Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Experience on Evoque standing in the garage for long time?
JiiPee

Experience on Evoque standing in the garage for long time?

It's holidays approaching and it seems that I will have to leave my baby (car that is) to stand in the garage for almost two months. Does anyone have any experience with Evoque standing unused for a lengthy period?
How does the battery stand?
Is there anything i can do to avoid the battery consumption? (does double locking use more battery?)

Enjoying enormously: Pure Td4 Automatic, Firenze Red, almond/espresso interior, panorama roof with rails, Pure tech pack, clearview pack & cold weather pack, parking radars front and back + camera.
13-07-2012 09:59am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Experience on Evoque standing in the garage for long time?

I would imagine the double locking does use a fraction more battery, if you have a window in your garage you could get one of those solar chargers, see thread in tips/tricks and wire it into the 12v socket into the boot. Tim will have experience of long periods of non-use so may have some more advice.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
13-07-2012 10:45am
Barton Evoque

If its like my freelander2 it might go into sleep mode after 3 weeks and everything shuts down.

Evoque My13 TD4 Pure.Orkney Grey with Tech Pack~Spare Wheel~Front Fogs~Privacy Glass~Ebony Interior~Mudflaps~Evoque Footrest~DVD Headrests~Towtrust Towbar.Collected 17th Sept. Very Happy
Also nicely modded Audi TT Roadster.
13-07-2012 10:57am
xxxx5

Wait for Tim to come along he is the man for this question.

Now Sold: 5dr Pure SD4 Man / Fuji White / Pano Roof / Tech Park / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Xenons / Black H'lining / Power Fold Door Mirrors / Power Tailgate / Carpet Mats / Front Fogs.
13-07-2012 12:07pm
alibeau

Hi,

Left mine standing for three weeks over Easter. On return it started first time, no battery problems at all....

The best thing was it still had the 'new car' smell when I got home Laughing

Ali Very Happy

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
13-07-2012 12:09pm
Chunk

i would recommend using a trickle charger to keep your battery healthy, i have used one for years on my v6clio as it did very little in the way of miles (550 between last mots)and sat in the garage the rest of the time. I have a Ctek 3600 and it is a smart charger that will 'pulse' the battery every so often to keep it in top condition, it will only charge if your battery was low to start with.

I got mine from battery megastore, they have a website and sell on ebay etc. if you need any info give me a shout

Ordered Feb 2012 - Orkney grey 5dr Dynamic SD4 Automatic. Lux pack, Dynamic plus Pack (velocity ebony leather) ebony headliner and gloss black finishers. Shadow chrome style 7s, heated steering wheel and a spare wheel just in case! Build date 6/7/12 delivery date 23/7/12. Built 3/7 pick up 14/7!!!!!
13-07-2012 12:41pm
Donny Dog

(13-07-2012 12:41pm)Chunk Wrote:  i would recommend using a trickle charger to keep your battery healthy, i have used one for years on my v6clio as it did very little in the way of miles (550 between last mots)and sat in the garage the rest of the time. I have a Ctek 3600 and it is a smart charger that will 'pulse' the battery every so often to keep it in top condition, it will only charge if your battery was low to start with.

I got mine from battery megastore, they have a website and sell on ebay etc. if you need any info give me a shout

I'd echo that - I have the same charger and it has worked on several cars including my Mercedes SL500 which was hopeless at being left, even for a couple of weeks. For those that aren't aware, these are tiny chargers (nothing like the old fashioned ones) and can easily be carried in the car (my Evoque one fits nicely under the boot floor).
13-07-2012 04:25pm
zambiaman

I was just about to post a new thread with this issue! I left on holiday and have covered the car and locked in the garage. My neighbor will be checking up on it but I am worried about the battery. I will be away for 2 months and hope all is well once I get back. Should I have someone started up the engine here and then or will it be ok?

Arrow SD4 5dr Dynamic
Adaptive Dynamics, Pano roof, 20" style 6, blind spot, power tailgate
Cyprus based
15-07-2012 06:36pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I leave mine for up to 120 days at a stretch, on the drive. I have a Maplin £19 solar powered trickle charger (it only requires daylight rather than direct sunshine to produce the power) that plugs into the socket in the boot that stays live when the ignition is switched off and even all through the winter when the car (my last FFRR in fact) was totally covered in snow only the tiniest amount of daylight was needed to keep the battery topped up. I never used to bother with even a trickle charger for my RRS's or Defender, but 2010MY FFRR's had a history or draining batteries very very quickly (overnight in some cases) but mine never suffered from the problem as the solar panel was able to keep up with consumption. First the first time in 10 years my Defender's battery died this winter after 100 days of no use - pretty good to get 10 years life out of it I thought so wasn't too worried about replacing it.
My car also gets driven by my brother every 6-7 weeks for a drive of 40miles just to keep everything lubricated and exercised, otherwise it sits outside as a bombing target for the rooks at the end of the street!

Just starting the engine and running is not enough for the car, it should have a short run to get back the charge used from the start drain. 2 months should be OK, also with my previous RR's the doublelocking tells the car to go into sleep mode after 10 minutes, but the cars also had air suspension and if you left them parked in access mode that was another way they "went to sleep" after a short period.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 15-07-2012 09:04pm by XFullFatTim.)
15-07-2012 08:55pm
zambiaman

Thanks for the reply! I won't bother getting the neighbor to start up the car etc - less hassle! When I return I shall send you all a reply with feedback!

Arrow SD4 5dr Dynamic
Adaptive Dynamics, Pano roof, 20" style 6, blind spot, power tailgate
Cyprus based
16-07-2012 09:18am