Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Exorcism for rattles
maxw523

Exorcism for rattles

Hello All,

I've had numerous challenges with rattles since receiving my Evoque and sought them out as best I could.
The dealership has also struggled, but it takes up a lot of time and is far from easy.
I finally took the plunge and had the vehicle Dynamatted. It was either that or lose the car. I hate bloody rattles.
In addition, I got the dealer to take down the frame of the roof shade and search for any loose fittings. There was no room for additional insulation apparently.

After all this, the rattles improved dramatically.

It's ironic that while I was reading the Q5 forum, a number of members stated that they were previous Evoque owners who had gotten rid of the vehicle because they considered it to be a "rattle box".

I wonder how many of you are having similar experiences?
Apparently it is worst in the Coupe.

Max.
09-12-2013 04:32pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Exorcism for rattles

There are lots of posts and many very upset customers. The most annoying thing about the rattles too is that as soon as you get the car near to a dealership workshop they disappear

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
09-12-2013 04:43pm
maxw523

(09-12-2013 04:43pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  There are lots of posts and many very upset customers. The most annoying thing about the rattles too is that as soon as you get the car near to a dealership workshop they disappear

Exactly; Murphy's law at it's finest.

It's very disappointing that with such an expensive car the vehicle rattles and squeaks. My friend has a 2013 Mazda 3 and it is extremely quiet.

I also discovered that the warranty for pursuit of rattles is only 1 year. Beyond that, time and repair is up to the owner, and that is really pathetic.
09-12-2013 05:00pm
Stadt Panzer

Exorcism for rattles

(09-12-2013 05:00pm)maxw523 Wrote:  I also discovered that the warranty for pursuit of rattles is only 1 year. Beyond that, time and repair is up to the owner, and that is really pathetic.

Strange, I took mine for a rattle in the roof and they fixed it no probs, car was 15 months old.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
09-12-2013 05:56pm
HeartbreakRidge

(09-12-2013 05:56pm)Stadt Panzer Wrote:  Strange, I took mine for a rattle in the roof and they fixed it no probs, car was 15 months old.

Perhaps that's the difference between a dealer that wants to keep you as a customer (service and/or new vehicle) and one that doesn't?

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
Built: March 10, 2014 / Delivery Date (three weeks early!): March 26, 2014
09-12-2013 06:52pm
PhilSkill

(09-12-2013 05:00pm)maxw523 Wrote:  I also discovered that the warranty for pursuit of rattles is only 1 year. Beyond that, time and repair is up to the owner, and that is really pathetic.

Mine is in having the roof console rattle fix under warranty, which the dealer found for me, and mine is over 2 years old.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
10-12-2013 12:40am
DaveR

Re: Exorcism for rattles

What does having it Dynamatted entail and what was the cost?
Thanks
Dave
10-12-2013 07:24am
Trapdoor

Installing this I assume...

http://www.dynamat.com

Seems a bit excessive, but I know how bad rattles make you feel, especially in a car that costs this much!

Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
10-12-2013 07:53am
Donny Dog

(10-12-2013 07:53am)Trapdoor Wrote:  I know how bad rattles make you feel, especially in a car that costs this much!

They make me want to drive it into a tree!
10-12-2013 03:11pm
maxw523

I was at my wits end. I hate bloody rattles. It's like wearing squeaky shoes.
I felt I could either get the dealership to try one last time or just switch to a new vehicle. The latter would have meant a lot of money lost.
Dynamatting was not cheap....$700 in an already expensive car, but the dealership gave me a break on cost and installation.
I chose the Dynamat Extreme,( http://www.dynamat.com/products_automoti...reme.html) for the best insulation, and the dealer placed a double layer on doors and rear cargo area.
It did make a huge difference.
Is it worth it? I guess time will tell.
I love driving the car and still feel it has a great deal more character than any of it's competitors, such as the Q5.
The dealer noted that those vehicles lacking the panoramic roof are also less troubled by it, as are the 4 doors.

Hope that helps.
"Quiet" driving.
13-12-2013 07:22pm