Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evoque handling
Norzlein

RE: Evoque handling

(23-06-2013 01:42pm)chris taylor Wrote:  Just wondering how the evoque handles compared to members previous cars.I have an sd4 dynamic and the handling is fantastic a match for most other vehicles i have owned & light years ahead of the freelander i had on loan.The only downside is in dynamic mode the ride can be a bit jittery can,t think of another suv that would handle any better.

Hi chris,

I have si4 Prestege with Magneride dampers, 20 inch wheel, automatic gearbox and driven for 4000km today. I used to drive Honda Odyssey Absolute (not sure you see that at your place...).

First of all, Evoque suspension felt very firm even with the special program off. I guess it catches more information from the road compare to Honda. However it soaks up nicely when driving over a bump. I got used to it in no time, it's excellent overall.

I was a bit confused with the steering. I think sometimes EPAS isolates the driver and car, not sure how to describe... But most of the it's brilliant and like it when it stiffens up with Dynamic mode.

Engine is quiet and gear shifts are smooth. But sometime it hunts for gears. When I'm cruising and step on the gas firmly, gear doesn't shift down but it suddenly kicks the gear down and give excessive acceleration, I don't like that. Another situation is that when I'm cruising, sometimes the rev is over 2500 - 3000rpm but doesn't shift up, as it always do most of the time. I don't like that either. I guess I may not like the program pattern for gear shifting so much.

Dynamic mode is excellent on high speed cruising and for winding roads! You can feel that the car points it's front end as soon as you turn your wheel without too much body rolls. But as you hit the rough surface, you'd want to switch it to normal mode, I guess it gives too much information from road to driver and passenger = not so comfortable.
27-06-2013 12:23pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
heronb

(27-06-2013 10:16am)Crimdog Wrote:  Has it been 2 months already heronb? Wow that's gone quick, did you end up doing any mods?

No Mods at the moment, but they will come (I think) Shocked
27-06-2013 12:42pm
scrannel

(27-06-2013 11:16am)RRSteve Wrote:  I actually disagree! I think the standard suspension on most roads is quite good when doing spirited driving. I found the Dynamic setting a bit too solid on the roads around by me on a test drive. Does work at firming it all up though but maybe a bit too much.

Yup, you should. The standard profile is the one to use on the street. The Mag suspension was originally designed for no driver input and no "stiffer" profile. But since it was created by GM, and the Corvette was one of the first cars to use it, the "Vette guys" were disappointed the car didn't "feel" stiff enough -- thus began the driver input profile. When GM tested the C5 Corvette w/Mag suspension at Nürburgring, it lapped faster in "soft" mode.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
27-06-2013 06:01pm