Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EU now want to fit speed limiters to all cars!
PhilSkill

EU now want to fit speed limiters to all cars!

Beauracratic nonsense from the EU, imagine how many cars this would effect!
http://news.sky.com/story/1135815/eu-may...to-uk-cars

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
03-09-2013 10:55pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
doug

RE: EU now want to fit speed limiters to all cars!

I had this on my Transit, you soon get used to it.
Great ideal on vans, as a modern van goes like s##t these days. I now have a clean driving licence, first time in 4 years Very Happy. My currant van (VW T5.1) is on a 6 months lease (long story don't ask Mad) so the limiter & other options where never added, but I still find that I'm driving at 70mph even without checking the speedo.

Now should private cars be limited. NO WAY..... That said, it would be a good ideal for new drivers.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
03-09-2013 11:48pm
speary

As usual some bureaucrat trying to make a career out of blaming speed for all collisions
Its not speed that is the problem, its the inappropriate use of speed.
Its time to stop beating up the motorist with higher fines and silly restrictions and encourage them to take further driver training.

Think about this Idea
What other skill or task that can potentially kill people would you be allowed to do unaided after basic training. You are effectively left to learn the rest yourself Shocked
The standard DSA test teaches pedestrians to drive at a basic level. A basic level is not good enough on todays roads, this is born out of the fact that the biggest group at risk from collisions and death is the 17 to 25 year olds.

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
04-09-2013 08:43am
PhilSkill

And of course who would have to pay to have devices like these fitted!? No doubt the car owner who doesn't want it, either directly or indirectly through insurance costs, if they really do save accidents then insurers should bring premiums down...

If they want to bring this in, in new cars that are manufacturer designed and fitted, and thus they are responsible for it's reliability, safety etc then maybe limited at 90mph where on public roads this is then a dangerous speed, but I bet even that would hurt new car sales too much!

For new young drivers there is certainly a case, it should help them with their insurance costs in return.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
04-09-2013 08:49am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Has anybody pointed out to this Eurocrat that if it is implemented the amount of indirect taxation from speeding fines will fall through the floor and governments will have to find other ways to generate income. At least now those who choose to speed know that if they get caught they will have to pay, those who choose to drive within speed limits don't pay. Imagine if something goes wrong with the system and suddenly people are exceeding the speed limit because of a GPS glitch........

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
04-09-2013 08:59am