Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Beaten by the Touareg
Evoqess

Beaten by the Touareg

The Canadian Car of the Year awards have just been announced. Bunch of journalists indulging in a test-fest of 180 models for four days.

"The rigorous testing program includes "real world" driving on public roads – exactly where consumers drive - so that the test, and vote, results are relevant to potential car and truck buyers.
Every member of a test team compares each vehicle in its class, back-to-back, on the same roads, under the same conditions to ensure objective evaluation.

Team members use a detailed rating form, comprising 21 separate evaluation parameters that include acceleration, braking, vehicle dynamics, maneuverability, even off-road capability, where applicable. Each parameter is rated using a prescribed 0 – 10 rating scale. "

The Evoque was thrown into the $35,000-60,000 category with the price of the tested vehicle being about $49,700 (pretty sure this is a non Dynamic, non Prestige price - maybe Pure with a pano roof or something ...... Base price in Canada is 46,995 FYI).

The Evoque came second Crying

The Touareg diesel ($53,600) came first. I'm sorry but how did this happen! Almost came third just ahead of
the BMW X1 by a point! Skimming over the results shows the VW to be superior in most categories except for styling /steering /braking /acceleration/ fuel economy and off road capability.

I think this warrants a discussion. Isn't the Touareg a bigger beast - how can it be compared. Oh yes, by price *gulp*. Fortunately I want a smaller, better looking vehicle with off road superiority!! Smile

http://www.ajac.ca/web/ccoty/2012/compar...sp?cat=127

http://www.ajac.ca/web/ccoty/vehicle_print.asp?eid=749

http://www.ajac.ca/web/ccoty/vehicle_print.asp?eid=748

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
28-10-2011 09:30pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Token

RE: Beaten by the Touareg

I had a Touareg and it was a great car...but it can't touch the Evoque as far as I'm concerned.

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
28-10-2011 11:08pm
PhilSkill

It certainly looks like a Pure as 17" wheels, wouldn't have help handling as VW on 255/55 18, and given the test was mainly on average road, should have entered the SD4 would have helped score on efficiency, they marked the space down, well yes its smaller!? and also the interior down! (6) ok its Pure but still pretty darn good interior, also VW spec is 4-5k dearer! I looked at the VW's before choosing Evoque, it is a good contender but it was lacking in... well it just looks like something to take the kids to school in, of which I dont have this requirement, its not something special.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
28-10-2011 11:32pm
Evoqess

Yes, they should have tested a Prestige - and no diesels available in Canada currently. In the aftermath I have seen large newspaper ads proclaiming the Touareg to be the best SUV in this price range beating "formidable" opponents. What hogwash Wink

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
03-11-2011 06:21pm
mark_n

(03-11-2011 06:21pm)Evoqess Wrote:  Yes, they should have tested a Prestige - and no diesels available in Canada currently. In the aftermath I have seen large newspaper ads proclaiming the Touareg to be the best SUV in this price range beating "formidable" opponents. What hogwash Wink

Yes, the Evoque won in the categories which are important to me. I doubt the Evoque is causing problems for the low-end Korean SUVs or the high-end Porsche Cayenne (even though it is based on the Toureg). However, the Germans - Audi, BMW, Mercedes and VW are right in the sights of the Evoque but they do need a more powerful version...

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2011 06:40pm by mark_n.)
03-11-2011 06:29pm
BigFoot

This is exactly the dilemma I am having. Evoque is awesome looking but not quite as refined as the Touareg TDI. Consider these features, standard at the same price: 12 way adjustable seats with memory for BOTH driver and passenger, AC power outlet, AC in the glove box for cold drinks, 60G hard drive for tunes AND 6 disk changer, GPS route options include fuel efficient route, full panaramic ROOF OPENS, 275 width tires, more storage, center section of rear seat folds allowing 60/40 or 40/60, separate control for mirror heat, and the back seat vents emit both heat and AC. Similar handling, similar response -I've driven both (about 15 less HP, about 170 more lb-ft of torque for the Touareg). Only reason I can find to go with Evoque are sound system, driving modes (Toureg trys to automatically detect modes), looks, and looks. Not sure if that outweighs such well thought out features. Especially when aftermarket sound systems are plentiful. Help me out. Are there features I am missing Evoque has over Touareg?
07-04-2012 08:00pm
Donny Dog

Mmmmm....smell those Touareg camp fires...........
07-04-2012 08:41pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

But the Toureg is in the RRS / Disco4 class, Toureg is HUGE and IIRC the newest version isn't off road usable out of the showroom unless you spec the off road pack. Interesting that VW/Audi/Porsche an make a TDi that can also get round the extremely strict California Diesel regs because hardly any other makers can do it cost effectively

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
07-04-2012 09:31pm
ytshome

Seems pretty fair to me. I nearly bought the Touareg, its a good well built car with a strong engine and whilst saying its more expensive than the Evoque is fair on paper only because in the real world there are big discounts in the uk on the VW but thankfully still nothing on the evoque.

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
07-04-2012 10:27pm
J77

Fair play to the touareg. Two different cars for two different markets. I think Volkswagen make the dullest, most boring looking cars inside and out, reliable and well made I will give them that but there is just no imagination.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2012 01:11am by J77.)
08-04-2012 01:09am