Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1.5 Average
Dealer settings to disable
FujiSan

RE: Dealer settings to disable

As far as I know, in the UK whilst is it mandatory for the DRLs to be installed, it not mandatory to have them illuminated as yet. So I assume ( based on the comment from the post from the US) that it must be possible to disable them.

Seems logical, but I may be wrong.

TD4 Pure - Now a rare breed...

[Image: 131166.png]
09-01-2012 10:12pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LeeCommerce

Think if a vehicle has dlrs then you must use them by law. This might help
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/saf...ights.html

Ordered black Prestige Sd4 auto 5 door with Lux Pack, AD, and a few extra toys.
Delivery Date 02/04/12 Very Happy
Build Date 16/03/12
09-01-2012 11:38pm
PhilB

There seems to be a lot of confusion over the use of DRL's so from a legal viewpoint perhaps I can contribute a bit.
The EU regs require all newly manufactured vehicles in certain categories(lets keep to cars here) to have DRL's fitted.
In the UK at this time there is no legal requirement to use DRL's during the daytime.

Traffic law has a basic rule that equipment fitted to cars such as lights, horns etc must work. If they do not then you have simple offences of defective lights etc.
So if you are stopped by the police the officer can ask you to demonstrate that all lights etc fitted to your vehicle actually work.
Technically, if disabled DRL's on Evoques cannot actually be turned back on by the driver at the roadside, then technically you may commit an offence.
Until I get my own then I cannot say if this is possible as I do not know if a turn off is a dealer job or can be done by the driver as in my current BM.

I am not going to go into the debate of DRL's being good or bad but there are a few things to take into account.
DRL's are not a substitute for side lights as the rear lights are not activated with DRL's.

The basic law on the use of dipped headlamps still stands. Must be used during the hours of darkness, (another tricky definition but basically when street lights are on) or in times of seriously reduced visibility, ie when visibility is less than 100 metres at any time during daylight hours.

There are also a few exceptions when technically you can drive in a lit area (streetlamps less than 200 metres apart) where the limit is less than 40mph with sidelights only but I wouldn't advise it!!!

As I have said if the DRL's are disbled and you cannot turn them back on without a dealer fix, it would be incredibly rare and technical to be prosecuted for having lamps not working that are not required to be used at any time on UK roads.

Prestige SD4 5 door manual, Firenze, vibe, style 4, adaptive dynamics, privacy, Hybrid tv, spare wheel, grey oak wood finisher, ebony headliner.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 06:43am by PhilB.)
10-01-2012 06:39am
dandavis1

You must be fun at parties.
10-01-2012 09:46am
PhilB

(10-01-2012 09:46am)dandavis1 Wrote:  You must be fun at parties.

Well it was a job I did for 30 years before I retired a couple of years ago.
It seems there was some confusion so I was just trying to help.
Hmm, being a newbie to this forum but a regular on other similar type sites its refreshing to know there will always be someone who can post nothing better than a stupid, inane remark rather than contribute to the discussion!
Take care! Wink

Prestige SD4 5 door manual, Firenze, vibe, style 4, adaptive dynamics, privacy, Hybrid tv, spare wheel, grey oak wood finisher, ebony headliner.
10-01-2012 11:15am
LDT

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the clarification re DRL's.

Prestige SD4 Auto, Ipanema/Ambience, Style 4 Wheels, Pan Roof, Privacy, Dimming Mirror, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps.
[Image: 116286.png]
10-01-2012 11:47am
RacingSnake

Just to confirm my thinking... the "LED signature lights" (or bulbs in the Pure) are the DRLs? - in which case, I'd rather have them on all the time anyway Very Happy
10-01-2012 11:52am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
benzina

(08-01-2012 05:50pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  The mirror bit that is dealer enabled is the auto fold on locking function, the electric mirrors will otherwise only fold when you press the fold button on the mirror control panel

Here's the thing.....Apparently all Australian delivered Evoques have the (auto-folding-mirrors-on-lock/unlock) enabled from the factory as standard, so before i took delivery, i asked my dealer to disable this feature, as i only want them to fold/unfold on demand using the door switches.
At first they said they did not find in there menu how it could be done, and would request information from LD Australia.
As it turned out, they managed to disable this feature, BUT, it also disabled the on demand buttons on the door, which is not at all ideal,and if there is no alternative, then i will have to get them to re-enable the feature and be done with it.
My question is....have they done this right? should the on-demand still be working? Can anyone who knows all the tech about this please chime in. Cheers.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 29-02-2012 02:19pm by benzina.)
29-02-2012 02:17pm
lngrn36

(10-01-2012 06:39am)PhilB Wrote:  There seems to be a lot of confusion over the use of DRL's so from a legal viewpoint perhaps I can contribute a bit.
The EU regs require all newly manufactured vehicles in certain categories(lets keep to cars here) to have DRL's fitted.
In the UK at this time there is no legal requirement to use DRL's during the daytime.

Traffic law has a basic rule that equipment fitted to cars such as lights, horns etc must work. If they do not then you have simple offences of defective lights etc.
So if you are stopped by the police the officer can ask you to demonstrate that all lights etc fitted to your vehicle actually work.
Technically, if disabled DRL's on Evoques cannot actually be turned back on by the driver at the roadside, then technically you may commit an offence.

As I have said if the DRL's are disbled and you cannot turn them back on without a dealer fix, it would be incredibly rare and technical to be prosecuted for having lamps not working that are not required to be used at any time on UK roads.

On my Evoque Pure+ the DRL setting is off. If I choose I can turn on the lights during the day.
(10-01-2012 11:15am)PhilB Wrote:  Well it was a job I did for 30 years before I retired a couple of years ago.
Hmm, being a newbie to this forum but a regular on other similar type sites its refreshing to know there will always be someone who can post nothing better than a stupid, inane remark rather than contribute to the discussion!
Take care! Wink

Judging solely on this response I think that you would be fun at a party!

Tim
Evoque Coupe Pure+
SI4 - Auto
Sumatra Black - Ebony/Ebony
Climate package
Satellite Radio
(This post was last modified: 29-02-2012 02:41pm by lngrn36.)
29-02-2012 02:40pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WorldTraveler

(10-01-2012 11:15am)PhilB Wrote:  Well it was a job I did for 30 years before I retired a couple of years ago.
Take care! Wink

Rolling with Laughter Nice Put Down ... Thumbs Up

Delivered 31st March 2012
Pure, 5 Door, TD4, Manual, Firenze Red, Tech Pack, Front Fogs, Xenon, Pano Roof

Track Consumption Using The Site Below
[Image: 117709.png]
(This post was last modified: 29-02-2012 05:48pm by WorldTraveler.)
29-02-2012 05:48pm