Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Blown Tyre
Stadt Panzer

Blown Tyre

Just spent 2 hours waiting on the side of the M20 waiting for land rover assistance to send the AA after the front right tyre burst at 80 mph!

Now sat in a hotel near Maidstone until tomorrow as there is no 20" tyres available!

Somewhere in the North Sea.
24-11-2013 04:44pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
m_101

RE: Blown Tyre

ouch! bad luck mate - hope you're OK and not too shaken up.

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
24-11-2013 05:02pm
recordman

It's at times like this LR assist are worth their weight in gold. Even if you carry a spare there's no way anyone in their right mind would attempt to change an offside wheel on a UK motorway.

2013 SD4 Prestige auto/5dr/OG/Fuji pano roof
24-11-2013 05:21pm
Stadt Panzer

Blown Tyre

We are all fine, thanks. Quiet a few Evoques passed us but no one stopped and asked if we needed any help!!

Wouldn't mind normally but we are/were on our way home towards Germany.

24-11-2013 05:53pm
Nantmoel

I have needed two 20" tyres on my Evoque I only have 4600 miles on it now, am I glad I took out the Alloy and Tyre insurance in March when I bought it. It only pays out £250 per claim but it helps to keep away the tears.

Arrived March 4th 2013: 2.2 SD4 Dynamic 5dr Auto, Firenze Red with Santorini Black Contrast Roof with full Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, 20" Shadow Alloy Wheels, Heated Steering Wheel, Powered Tail Gate, Park Assist and TV.
24-11-2013 09:47pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

SP, any idea what tyhe cause was? Did you run over something on the carriageway?

I have to agree with Nantmoel - I took out Wheel and Tyre insurance when I took delivery, In the first 3 months of owning the car I ran over the edge of one of those large steel plates that are sometimes put over large repairs/holes in the road and slashed the inside of the sidewall. The tyre didn't deflate and I only noticed the damage 3 months later when I was about to refit the 20"s after running on my winter tyres. I recovered the full cost of the premium in the first claim and like nantmoel found that the limit to any claim was £270 in my case, for a tyre that's full list price was £330. The insurance covered up to 4 replacement tyres and 5 alloy wheel refurbs in the 5 years period of cover.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
24-11-2013 09:57pm
Stadt Panzer

Blown Tyre

Tim, didn't hit a thing, be interested to see the damaged wall tomorrow maybe then I can pin point what caused it.

Wouldn't really mind as these things happen but the car is sold next week and it's money I wasn't planning on spending on it.

Thing is I'm going to have replace both front tyres as it's better.

24-11-2013 10:51pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Isn't that the way it always goes! 2 years puncture motoring until the last week of ownership - happened to my last RRS 2 weeks before I was part exchanging it and I also had to buy 2 new tyres .............. such is life.

Did you also miss your ferry or were you intending to stop overnight in one of the south coast ports?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 24-11-2013 11:19pm by XFullFatTim.)
24-11-2013 11:19pm
Stadt Panzer

Blown Tyre

Yeah missed the tunnel, not a fan of ferrys, must say though it's the first time it's ever happened to me, blown tyre, in the last 10 or more years.

I've been lucky in that the new owner has agreed to pay for the second tyre as I told him that he'd need new ones for next season when he agreed to buy it.

24-11-2013 11:43pm
Jeroma

(24-11-2013 09:47pm)Nantmoel Wrote:  I have needed two 20" tyres on my Evoque I only have 4600 miles on it now, am I glad I took out the Alloy and Tyre insurance in March when I bought it. It only pays out £250 per claim but it helps to keep away the tears.

Must say this is one reason why I opted for 18 inch wheels, bigger tyres are far more giving in rough terrain, and these days road maintenance is not anymore what it was years ago Crying

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
other cars in house: Renault Megane CC
1960 Triumph TR3A in BRG - on Webers
1970 Triumph TR6PI in jasmine on EFI
26-11-2013 12:26am