when choosing the engine. Also the Si4 is cheaper in Cyprus than the SD4 which made the decision easier, but I was expecting to pay a penalty at the pumps. I've never owned a diesel but just assumed they have better fuel economy in all conditions compared to petrol?
01-10-2011 10:45am
XFullFatTim

Diesels are only more efficient than petrols when they are fully warmed up and they are their most economical at steady revs, today's diesel engines also have to contend with that toy of the devil called the Diesel Particulate Filter that means that short journeys in town are killers as the filter clogs up. When that happens you MUST take the car for a decent high revs blast to allow the filter to regenerate, it needs plenty of heat to do it too so once a week town dwellers who use their diesel for stop start motoring during the week will have little option than to take their car for the equivalent of a circuit of the M25, just to clean the filter of particulate - petrol engines don't have this problem. When I was considering whether to go diesel or petrol I actually wanted to buy a petrol as my annual milage of 10k doesn't really justify the motor BUT the type of driving I do does - I don't commute in town - I don't need to commute and if I go to town it's 16 miles away so the car is getting well warmed through and as I can drive at 60 all the way the filter doesn't get clogged up - it's the same for most country dwellers. My driving, as most people may have noticed from my posts, involves mainly the above with maybe once a month around trip to London, usually in midwinter I will fly but between March and October I prefer to drive it, it's still cheaper as I cannot book far enough in advance to get the discounted tickets and have learnt through missed meetings that easyJet and Ryanair are hopeless timekeepers, so driving a lot less hassle than flying.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2011 11:37am by XFullFatTim.)
01-10-2011 11:29am
niknak

thanks for the explanation - so it seems by luck I actually also made a "sensible" choice with the petrol taking into account how it will be used....bonus Very Happy
01-10-2011 12:20pm