Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
*** Best price fuel ***
Belvoirbloke

*** Best price fuel ***

Diesel is £1.37 PL at ASDA Grantham. (probably all Asdas).
By contrast 2 miles away on the A1, £1.44 at some "captive audience" garage. So to fill up
it’s £5.00-odd cheaper.
Have you noticed it’s always the same places that have the higher prices? If you complain
you always get told “it’s out of our hands”. Hmm .

I think this hold be in a different category, sorry !

lover’s tiff over Razz
Prestige SD4 auto, 5DR, Orkney Grey, Ivory/Dark Cherry/Pano/Power Tailgate
(This post was last modified: 29-05-2012 08:52am by Belvoirbloke.)
29-05-2012 08:49am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ojonesyo

RE: *** Best price fuel ***

(29-05-2012 08:49am)Belvoirbloke Wrote:  Diesel is £1.37 PL at ASDA Grantham. (probably all Asdas).
By contrast 2 miles away on the A1, £1.44 at some "captive audience" garage. So to fill up
it’s £5.00-odd cheaper.
Have you noticed it’s always the same places that have the higher prices? If you complain

You might need to consider both cost AND quality of fuel/MPG. In my current Mercedes SLK I found myself almost empty one day and filled with Shell Premium Unleaded. My MPG reading instantly changed from 37 to 44MPG! Yes, I had just paid an extra 10p? per litre but my economy soared by ....er .....20%?. Next time your tank is low, you might try out cheap versus premium versions to see whether cheapest fuel does really offer the best Value for money?
29-05-2012 09:04am
PhilSkill

Price has dropped in the last couple of weeks by 8p that's over 5%, about time!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
29-05-2012 09:28am
Straydox

(29-05-2012 08:49am)Belvoirbloke Wrote:  Diesel is £1.37 PL at ASDA Grantham. (probably all Asdas).
it’s £5.00-odd cheaper.

I subscribe to this Link(it's free) and gives me a weekly update of the best diesel (or petrol) prices in my area....neat!

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
29-05-2012 12:07pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Until this spring I always used Shell ordinary diesel but when the price difference between the local Shell filling station and Sainsbury's (which is also closer to home) forecourt got to 10p a litre I started filling up at Sainsbury and collected Nectar points instead of useless Shell Driver Club points. The fuel made no difference to the MPG - what made a huge difference was the outside air temperature and it was noticable that when we started to get daytime temperatures above 7c-8c my fuel consumption improved by about 4 mpg.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
29-05-2012 01:59pm
Evo-king

The Owners Manual refers to using a specific EN rating and no lower, when I was at the Tesco garage the other day I made a note of their EN rating for basic diesel, it was exactly what was in the Manual.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
29-05-2012 09:41pm
speary

(29-05-2012 01:59pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Until this spring I always used Shell ordinary diesel but when the price difference between the local Shell filling station and Sainsbury's (which is also closer to home) forecourt got to 10p a litre I started filling up at Sainsbury and collected Nectar points instead of useless Shell Driver Club points. The fuel made no difference to the MPG - what made a huge difference was the outside air temperature and it was noticable that when we started to get daytime temperatures above 7c-8c my fuel consumption improved by about 4 mpg.

You should get better consumption/performance with colder air as it contains more oxygen than warm air

I am just doing a trail to see if Shell V Power diesel gives better consumption than standard Shell Diesel.
I got 37.8 mpg over 400 miles last week with V Power diesel.

For inf,o last week on the M62 medium traffic and staying under 65 mph I was averaging 40 mpg, then into 50 mph roadworks where the average rose to 46 mpg
To be honest I thought it would be better than that
I did get an improvement with Shell V Power petrol in my A5

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
30-05-2012 01:01pm
PhilSkill

(30-05-2012 01:01pm)speary Wrote:  You should get better consumption/performance with colder air as it contains more oxygen than warm air

I am just doing a trail to see if Shell V Power diesel gives better consumption than standard Shell Diesel.

For inf,o last week on the M62 medium traffic and staying under 65 mph I was averaging 40 mpg, then into 50 mph roadworks where the average rose to 46 mpg

In theory yes and probably true in a laborotory test, but reality depends more on speed, length of journey, hills, time taken to heat the engine up to optimum temperature, winter fuel additives, use of heater, blower and air-con, even the pyschology of driving style in different conditions.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
30-05-2012 01:46pm
Belvoirbloke

(30-05-2012 01:01pm)speary Wrote:  You should get better consumption/performance with colder air as it contains more oxygen than warm air

Wouldn’t it be true to say also though in hot conditions oil is more lubricious, therefore there is less friction = less consumption ?

lover’s tiff over Razz
Prestige SD4 auto, 5DR, Orkney Grey, Ivory/Dark Cherry/Pano/Power Tailgate
(This post was last modified: 30-05-2012 02:33pm by Belvoirbloke.)
30-05-2012 02:32pm
WorldTraveler

Im using good old "Asda" Diesel ... and I get 38mpg, only done 2400 miles though ..

Delivered 31st March 2012
Pure, 5 Door, TD4, Manual, Firenze Red, Tech Pack, Front Fogs, Xenon, Pano Roof

Track Consumption Using The Site Below
[Image: 117709.png]
30-05-2012 02:58pm