Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Adaptive Dynamics
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Adaptive Dynamics

Dynamic mode alters the shift pattern, alters the suspension settings and changes the mapping of the electronic steering system to give sharper turn in. It is good but as Griff pointed out on corrugated motorway surfaces it can get confused and make the suspension a bit unpleasant. Switching back to normal and switching back to Dynamic resets the system.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
11-02-2012 01:50pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stef.c

Any comment on the overall ride quality/refinement of AD cars in standard in comparison to non AD cars Tim?
11-02-2012 02:37pm
XFullFatTim

As I have only driven cars with AD (my own and one on the Unleashed event) I cannot comment on those without it

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
11-02-2012 02:47pm
stef.c

Ok but do you have any views on the ride quality, isolation etc. in general on your AD equipped car? Is it good or is it a bit stiff/sporty even when in standard?
11-02-2012 02:53pm
XFullFatTim

After 8 years of owning air-suspended FFRR's and RRS's all cars on any other form of springs feel harsh! AD I think is a good compromise between the plush air suspension and rock hard tied down springs for improved handling. The best RR I have owned for that compromise up to the Evoque was a TDv8 RRS with the electro-hydraulic anti-roll bars, plush ride with dead flat cornering but it also suffered heavy wear on the front suspension bushes. The Evoque with AD means I can drive round the twisty roads around here faster than I could in that RRS as it sits lower and rides as flat. In the last FFRR I had to knock at least 20mph off my cornering speeds to avoid it wallowing and inducing fear!

11-02-2012 03:00pm
stef.c

Ok cheers Tim. I'm coming from a BMW 1 series so it will probably feel 10 times better in terms of ride refinement compared to what I'm used to!
11-02-2012 03:20pm
XFullFatTim

Same for anybody coming to a Range Rover from any Audi, especially one with the Sportline suspension.

11-02-2012 03:29pm
martinPL

(11-02-2012 02:37pm)stef.c Wrote:  Any comment on the overall ride quality/refinement of AD cars in standard in comparison to non AD cars Tim?

IMHO, AD is a muist have for anyone who wants to drive the RRE in any other conditions that city and off-road driving. Driving at speeds above ~ 60 mph on highways, in canyons, faster roads, .... witout AD make the vehicle dance on the road. With AD enabled the car stiffens, steering is more precice and the drive is much more controlled and safer. Highly recommended.
12-02-2012 07:34am
zambiaman

(16-09-2011 02:54pm)jitenc Wrote:  Back to the original subject of AD.
I read the other threads and am trying to summarise my finding in short.This is a big factor in deciding going for the Prestige or the Dynamic..
Am i right is saying that :
1) the Adaptive Dynamics is 'ON' all the time and become more active when it is turned to AD Mode...
2) you come down with a thud over the bumps when on AD Mode... not very Adaptive!!
3) AD uses more fuel as you are making the engine work harder.
4) AD has a stiffer ride unless you go '70 mph' round the corners.

If all this is the case, then i am more inclined to stick to the Prestige and put on 20" alloys to give a slightly stiffer ride and road handling.. Help!!!

FINALLY!!!! a response which will make me sleep at night!!! The thud u mentioned was a worry to me for a very long time. I kept thinking my suspension was messed up! May I ask where you obtained the information concerning the thud??

Thanks !!

Arrow SD4 5dr Dynamic
Adaptive Dynamics, Pano roof, 20" style 6, blind spot, power tailgate
Cyprus based
19-05-2012 01:35pm
evoquemayne

This should clear everything up, for those that haven't seen the video that was posted and are still confused.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

19-05-2012 05:05pm