Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Battery conditioners
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Battery conditioners

I have been using a battery conditioner that plugs into one of the 12v power points or the cigarette lighter when my previous cars have sat unused for more than 2 weeks. I have never suffered a flat battery in the winter or if the car has been left at the airport as a result (I have a solar powered conditioner as well as a mains one).
Today I have been trying to find out if I can still plug in the conditioner with the Evoque but am not able to find which power point can be used as none seem to remain live with the ignition turned off. Any advice, tips?

BTW I have more than enough volunteers from within the family to take the car out for an exercise run now and again so that offer is well covered thanks - no more offers are required Laughing

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2011 03:46pm by XFullFatTim.)
07-10-2011 03:44pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
defender_uk

RE: Battery conditioners

I could never get the conditioner to work on the RRS either Tim...used to use it all the time on the RR. Still do on the Defender.

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
07-10-2011 03:50pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gomark

(07-10-2011 03:44pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I have been using a battery conditioner that plugs into one of the 12v power points or the cigarette lighter when my previous cars have sat unused for more than 2 weeks. I have never suffered a flat battery in the winter or if the car has been left at the airport as a result (I have a solar powered conditioner as well as a mains one).
Today I have been trying to find out if I can still plug in the conditioner with the Evoque but am not able to find which power point can be used as none seem to remain live with the ignition turned off. Any advice, tips?

BTW I have more than enough volunteers from within the family to take the car out for an exercise run now and again so that offer is well covered thanks - no more offers are required Laughing

its strange that my BMW could sit for weeks without any issues, where as my Porsche, and other prestige brands seem to drain their batteries quicker than my iphone.

Have just bought a solar trickle charger for the Porsche as I will be less likely to run it in the winter. Literally 5 days of no use and alarms go off, lights flash - always perfectly timed for about 4 am!! Twisted Evil

Tim, With the Solar one, does it work inside the car or do you leave it on the outside somewhere?

07-10-2011 03:53pm
M30 EVO

Battery conditioners

Tim, you may have modify one of the 12v outlets to become permanently live, ie not ignition sensitive. Although the instructions will be different, do a search on the RRS forum, someone put a how to guide on there which also worked on my D3.

On order: Dynamic SD4 Manual Coupe, Orkney Grey, Black Roof, Privacy Glass, Vortex Int, Ebony Headlining.

Delivery: Was 25/11/11, Currently 28/12/11..............
07-10-2011 04:01pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Mark, yes in the FFRR I used to plug it into the boot socket and leave the panel on the either the dash top or the centre cubby box lid and never had a problem with a flat battery. The solar panel I use has recently been on offer at Maplin for £12, well worth it if it saves you from having to buy a new battery and go through all the other hassles that a modern car gives when the battery goes flat. One thing that is quite surprising with these little solar jobs is how little light they need to keep the battery topped up. Most of last winter my FFRR sat out on the drive covered in up to 20cm of snow yet through the smallest chinks in the snow my father could see the indicator LED was still winking away to indicate it was putting some charge into the battery.
I have a mains powered charger but have never used it, the Evqoue is the first car in nearly 20 years that I have had that will get into my garage and I am loathe to leave the charger plugged into the mains and croc clipped onto the battery with the bonnet open/ ajar.

My Defender battery is amazing, it is 16 years old and even in the deepest winter after many months of sitting unloved it will fire up the engine usually after two cycles of the glow plug - it does only have a clock to power though while it is sitting there, no immobilisers or alarm systems etc. I have never need to put it on a charger ever!

M30 - thanks for the pointer, I will take a look over on RRS.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2011 04:07pm by XFullFatTim.)
07-10-2011 04:03pm
Rootsboy

Amazon are doing a great deal on Ctek CTE-XS7000 Car Battery Chargers right now, almost half price, it brought one of my battery's back to life the other month, so well worth it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ctek-CTE-XS7000-...985&sr=1-3

SD4 Prestige 5 Door Manual. Fuji White. 20" Style 6 Wheels. Vibe-Ebony Interior and Header. Panoramic Roof. AD. Privacy and Solar Attenuating Glass. Surround Camera, Heated Seats. Pollution Sensor. Rear Vents. 825W Sound and a Spare Wheel
07-10-2011 04:10pm
Spiderman

Tim,

Plug your Battery Conditioners adaptor into the 12v Socket thats on the left hand side wall of the boot as this socket remains live 24/7.

It's the same for the FL2 and most other LRs with the socket in the same place. I wouldn't recommend anyone attempts to plug these to the cabin 12v Sockets as you may well blow a fuse.

Hope this helps...
Peter

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
08-10-2011 12:55pm
bell-auto-services

Ill see if i can dig out acwireing diagram and work out how to modify one of the rear sockets to keep it live.

Pete

TV/DVD-On-The-Move modules available from £145+ £10 UK mainland shipping Excluding higlands and Islands.
08-10-2011 01:05pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Spiderman

(08-10-2011 01:05pm)bell-auto-services Wrote:  Ill see if i can dig out acwireing diagram and work out how to modify one of the rear sockets to keep it live.

Pete

No need Pete, the 12v socket in the boot is live 24/7....

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2011 01:32pm by Spiderman.)
08-10-2011 01:32pm
bell-auto-services

Ahh cool, thank you Spiderman

Pete

TV/DVD-On-The-Move modules available from £145+ £10 UK mainland shipping Excluding higlands and Islands.
08-10-2011 02:01pm