Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DPF FULL???
Clip

RE: DPF FULL???

(06-08-2015 06:48am)Steve D Wrote:  Hmm. I'm currently thinking of getting an Evoque but as we only do short journeys, the DPF issue is worrying me. A few years ago (2009) we bought a brand new TDI Golf and every now and then the car would auto regenerate presumably because of the short journeys we undertook. However, the Golf did it at low speeds and the regen continued even after the car was switched off - you knew when it was doing it as the cooling fan kept running when you locked and left the car plus you could smell the raw diesel being burnt.

If we go ahead with an Evoque purchase, how often will we need to take it out for a proper blast to clear the DPF out? Are there any short journey town users on here that could give me an idea? We will probably average 6-8,000 miles per year in it. Thanks.

Diesels just aren't any good for that sort of use (regardless of what dealers say) unless they're not running a DPF (older oil burners). I would be buying a petrol if I only did short distances. Fuel economy difference is negligible with this sort of running too. In fact my next Evoque will definitely be a petrol, even though I mainly only do long distances. If anyone in Aus wants to swap their petrol for my SD4, please pm me Smile
06-08-2015 08:31am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wife's car

We have had two Evoques and my wife uses them for travelling to work a distance of 5 miles she does about 4k miles a year and we have never had a DPF issue, the car just needs a good run every now and then, get one you will love it.
06-08-2015 10:32am
doug

Same as above.
Some weeks mine only goes the grand distance of 1/2 mile down to the supermarket. Never had any issues, apart from in the winter months I have to use a tricker battery charger.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
06-08-2015 10:42am
CRC@LandRover

Hi Steve D

Thank you for your post.

Whilst I appreciate the question being asked, I would be unable to comment as the filling and subsequent clearing of the DPF can be dependent on the distance, style and frequency of your journeys.

Regards

Ryan

Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.
06-08-2015 04:48pm
Steve D

Thanks anyway but the two replies above you have satisfied me. My quest begins!

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
06-08-2015 09:19pm
J77

My annual mileage is 6-7000 a year, 5 of my LRs have had DPFs never had a problem, no lights on dash, no warnings, wouldn't even know it was there. Go for it.

I'm going to the next level, AdBlue Shocked this will be a whole new experience, will see if it lasts to service intervals.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2015 09:53pm by J77.)
06-08-2015 09:51pm
lr_evoque

(06-08-2015 08:31am)Clip Wrote:  Diesels just aren't any good for that sort of use (regardless of what dealers say) unless they're not running a DPF (older oil burners). I would be buying a petrol if I only did short distances. Fuel economy difference is negligible with this sort of running too. In fact my next Evoque will definitely be a petrol, even though I mainly only do long distances. If anyone in Aus wants to swap their petrol for my SD4, please pm me Smile

I think Clip is absolutely right. If you intend on doing city/traffic driving and short distances go for petrol.

I just got my Evoque back from Service because I was complaining that my ECO Mode was not engaging. Turns out the reason for it not working is that the DPF was unable to regenerate. The soot level was at 21% and at 25% the warning lights come on. I drive 2 km each day in city/traffic and on weekend we go on road trips about 100km. Apparently this is not enough.

Pete@LR how can the car reach 3000RPM at 40mph unless you drive in low gear? At 110km/hr mine runs at around 2000RPM (9speed auto gearbox)

2015 Range Rover Evoque Pure-Tech SD4
- Fuji White with Ebony Interior, ClearView Pack, HDD Navigation, Panoramic sunroof, Privacy glass
01-10-2015 09:35am
Donny Dog

(06-08-2015 06:48am)Steve D Wrote:  Hmm. I'm currently thinking of getting an Evoque but as we only do short journeys, the DPF issue is worrying me. A few years ago (2009) we bought a brand new TDI Golf and every now and then the car would auto regenerate presumably because of the short journeys we undertook. However, the Golf did it at low speeds and the regen continued even after the car was switched off - you knew when it was doing it as the cooling fan kept running when you locked and left the car plus you could smell the raw diesel being burnt.

If we go ahead with an Evoque purchase, how often will we need to take it out for a proper blast to clear the DPF out? Are there any short journey town users on here that could give me an idea? We will probably average 6-8,000 miles per year in it. Thanks.

My wife has had an SD4 for over 3 years and mainly uses it for short local journeys, certainly not achieving 40 mph for over 20 minutes. Longer journeys occur once every few weeks at best. Annual mileage is about 6,000. However, the DPF warning light has never come on. When I first read about the DPF issue I was also concerned, as having to make such journeys would be wasteful and inconvenient, but I was, and hopefully you are, worrying for nothing.
01-10-2015 09:52am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

If the car is a 9 speed auto, the DPF light comes on and you have had a gearbox ECU update recently then I would highly recommend that you get the DPF sensor checked out. After my last Evoque had the software upgrade I had recurring problems with the DPF sensor being damaged after the software upgrade........... which is one of the reasons why I am now driving an RRS and am not about to order my 3rd Evoque.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
01-10-2015 10:03am
lr_evoque

(01-10-2015 10:03am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  If the car is a 9 speed auto, the DPF light comes on and you have had a gearbox ECU update recently then I would highly recommend that you get the DPF sensor

My apologies, my sensor has not come on yet. The dealer told me that it will com on when the soot level is at 25%. Mine was at 21% and they did a manual regen. Only time will tell.

2015 Range Rover Evoque Pure-Tech SD4
- Fuji White with Ebony Interior, ClearView Pack, HDD Navigation, Panoramic sunroof, Privacy glass
01-10-2015 11:10am