Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Adaptive Dynamics: Better ride by software mod?
tplus

Adaptive Dynamics: Better ride by software mod?

Hi,

While my SD4 with Adaptive Dynamics suspension corners very well, I find the ride way to stiff when just cruising in a straight line, e. g. on a German Autobahn.

Okay, I had a Citroen C5 (wonderful hydraulics) before but my Jaguar XJR or e. g. the new BMW 3 series I tested provide superior comfort.

Is there anything software could do about it? Maybe there are different settings for other countries (US)?

Thanks for some comments
Torsten
14-07-2012 10:16am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Adaptive Dynamics: Better ride by software mod?

Are you using the AD in normal driving mode or winding road mode (the button on the center console?), as this allows you to vary the stiffness of the suspension, and in normal road mode AD suspension is great on fast straight roads!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
14-07-2012 02:43pm
tplus

Always normal mode, of course. The one with the lorry pictured. The "Nürburgring-mode" (winding road) is completely unacceptable.
15-07-2012 10:24am
ChuckieB

I would have thought that the autobahns are up to a mich higher standard than what we have to endure here in the uk! however after Citroen suspension I suspect nothing else can compete. I wouldn't call the AD "stiff" even on our motorways. I run 19"s so the ride is going to be a little more naturally compliant. It's when it becomes "choppy" in full AD that I have an issue. But then the roads here can be pretty bloody awful!

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
15-07-2012 10:35am
smayo

I think it all comes down to personal preference. On my test drive i found the AD (switched on) to be acceptable but felt it could be stiffer, but then I like very stiff suspension. Too much body roll in the corners for me and it feels like driving a barge on wheels, and with a car with a higher centre of gravity this tends to be more noticeable.

LR have to try and setup the suspension for the majority, and this isn't going to suit everyone.

Ordered 17/2/12 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Mauritius Blue, Pan roof, 20" style 6 (gloss black), Vortex, Ebony Headlining, Ent Pack, Heated St. Wheel, Homelink, Pr Glass, Auto Dim r.view mirror, spare wheel
15-07-2012 03:54pm
zambiaman

My issue with the AD is the following - i added 20" rims and with the AD it's a very bad combo. In the city the ride is hard even with the AD turned off - on the highway though and on windy roads it's a pleasure to drive!!! If I had a choice I would get the 18" rims and the AD.
Btw have you notice any weird thumping sounds when going over uneven surfaces e.g drive way etc? I have this issue and LR Cyprus say it is a normal characteristic of the AD

Arrow SD4 5dr Dynamic
Adaptive Dynamics, Pano roof, 20" style 6, blind spot, power tailgate
Cyprus based
15-07-2012 06:39pm
tplus

I have 19'' as well and they absorb short "hits" (potholes) as good as the Citroen. Its the longer "dips" which are shaking me. And I would never compare it with the Citroen, but a BMW 3-series is no barge as well.

Noise: Yes, I also noticed "clongs" when rebound on a speedbump.

BTW: Is AD only "on" in the "race-mode", when the speedo and tach markers turning red?
(This post was last modified: 16-07-2012 04:24pm by tplus.)
16-07-2012 04:21pm
PhilSkill

AD is on all the time in either mode, I too also notice 'clongs' on rebound from larger speed humps, makes me wonder what it would sound like off road over bumps etc.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
16-07-2012 08:25pm
mark_n

I suppose we all have our own ideas of what constitutes a hard riding car. For me, by no stretch of the imagination is the Evoque one such. I find it's very comfortable, more so than a Mercedes SL which cost twice as much. I'm really surprised that you think the Dynamic Mode is "completely unacceptable". Even in that setting, the car is still quite soft and hardly ready to tackle the Nordschleife.

One thing to check is the tyre pressures which may be a bit higher in Germany for the potential higher speeds. You might reduce them a bit but you run the risk of increased tyre wear and it's not a good idea if you are driving the car hard.

In this month's Car Magazine, they compare two Evoques, one with Adaptive Damping, the other without and while there are other spec differences which will influence how the car drives, it's very clear AD yields real benefits and is a must have if ride quality is important. That makes it all the more surprising that, with AD, you think the car is hard riding. I can't think of a single review reaching the same impression. I've never been in a Citroen but I can't imagine I'd like their roly-poly ride.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 17-07-2012 05:40am by mark_n.)
16-07-2012 09:59pm
tplus

As there are different expectations I find it appealing that the ride could be changed just by software as with AD. So why not make use of it? Therefore the thread.

By now I wonder if we in Germany indeed do get a different setting than in the UK. Something like "for drivers used to race Audis on the Autobahn".

Tyre pressure for 19" is 36 PSI in the front and 32 PSI for the rear wheels.
17-07-2012 09:24am