pano-roof/techPACK > done !;painted wheels
3cm lowering/2cm spacers ; ROOFwrap
already > 52.000 km drive ; average;1lit/14km
ré-painted bumperparts and mirrors

4 y.TT mk1
2 y.MINIc-S
4 y.TT mk2
1 yr mini CM;
so i fit exactly in de evoque-profile...
2015 > TTmk3......?
31-03-2012 10:18am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evo-king

RE: Anyone else think SD4 is Sluggish?

(31-03-2012 07:25am)THEMACS Wrote:  Your fast and my fast may be two separate things! It's just I was expecting it to feel Very torquey and somehow it just doesn't. My regular drive is an E92 335i BMW, not the fastest thing in the world but it is extremely quick. But the Sd4 supposedly has a slightly better torque output than my BMW. I know it ain't no rubber burner, not even the petrol one is quick, but I expected it to have half decent performance, from all that I have read in road tests they say the Sd4 in real world performance is as quick as the Si4 maybe the Auto is much much quicker not just from a standing start, which I just wouldn't expect, I can understand it is slightly quicker to 60 though through its gearing.

Anyway, I will take it out on my own and give it some beans see what I think

As an ex BMW owner 330i's and 330d's, you really cannot compare these with the Evoque.

But from my experience driving dealers Evoques, they are quiet and deceptive, whilst they don't appear to be pressing on, sit in the passenger seat and then glance at the speedo and look out of the window. The car doesn't appear or even feel it is going fast, but the speedo tells you otherwise.

However, I haven't ordered one to perform like a hot hatch, I want it for it's presence.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
31-03-2012 10:40am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Coolbanana

I've driven an SD4 Auto briefly since getting my Si4 and to me the petrol is noticeably lighter around corners, definitely feels a bit quicker off the line and despite the diesel's extra torque, seems to have slightly more overtaking ability from 50 -70 mph. Not enormous differences, but there for sure albeit at a fair cost if you do a lot of miles since the Si4 fuel economy is not good to say the least.

I would note that to virtually eliminate lag and sluggishness both car's needed to be in Sport and Dynamic mode and using the paddles added a little to the urgency too.

I was still surprised to see that the Auto's are a full 1.5sec quicker to 60 than the Manual's though when I checked Spec's just now. Perhaps this translates to faster overtaking on the move too.
SD4 Manual = 9.5sec
SD4 Auto = 8.0sec
Si4 Auto = 7.1sec

My Discovery 4 did 0-60 in 9.0sec and the RRE Si4 is a lot quicker in every respect.

I wouldn't compare the performance of an Evoque to a BMW 335i though - my E92 335i (even before remap) was far, far quicker. The RRE would leave it stuck in the mud though racing across a field...I would compare my wife's previous BMW E91 325i Auto to the RRE Si4 in terms of on-road performance as they were very similar.

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
31-03-2012 11:19am
J77

In my honest opinion the SD4 manual is a waste of money. I test drove said car and thought it was good but not great so ordered TD4 and saved a grand and get about the same performance. I had SD4 auto in my freelander and the was quick compared to the TD4. Personally I think the SD4 works better as an auto. I can't see where the extra 1k went, there isn't a big enough difference between the two manuals.

Again this I just my opinion.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
31-03-2012 12:09pm
Cedric

(31-03-2012 10:40am)Evo-king Wrote:  As an ex BMW owner 330i's and 330d's, you really cannot compare these with the Evoque.

But from my experience driving dealers Evoques, they are quiet and deceptive, whilst they don't appear to be pressing on, sit in the passenger seat and then glance at the speedo and look out of the window. The car doesn't appear or even feel it is going fast, but the speedo tells you otherwise.

However, I haven't ordered one to perform like a hot hatch, I want it for it's presence.

+1

Having said that, when I testdrove the TD4 auto, I found myself speeding most of the time, without intending to do so. It's really deceptive.
31-03-2012 01:49pm
Ranger4

(31-03-2012 10:40am)Evo-king Wrote:  ..... The car doesn't appear or even feel it is going fast, but the speedo tells you otherwise......

I agree, I'm often having to ease off because of not realising the speed I am travelling.

I don't appear to be having any problems with my SD4 auto and don't find it sluggish at all. It's extremely nippy and have found that it has plenty of power when overtaking. Also, I live in a very hilly area and found that it can fling you up hills with absolutely no effort. I think I'll give it a couple more weeks and then open it up a bit more on some longer drives.

5 door, SD4 Auto, Dynamic LUX, Orkney Grey, Verve Interior, Ebony Headlining, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel......
31-03-2012 01:53pm
griff

After 8500 miles I am finding the SD4 is performing very well and handles like a dream in Dynamic mode. However I have found the trip to Pete Bell has transformed the performance.

Just look in the rear mirror when driving off traffic lights and see cars disappear into the distance!

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
31-03-2012 02:20pm
lrdaft

My sd4 goes as well as my tdv8 rangerover did and that was chipped, don't know about this one as it is still under warrantyWink

Pure sd4 auto Fuji cirrus
31-03-2012 02:34pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

LRDaft I concur with that, and it does it with as much ease too. You always knew when you were hurrying the FFRR, the Evoque just goes without all the squatting down, snorting V8 rumble or body roll at the first corner taken at speed!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 31-03-2012 04:40pm by XFullFatTim.)
31-03-2012 04:39pm
Wired

My SD4 auto now has 3000km on the clock and I broke it in with an almost 2000km drive right from the hand over.

I would say it feels quick and torque and wants to get to illegal speeds quickly.
I have also driven the 6 speed manual for a week and I am very pleased that I have the manual. Its much better for me.

Took my son out for a drive the other day and he asked me to give him a warning when I pulled up quickly, when I only pulled up to speed in town.

From what I have read here I think there might be a few reason some feel its not quick/torque enough
1) The manual is really tight and doesn't shift easy. Might be better after a few months.
2) The "learning" software might have a picked up your very easy breaking driving. Have it reset and dont be so gentle with it.
3) The Evoque is quiet and very comfortable giving the impression your not going quick, but I found it can be deceiving. Try drag racing a hot hatch Cool

SD4 Automatic Prestige BALTIC BLUE - 5 DOOR - 19" wheels - Xeons - Tech pack - winter pack - Pano roof
31-03-2012 04:55pm