Poll: Black Alloys or Not!!!
Black Alloys
Silver Alloys
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
Black Alloys!!!
jitenc

Black Alloys!!!

Hi Everyone...
So whats the word out there on the 20" Black Alloys..... They look meaner,... and no chance of them looking dirty... what's the deal if they get scuffed... do all four need to be send for refurb... i now have my heart on the black...Twisted Evil

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
16-09-2011 05:38pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Black Alloys!!!

Believe it or not dark grey and black wheels show road grim more than silver. I have anthracite coloured ZU's on my Defender and they get dirty far more quicky than standard alloys. The only thing black alloys are good for is hiding brake dust stains............. but I would love a set of them for my car. They would probably look better on a Fuji White Evoque with the contrast roof than on an all white Evoque

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 16-09-2011 05:46pm by XFullFatTim.)
16-09-2011 05:45pm
jitenc

The black alloys are standard option on the pure... just chacked out the website... strange... any reason why... or is the RRE website just a guide???

16-09-2011 05:52pm
cjfp

@jitenc - check out the small print. They are not standard. They are being shown purely as an option and are sold as 'Rim Only'

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
16-09-2011 05:55pm
XFullFatTim

They are also a dealer fit option not factory fitted IIRC, then you have to buy the special wheel nuts at £160+ and the wheel centres, then the tyres to go on them! Unless of course having spent that much on a set of wheels you want to put them under a sheet of tempered glass and make a coffee table out of them instead

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 16-09-2011 05:58pm by XFullFatTim.)
16-09-2011 05:58pm
jitenc

Ok. End of forum thread... got the picture.. my mistake... Silver alloys win for me... thanks Tim.. i think i will buy Black Alloy paint!!! In the meantime... i will keep on dreaming...

16-09-2011 06:09pm
cutter7

(16-09-2011 06:09pm)jitenc Wrote:  Ok. End of forum thread... got the picture.. my mistake... Silver alloys win for me... thanks Tim.. i think i will buy Black Alloy paint!!! In the meantime... i will keep on dreaming...

Please, don't spray them with Black Alloy paint.. they will look crap after a week, why not Powder Coat?

It really isn't that expensive..get some quotes..

16-09-2011 07:09pm
XFullFatTim

Any good alloy wheel refurbisher should be able to either do it for you or recommend somewhere. Jitenc, contact NickM on the forums as he will know a company that he can recommend, he lives in west London too and was at the Lookers Here and Now event last Thursday

16-09-2011 07:24pm
jitenc

Thanks for the advice... i think i will stick with the silver.... and when i am ready or when the silver have got scuffed, then it may be a good time to maybe powder coat them... hope i have got some people thinking about long term aftercare for their wheels
... sorry about my naivity... first time i am going to own a RR...

16-09-2011 08:26pm
Spiderman

I have another car with black gloss alloys, a problem you perhaps need to be aware of is that they scratch incredibly easy when cleaning and can look like an ice skater has been on them in no time. Alloys harbour grit and grime and no matter how careful you are when washing them you will cause scratches to them at some point....if you do a gentle compound should restore them.

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
17-09-2011 09:50am