Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.67 Average
Cracked Panoramic Roof
Neo

RE: Cracked Panoramic Roof

Could it be a design flaw due to vibrations from the car travelling might cause the crack?

SD4 Dynamic, Fuji white 5 door
Pano roof, Adaptive Dynamics, style 7 wheels, auto tailgate, reverse camera, rear vents

Ordered: April 2012 | Built: June 2012 | Delivered: 14 August 2012
07-06-2012 04:31am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Alexknndy

Hiya everyone,

Had my RR Evoque since June last year and love this car.
Went out to my car Friday morning and helped my 4 year old into her car seat looked up and to my horror there was an enormous crack running right along the breadth of the pano roof.
In complete panic I checked quickly the outside of the pano roof and there is a minuscule mark 0.1mm chip and the crack appears to be under it. But so small hard to confirm. There is no ridge when running finger along outside of roof it appears to be in the middle layers as its the same inside.
Phoned Land rover straight away and took the car 35 miles to dealership.
What happened next is a disgrace a man appeared like Mr Benn and advised me, "he's never heard of this happening before". Examined the roof for 15 seconds and said, "It's a stone chip and your warranty won't cover it". After I burst out laughing out of both anger and nervousness. I asked him," this glass must be toughened in some way"?
" Dont think so its the same as your windscreen".
I left advising I would be in touch.
Need advice guys on how to handle this. Do not want to have to pay £350 excess lose my no claims and have an mi in the process.
03-03-2013 07:34pm
PhilSkill

Try another dealer? Check your insurance, get in touch with customer services.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
04-03-2013 12:01am
gibber6575

Alex,

As PhilSkill has said try speaking with customer services, Liam Hayward on here has been very helpful with me, trying to resolve an issue with my dealer. Send him a PM and see if he can help you out.

This is just another example of how poor the service from the LR dealers has become.
04-03-2013 07:25am
WB
WB

Who are you insured with? I specifically chose Privelege as they cover glass roofs/sunroofs as a glass claim - yours may be the same.

Also get the service manager involved and tell them you want it raised as an LR claim against warranty. They will have to raise it and then it is up to LR to inspect / review if it is a valid claim.

At the evoque launch back in June 2011 I pointed out to the product manager that one of the display evoques had a crack in its pano roof and while none of the LR employees had noticed it there were no signs of any external damage at all so there are definitely going to be some cases where this happens because of flexing etc of the body which should ultimately in my opinion be a warranty claim.

Keep us posted.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 12:10pm by WB.)
04-03-2013 12:10pm
alibeau

Been there, done that and got the t-shirt Crying ......

I put my cracked pano roof down to a stone chip. I still can't believe that is what caused it but like you, there was a *tiny* chip/mark on the exterior of the glass which could be felt and then a huge crack running the length of the roof from one corner, it was inside the glass and could not be felt either inside or outside the car....

Had the 'chip' not been there I would have definitely persued a warranty claim but both Hubby and I felt I didn't have a leg to stand on given the mark on the outside of the glass......

Claimed through my insurance with Admiral, I have protected no claims and a low excess so the whole ordeal was not too painful for me (with the benefit of hindsight, I was distraught at the time!!)... but I did have to claim on the main policy and not the glass cover....

On my previous vehicle I had a large sunroof and rarely closed the blind. With my Evoque I have found that I prefer to have the blind closed (as do the kids) so my next Evoque will definitely be without the pano roof....

Good luck.

Ali.

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 07:12pm by alibeau.)
04-03-2013 07:08pm
recordman

Having read through the thread, I checked with my insurer LV= (through Nationwide) and they confirmed that the pano roof would be covered by the glass claim part of the policy. Replacement would be subject to their normal £125 excess. They stipulate, like most insurers, that Autoglass (or similar) deal with the replacement. I asked what would happen if Autoglass were unable to do the work and they said that they (LV=) would pay for the replacement roof, provided the policyholder contacted Autoglass in the first instance.

I looked at RAC insurance and they specifically exclude pano roofs.

For the best result I hope Alex succeeds in getting LR to accept responsibilty.
04-03-2013 07:09pm
Alexknndy

Hi,

Interesting day. Can I first say thank you for your concern.
Phoned customer care team for land rover and got a very pleasant man who asked for photographs for his team to examine. After that I got a phone call from my insurance company who want to have my glass replaced. They have contacted land rover and I have been advised that they will replace the roof and all I have to pay is my £75 excess for glass repair. I suppose that is good news.
But my concern here is there are obviously problems with these pano roofs.
I was contacted at approx 16.30 today and advised that land rover don't need to replace this glass under warranty as it is from a stone chip. I have examined these photographs and cannot see how they are coming up with this as it is not obvious at all. They must have a crack csi squad and I'm impressed. Fact is they cannot state this as final incident as they have no proof for this. I have today taken the car to a Nissan garage and both senior mechanics stated that it is ? A structural crack as it runs right across breadth of roof.
So as far as land rover are concerned a tiny stone is capable of taking one of the best off road cars permanently off the road. I asked so if I roll my car onto a tiny stone the whole roof is going to cave in. ? The safety of these cars then. So this is obviously going to happen again and again.
One of the reasons I bought this car was to protect my 4 year old daughter. Not so sure now.
04-03-2013 07:16pm
WB
WB

(04-03-2013 07:16pm)Alexknndy Wrote:  Hi,

Interesting day. Can I first say thank you for your concern.
Phoned customer care team for land rover and got a very pleasant man who asked for photographs for his team to examine. After that I got a phone call from my insurance company who want to have my glass replaced. They have contacted land rover and I have been advised that they will replace the roof and all I have to pay is my £75 excess for glass repair. I suppose that is good news.
But my concern here is there are obviously problems with these pano roofs.
I was contacted at approx 16.30 today and advised that land rover don't need to replace this glass under warranty as it is from a stone chip. I have examined these photographs and cannot see how they are coming up with this as it is not obvious at all. They must have a crack csi squad and I'm impressed. Fact is they cannot state this as final incident as they have no proof for this. I have today taken the car to a Nissan garage and both senior mechanics stated that it is ? A structural crack as it runs right across breadth of roof.
So as far as land rover are concerned a tiny stone is capable of taking one of the best off road cars permanently off the road. I asked so if I roll my car onto a tiny stone the whole roof is going to cave in. ? The safety of these cars then. So this is obviously going to happen again and again.
One of the reasons I bought this car was to protect my 4 year old daughter. Not so sure now.

Who at LR told you it is a chip and how on earth could they justify coming to that conclusion from photos? That is nonsensical. If I was you I'd push the matter and tell them you want an independent inspection as your own independent inspection thinks it is structural.

LR should know better than to fob people off especially with issues that are structural/safety related. While I'm sure some of these cracks are going to be down to stone chips the one I saw at the launch certainly didn't seem to be!

If we all let them off by claiming on our insurance when we don't believe it is a stone chip then they will never own up to cases when it isn't!
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 09:16pm by WB.)
04-03-2013 09:15pm
BobHLR

(06-01-2012 04:25pm)Mr P Wrote:  Hi All,

Have been the proud owner of an Evoque (Prestige SD4 Auto) for 2 weeks and i am dissapointed to say i have acquired a stone chip in my Panoramic roof that has caused the roof to crack approx 14 inches. I have contacted Landrover Customer services who say it is bad luck SadSad and have now found out that i have to claim off my insurance as an accident hence pay excess and lose no claims.

Not what you vcall a good start !!!!!

My new Land Rover Discovery started to show cracks starting from the rear of the Panoramic Glass roof. Took it to my dealer who were keen to sort it out as they could not initially see any immediate impact that may have caused this. They managed to escalate the problem and the Land Rover Customer Care Team very enthusiastically tried to help.
Unfortunately they have told me that its not there problem as they have found a small impact chip that would have caused this and sent me an estimate invoice of £2400 so they could fix it. !!!!!!! My insurance company have been brilliant and have said they will fix it without me loosing my no claims bonus.
Land Rover have suggested that if I use this very well known National supplier it could cause warranty problems.
I am very disappointed with Land Rover over this. They had a great opportunity to sort this out as they very clearly have an issue with the Glass Panoramic roofs on both Evoque's and Discovery Sports. If they crack like this with the slightest of chips, I can see me replacing the roof every year. It will make me think twice before buying another Discovery Sport again. These cars are not cheap.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2016 07:53pm by BobHLR.)
08-12-2016 07:35pm