RE: Evoque v Merc v Q5

You have way too much time on your hands Tim Smile

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
06-10-2011 02:38am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evoqess

(06-10-2011 02:20am)denis pelletier Wrote:  
(05-10-2011 09:44pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Magazine, but you might find it on the AutoExpress website too as they often publish their road tests there as well

EDIT - it is online here http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/...ivals.html

If you click on the side bar where there are pictures of the two different cars it links you through to a more thorough test report too

Merc Offroading capability is also very impressive. So while Range Rover Canada is still trying to figure out the Evoque selling price details, and availability of the car remains elusive, I have fallen for the ML350. Big Cry

The Mercedes leaves me cold. This marque is everywhere on the west coast of Canada - mostly because of the perceived prestige of the Mercedes brand. Some of our locals like to flaunt the fact that they've "made it" in life and can no longer tolerate the minivan for dropping the kids off at school it seems. Many Mercs also tend to frequent the body repair shops, leaving a wealth of slightly used models that are well priced but have a dubious history.
The last time I saw a Merc SUV up close was racing through a red light as I was waiting to turn left. Perilous behavior from a petite driver and the car looked oversized. So from the rant you can see I would never have a Mercedes - for all the above reasons and that the model line is surely the lowest on the German style rung! I utterly do not see the larger ML as an Evoque competitor! Heavier, poorly styled and eating my dust off road when the going get's tough Wink

Range Rover Canada released pricing over a month ago for Vancouver. I
was able to see all the pricing in print at my dealership in August and place my order. The first batch of deliveries are due in a few weeks. I'm sorry that you are having issues out East!

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
06-10-2011 04:19am
SimonL

I looked at the same choice - ML or Evoque. I was all set to go for the ML until I drove it - they have radically changed the power steering system in the 2012 ML and removed all feeling from the drive (compared to the 2011 which does not have the performance or fuel economy of the new one). You can practically steer the 2012 ML with your little finger - very disconcerting and uninspiring if you actually like to feel you are driving. I am waiting on a test drive of the Evoque in Toronto but everything suggests it is a much better driving experience.

(06-10-2011 04:19am)Evoqess Wrote:  
(06-10-2011 02:20am)denis pelletier Wrote:  
(05-10-2011 09:44pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Magazine, but you might find it on the AutoExpress website too as they often publish their road tests there as well

EDIT - it is online here http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/...ivals.html

If you click on the side bar where there are pictures of the two different cars it links you through to a more thorough test report too

Merc Offroading capability is also very impressive. So while Range Rover Canada is still trying to figure out the Evoque selling price details, and availability of the car remains elusive, I have fallen for the ML350. Big Cry

The Mercedes leaves me cold. This marque is everywhere on the west coast of Canada - mostly because of the perceived prestige of the Mercedes brand. Some of our locals like to flaunt the fact that they've "made it" in life and can no longer tolerate the minivan for dropping the kids off at school it seems. Many Mercs also tend to frequent the body repair shops, leaving a wealth of slightly used models that are well priced but have a dubious history.
The last time I saw a Merc SUV up close was racing through a red light as I was waiting to turn left. Perilous behavior from a petite driver and the car looked oversized. So from the rant you can see I would never have a Mercedes - for all the above reasons and that the model line is surely the lowest on the German style rung! I utterly do not see the larger ML as an Evoque competitor! Heavier, poorly styled and eating my dust off road when the going get's tough Wink

Range Rover Canada released pricing over a month ago for Vancouver. I
was able to see all the pricing in print at my dealership in August and place my order. The first batch of deliveries are due in a few weeks. I'm sorry that you are having issues out East!
08-10-2011 04:23pm
ytshome

ML350....behave! If you've fallen for the Merc, I can't believe you were ever in the running for the Evoque......There's no accounting for bad taste.

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
08-10-2011 09:32pm
mark_n

Would I ever buy a car made in Alabama? I would not. The Mercedes ML is a ghastly car. IMHO, of course.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
08-10-2011 10:09pm
Blackseries

(06-10-2011 02:20am)denis pelletier Wrote:  I have fallen for the ML350. Big Cry

The first thing to say is I love the Evoque ... but even so I am very surprised (and a bit disappointed) at how popular RRE is..... let’s face it’s not that big and it’s not cheap... I had hoped to have the gorgeous Concept Car all to myself ....but no such luck. I just didn’t think that there would be so many people out there after a small(ish) beautifully designed and interestingly interiored go-anywhere car. I think we should all heave a sigh of relief that there is still somebody out there that likes the new shape Mercedes ML (quite how anybody can see the new design as an improvement over the outgoing one is beyond me) certainly not externally (btw Ssangyong says they want their design back).... but if these people didn’t exist the RRE would be even more popular than it already is.... so be thankful.

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
08-10-2011 10:46pm
mark_n

Well, yes, we should be grateful there are some who pass the Evoque by.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
08-10-2011 11:40pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Even worse is that 100's of thousands of BMW X3 and X5 owners seem to be under the impression that they own a German car......................... but they are both made outside Germany at a place called Spartanburg, which is in South Carolina, USofA and a few X3's are built in Austria as well (nearly Germany I suppose)

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2011 11:44pm by XFullFatTim.)
08-10-2011 11:40pm
Evoqess

Wow, I never knew that Tim! US made Beemers, with German price tags. At least my Audi was European made (Hungarian). But must say I am delighted to be buying a British made vehicle as I am an anglophile (love British comedy , love Top Gear, love Coldplay and some of my favorite friends of all time are English).

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
09-10-2011 02:41am
Spiderman

Having owned an X5 I can testify that it's a terrible car in the snow, it fish tails without provocation and those of you that are making the jump to a LR product will be so very glad you did if we have another horrendous winter season....as it's been forecast to be Sad

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
09-10-2011 02:44am