Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
car over filled with oil
Stadt Panzer

car over filled with oil

That's on the upper limit for me. The perfect level is just below the upper notch.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
23-03-2013 10:52pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bowl

RE: car over filled with oil

(23-03-2013 10:52pm)Stadt Panzer Wrote:  That's on the upper limit for me. The perfect level is just below the upper notch.

Thanks. I just sucked out another 200 ml (that makes 1.2 liters that I had to suck out).
Now it is perfect, just below the notch.

I hope running for the past 800 km (500 miles) with 1.2 liters overfilled oil didn't hurt the engine or the DPF.
**fingers crossed**

Evoque SD4 Coupé Dynamic, Fuji White, Santoriny Pano roof, Lux pack, RSE, style 8 wheels, along with everything else.
23-03-2013 11:37pm
scrannel

Measured at running temp, right?

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
24-03-2013 02:47am
Stadt Panzer

car over filled with oil

Bowl, don't want to scare you but.... a mate of mine is the service manager at my LR dealership and one of his young lads over filled an RRS with oil, drove it and bang.....engine was destroyed. Insurance company paid the bill but even so...... lad still kept his job but the lad who was watching him lost his...

Somewhere in the North Sea.
24-03-2013 05:38pm
Bowl

(24-03-2013 05:38pm)Stadt Panzer Wrote:  Bowl, don't want to scare you but.... a mate of mine is the service manager at my LR dealership and one of his young lads over filled an RRS with oil, drove it and bang.....engine was destroyed. Insurance company paid the bill but even so...... lad still kept his job but the lad who was watching him lost his...

Mine isn't destroyed right away and it didn't show any sign of glitches, does this mean I'm safe now that the level is normal?

Evoque SD4 Coupé Dynamic, Fuji White, Santoriny Pano roof, Lux pack, RSE, style 8 wheels, along with everything else.
24-03-2013 05:50pm
Kojak

(24-03-2013 05:50pm)Bowl Wrote:  Mine isn't destroyed right away and it didn't show any sign of glitches, does this mean I'm safe now that the level is normal?

I would say there is a very good chance your ordeal is over.
All the extra pressures of over filling have now been removed and nothing gave up!
I'm no expert and this is only my opinion.
But what I can tell you is that once over a system is over pressurised enough to break a weak spot, the results are typically seen instantly because the pressure is still as intense until it rips the thing apart and gets released.
So if the pressure from over filling started to do damage, it would have been relentless because the damaged part (now weaker) will not stand the same pressure as when it was a good part yet the pressure would have been the same.

And most things are tested to pressures above their design pressure.
I work in the oil industry and I know that pipework is typically tested to 1.5 times the design pressure and in operation the design pressure is rarely installed to be used on the limit of its design.

I think you are OK.

For info
The manual states the OIL SHOULD BE COLD.
This to me simply suggests better accuracy.
It then goes on to suggest that if you need to do it while the engine is hot that you should leave it to stand and try to park level.
Thinking about it, if you are lowish on oil, parked on a slope and didn't let the oil travel back down then you are more likely to over fill if you take the dip stick level at face value.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

OUT - Pure SD4, Orkney Grey, 5 dr, Manual, Fogs, Xenons, Auto dim mirror, Auto lights / wipers, Power fold mirrors, spare wheel.
IN - Dynamic SD4, Indus Silver, 5 dr, Auto, Heated Steering Wheel, Auto Dim mirror, Spare wheel.
(This post was last modified: 24-03-2013 06:54pm by Kojak.)
24-03-2013 06:50pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

If it really worries you then grab the wife's turkey baster, find some small bore fish-tank piping and join the two together, push the pipe down the dipstick tube and suck out the excess.................... make sure you clean the turkey baster thoroughly before sneaking it back into the kitchen.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
24-03-2013 07:18pm
Evo-king

Do they not use flushing fluid anymore?

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
24-03-2013 07:42pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Service time is so short I suspect there isn't even time to properly drain the old oil from the sump, long gone are the days when the car was left overnight with the sump-plug out dripping the old oil into a drip tray.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
24-03-2013 08:11pm