Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evoque won't start after airbag replacement
Newbie2015

Evoque won't start after airbag replacement

Hi guys

I'm hoping someone could help me out

I've repaired a damaged evoque, car was a runner until battery was taken off whilst installing new airbags

The Ecu has been reset and a new sensor has been put in the sump for oil now it won't turn over at all tried a new battery but nothing

Any experts have any advice please
17-12-2015 09:46am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jim NI

RE: Evoque won't start after airbag replacement

Are you saying it won't crank or won't start?
17-12-2015 10:00pm
Newbie2015

Lights up but doesn't turn over I've been told Ecu not talking to "something" and needs an updated peice of software from land rover that has to be ordered well odd

Thanks for replying
(This post was last modified: 18-12-2015 08:40pm by Newbie2015.)
18-12-2015 08:39pm
Jim NI

I've changed airbag modules before and cars start without issue even before flashing software. Have you access to a scanner to read codes? (Land Rover dealers do not need to order software - it's all on SDD )
(This post was last modified: 18-12-2015 08:55pm by Jim NI.)
18-12-2015 08:53pm
Newbie2015

(18-12-2015 08:53pm)Jim NI Wrote:  I've changed airbag modules before and cars start without issue even before flashing software. Have you access to a scanner to read codes? (Land Rover dealers do not need to order software - it's all on SDD )

no codes showing at all it was the keyless programme that was ordered however this hasnt fixed it at all

its costing me a fotune in diagnostics

thank you
(This post was last modified: 22-12-2015 02:13pm by Newbie2015.)
22-12-2015 02:12pm
Jim NI

Strange that no faults showing, you should get a "Lost Communication" fault if "not talking" as you've been told. Any idea what diagnostic tool your guy is using?
Bit of a long shot but try a hard reset of ECU's. Disconnect both leads from battery, wait a few minutes and touch bot connectors together for a few seconds then reconnect.
22-12-2015 02:25pm
PhilSkill

You didn't mention which Airbags you replaced, but I would expect you've not connected something back right, if you've had the Dash off, things as simple as the Start/Stop switch might not be back properly, (Some have had to have this changed due to not starting reliably).

Surely the Dash shows something when you hold down Brake and press start, and if you don't hold down brake does it tell you to hold it down to start?

In the absence of Error codes which you'd expect if something was not right, which leaves you pretty blind, maybe the Battery Monitoring unit is not working, or the crash sensor is not functioning, but again you'd expect error codes.

If it started before replacing the airbags can you temporarily replace the blown airbag units, Although unlikely, maybe they are coded to the ECU?

Otherwise can you consider LR Assist to attend? As they will have better diagnostic tools for non starting.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
22-12-2015 02:44pm
Jim NI

Bags aren't coded Phil - it's the RCM or Airbag module that's coded, however the car should start and drive even without this flashed for specific car (will show a number of faults including lost communication, invalid VIN etc. but will run and drive.) I believe same goes for battery monitoring system but will show Eco fault. Just can't understand why no codes showing as this suggests it's not a Canbus problem.
22-12-2015 04:02pm
PhilSkill

Yeah i'm sure you're right Jim, just trying to reason with the minimal info supplied as to why changing Airbags could cause it not to start, far more likely disconnecting the Battery has either tripped/blown something, or simply there is something not put back right.

Either way hope you sort it Newbie, and feedback what caused it, how it was fixed.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
22-12-2015 04:35pm
Nickj

I've changed steering, dashboard airbag, knee airbag, and front seatbelt pre tensioners and had no problems, so as someone suggested I'd think you've not re installed something somewhere along the line. Even with all these bags deployed mine still started and drove. Has the airbag ecu been fitted with one from another vehicle as these need coding to your car. All I had to do was get the airbag ecu crash data cleared, re install and all was perfect.

Your problem isn't to do with the airbags, it's to do with the installation or the ecu. My guess is the ecu. What have you had done to this? Ecu's can have crash data cleared 3 times before coming ineffective.
24-12-2015 08:20pm