Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anyone tried off-road look on wheels?
PapaRod

Anyone tried off-road look on wheels?

Being a Swede winter is closing up fast and hence I need to choose rims for my winter setup.

Playing with the thought of running an off-road look by putting on rougher rims (like the Mickey Thompson II Black) with rougher off-road tires.

I understand it might not be in everyones taste, but as I like the idea of combining the "Mrs Beckhamish" with a rougher detail - I thought I'd ask around if any of the forum-members did try it - and by any chance happen to have pics to it?Bow down

A small apology might be in place - perhaps should have used the Search function first...anyway - should you have pics pls feel free to share.

Pure SD, Fuji, TechPack 1, Clearview, Auto, Privacy, Park assist - now with a towbar...Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2012 05:34pm by PapaRod.)
06-09-2012 05:27pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Anyone tried off-road look on wheels?

Off road tyres might look good but they are very noisy on road and braking is crap with them. They also are not winter tyres, not sure how things are insurance and legally in Sweden running in the winter on tyres not designed for snow use. I run BFG MTRs on my Defender all year round but they are lethal on snow and ice

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2012 06:15pm by XFullFatTim.)
06-09-2012 05:47pm
PapaRod

(06-09-2012 05:47pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Off road tyres might look good but they are very noisy on road and braking is crap with them. They also are not winter tyres, not sure how things are insurance and legally in Sweden running in the winter on tyres not designed for snow use. I run BFG MTRs on my Defender all year road but they are lethal on snow and ice

Thanks. Off-roaders can be a pain - I know - but I used to run a Jeep Embarrassed with General Grabbers and they were fine both by noice and grip - even with the poor american road capability...

But you're right in that only a few models are winter approved over here.

Pure SD, Fuji, TechPack 1, Clearview, Auto, Privacy, Park assist - now with a towbar...Very Happy
06-09-2012 06:02pm
XFullFatTim

Nothing wrong with a Jeep, very competent off road and nearly as useless on road as a Defender!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2012 06:17pm by XFullFatTim.)
06-09-2012 06:16pm
PapaRod

True, can't deny it was good fun - just not as comfortable as Mrs Beckhams latest....

06-09-2012 06:26pm
Eddy

How do you like the wheels on this site:

http://www.matzker.de/index.php?cPath=30_41

Matzker is a large German LR dealer who does also rally racing with a defender and even having a LRE under construction.
I'm tempted too on those 19 or 20" wheels in grey. They can outfit them with any tyre you want.

On order: SD 5d Pure , Fuji White, Ebony leather, 18" style 2, Clear View Pack, Tech Pack, Tow bar, spare wheel, Satnav: what does a man need more....
09-09-2012 09:28pm
PapaRod

No off-road tires this time...has to settle for something a bit more subtle..

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 20-09-2012 01:32pm by PapaRod.)
20-09-2012 01:28pm
XFullFatTim

Are there any insurance implications using off road tyres on the paved highway in Sweden? Don't you have to use ice tyres with spikes as well in the winter over there. When I lived in Iceland they were mandatory even though it doesn't get that cold, it was because they don't grit or plough the roads when it snows they compact it instead.......... Once had the pleasure of a run on solid ice roads from Rekyavik out to Keflavik Airport at 120kph in a bus running ice tyres, quite scary

20-09-2012 04:18pm
IKM

(20-09-2012 04:18pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Are there any insurance implications using off road tyres on the paved highway in Sweden? Don't you have to use ice tyres with spikes as well in the winter over there. When I lived in Iceland they were mandatory even though it doesn't get that cold, it was because they don't grit or plough the roads when it snows they compact it instead.......... Once had the pleasure of a run on solid ice roads from Rekyavik out to Keflavik Airport at 120kph in a bus running ice tyres, quite scary
My understanding was that studded (dubbdack?) or spiked tyres are just an alternative to snow tyres (ie non studded with snow symbol). The studded variety can only be fitted for a limited seasonal period, Oct to April.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
(This post was last modified: 20-09-2012 05:37pm by IKM.)
20-09-2012 05:22pm
PapaRod

(20-09-2012 05:22pm)IKM Wrote:  My understanding was that studded (dubbdack?) or spiked tyres are just an alternative to snow tyres (ie non studded with snow symbol). The studded variety can only be fitted for a limited seasonal period, Oct to April.

Your understanding is quite correct. Studded are a common option, especially upnorth, but not required by law..

(20-09-2012 04:18pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Are there any insurance implications using off road tyres on the paved highway in Sweden? Don't you have to use ice tyres with spikes as well in the winter over there. When I lived in Iceland they were mandatory even though it doesn't get that cold, it was because they don't grit or plough the roads when it snows they compact it instead.......... Once had the pleasure of a run on solid ice roads from Rekyavik out to Keflavik Airport at 120kph in a bus running ice tyres, quite scary

No ensurance implications at all, as long as they are classified for winter use - which would be quite a few of them....

(This post was last modified: 20-09-2012 07:32pm by PapaRod.)
20-09-2012 07:31pm