Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Engine sputtering at idle
Alex

Engine sputtering at idle

Hello

Only day three of ownership and still loving every minute behind the wheel so far! I have the Dynamic SD4 Auto and only thing I have noticed so far is when waiting at lights while the car is idling the engine will sputter (if thats the correct term) - revs will drop slightly then pick up a gain ( the car will move slightly as the idle returns to normal ). I initially thought it was going to stall but timed it and it does this every 8 seconds or so, and have only noticed this when waiting at lights (foot on brake when in drive). It's nothing serious but have not noticed this in an automatic before and wasn't sure if it was common or not.

The car doesn't do this when in park - idle is fine.

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
25-12-2011 12:51pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wired

RE: Engine sputtering at idle

(25-12-2011 12:51pm)Alex Wrote:  Hello

Only day three of ownership and still loving every minute behind the wheel so far! I have the Dynamic SD4 Auto and only thing I have noticed so far is when waiting at lights while the car is idling the engine will sputter (if thats the correct term) - revs will drop slightly then pick up a gain ( the car will move slightly as the idle returns to normal ). I initially thought it was going to stall but timed it and it does this every 8 seconds or so, and have only noticed this when waiting at lights (foot on brake when in drive). It's nothing serious but have not noticed this in an automatic before and wasn't sure if it was common or not.

The car doesn't do this when in park - idle is fine.

It sounds like your gearbox is "catching" to quickly at low revs. I would watch it for a few more day if its not bothering you to much. The car migth just settle in a bit more. If not have it adjusted at the dealer.
25-12-2011 06:17pm
WB
WB

Doesn't sound right - mine definitely doesnt do that. I think you should get it checked so you don't end up dealin with a breakdown
25-12-2011 08:07pm
DaveR

I agree mine does not do that at idle it is very steady
25-12-2011 10:30pm
Claud

I can confirm I have the same issue on an SD4 auto at idle in drive. The engine revs drop intermittently with a knocking type noise. Not observed this on the Wife's SD4 Auto Freeloader.

I will experiment with high electrical loads an air on on or off to see if that impacts the issue. It idles fine on cold start up in drive and when warm in neutral.

Mine is booked into Guava next week for mud flap fitting and to have this checked out.

I am thinking air mass flow sensor, ECU remap type fix. I will publish the diagnosis and fix when mine is sorted.

It is not a major issue, but noticeable and irritating on what is a fantastic vehicle.

[Image: 118733.png]
2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
Sold - 2011 Evoque SD4 Prestige, Auto, Magnaride, Orkney Grey, Lux Pack, TPMS, Heated Steering Wheel
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2012 12:28pm by Claud.)
06-01-2012 12:22pm
Alex

Interesting - mine is still doing it, and I have played around by turning air off and all electrical and it still does it. The main problem is seems random and I cannot repeat the problem under any conditions. I have mine booked in for next Tuesday.

For me it's not an agressive knocking noise but just a quick shake to the vehicle as the revs drop and comes back in (feels like its about to stall). Starting on cold it's fine, and when pulling away after an incident has occurred is fine as well.

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
06-01-2012 12:58pm
Claud

(06-01-2012 12:58pm)Alex Wrote:  Interesting - mine is still doing it, and I have played around by turning air off and all electrical and it still does it. The main problem is seems random and I cannot repeat the problem under any conditions. I have mine booked in for next Tuesday.

For me it's not an agressive knocking noise but just a quick shake to the vehicle as the revs drop and comes back in (feels like its about to stall). Starting on cold it's fine, and when pulling away after an incident has occurred is fine as well.

Alex

Did the dealer fix your issue? If so what was the problem and solution?

I managed to demonstrate the issue to the technician, but he did no recognise what it might be immediately. He suspects DPF, I am not so sure as I drive the car over 40mph every day for at least 30 Minutes and it has only done 444 miles.

Guava will run diagnostics on it today, I will let you know the results.

Sold - 2011 Evoque SD4 Prestige, Auto, Magnaride, Orkney Grey, Lux Pack, TPMS, Heated Steering Wheel
2010 Freelander SD4
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
12-01-2012 10:40am
RacingSnake

it won't be this... but these symptoms (spluttering and recovering with no seeemingly ill effects on normal running) can sometimes be attributed to low oil pressure.... check your oil level.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
12-01-2012 10:48am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Alex

We had to cancel our original appointment due to other commitments so I will have to monitor and reschedule. Not sure if it's me being to fussy and perhaps this is normal.

12-01-2012 11:04am
Claud

(12-01-2012 11:04am)Alex Wrote:  We had to cancel our original appointment due to other commitments so I will have to monitor and reschedule. Not sure if it's me being to fussy and perhaps this is normal.

Alex

What you have descibed is not normal, our Freelander SD4 (identical engine 190 bhp and drive train) is very steady at idle and has not shown any issues whatsoever in one years ownership.

Racing snake, I was not expecting to check the oil at 444miles, however I know my wifes SD4 consumes it and needs a top up between services so will keep an eye on it. Hopefully the dealer will check this today.....

2010 Freelander SD4
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
12-01-2012 11:35am