Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Curbed Hard!
funguf

Curbed Hard!

So I was driving along yesterday on a road wide enough for two cars. There were two cars in front of me, not quite side by side, but staggered. I was behind a car on the left. As we clear a crossroad the car in front moves right suddenly and reveals that the road exiting the crossroad is slightly narrower. Mis-judging the distance from the curb I hit it at approx 40mph (probably a bit less) with the front O/S wheel. Though it made a loud noise I don’t think I hit it head on as I didn't mount the curb.

The car doesn't pull or handle any differently since the scrape. But I did visual inspection as best I could and couldn't see any damage to the shock absorber, that said it’s hard to say without taking the whole wheel off...

Suggestions would be welcome!

Pic of damaged alloy here

Thanks

SD4 Pure Tech Manual, 5 Door, Fuji White with Black Contrast Roof, Black Grille/Vents/Mirror Caps, Pure Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Mud Flaps.
13-12-2013 01:32pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BFGEvoqueMan

RE: Curbed Hard!

(13-12-2013 01:32pm)funguf Wrote:  So I was driving along yesterday on a road wide enough for two cars. There were two cars in front of me, not quite side by side, but staggered. I was behind a car on the left. As we clear a crossroad the car in front moves right suddenly and reveals that the road exiting the crossroad is slightly narrower. Mis-judging the distance from the curb I hit it at approx 40mph (probably a bit less) with the front O/S wheel. Though it made a loud noise I don’t think I hit it head on as I didn't mount the curb.

The car doesn't pull or handle any differently since the scrape. But I did visual inspection as best I could and couldn't see any damage to the shock absorber, that said it’s hard to say without taking the whole wheel off...

Suggestions would be welcome!

Pic of damaged alloy here

Thanks

These things often sound loud/big hit when they are not. If the car doesn't pull to a side or the wheel wobble when you drive then sounds like the trackling etc is fine. Next step: look in the yellow pages and find a wheel refurbisher - shouldn't be more than £75.WinkWink

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
13-12-2013 02:31pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

It's a Land Rover, meant to be able to handle the rough and tumble of a rough country road or a Rocky Mountain path. If no apparent damage though might be worth getting the wheel alignment checked out otherwise you could suffer accelerated tyre wear

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
13-12-2013 03:09pm
speary

I would certainly get the tyre checked out. It could have internal damage and you don't want a blow out at speed

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
13-12-2013 03:13pm
funguf

Thanks all, still driving fine but I'll get the tire checked out Smile

SD4 Pure Tech Manual, 5 Door, Fuji White with Black Contrast Roof, Black Grille/Vents/Mirror Caps, Pure Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Mud Flaps.
15-12-2013 12:01am