Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
3 weeks: loves, hates and don't understands.
vinny

RE: 3 weeks: loves, hates and don't understands.

Way better than my wife's Audi

regardless- it's a fun vehicle. So much cooler than the X3, Q5 and MKC that i was looking at.
[/quote]

Think you were looking at the wrong Q5 ,should of looked a bit further up the range.

My order- fuji white sd4 manual coupe,tech pack,xenons,style 6 20's,pano roof,privacy,front fogs,rear camera,folding mirrors,ebony int/ivory headliner,dec delivery.(still waiting!) Collected 14/01/2012
NOW SOLD as of 26/07/14 Very Happy
Now driving Audi SQ5, everything the Evoque should of been.
02-06-2015 09:13pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HotLap

I've had my 2015 Prestige now about 3 mos and 3500 miles. Overall I like it, the strong points are the styling and very upscale interior appointments, materials, etc. The lows for me are the clunky drivetrain behavior. Nine speeds in a tranny is just too many, so do we really need that extra .5 mpg that all those extra gears get you? Seems the Transmission ECU and Engine ECU don't communicate very well or quickly for that matter. The hesitation this causes is VERY annoying to me, coming up on a red light and slowing down to about 10mph, light turns green you press the gas...nothing happens for a while, then once the ECU's wake up the vehicle jumps forward with a snap and it looks like you are trying to be "boy racer". Hard to drive smoothly w/o putting effort into it. Coming into a curve taking your foot off the gas then reapplying throttle on exit and ...wait for it...wait for it...then bam, surges forward! LOL! I'm actually impressed with the turbo 4's power pretty peppy, although I wish it wasn't so buzzy/noisy sounding at idle and under throttle.

I'm a bit surprised that RR hasn't worked out the kinks in this otherwise great vehicle since it's been out since 2011 with the same basic engine, I realize the 9 speed trans is new but RR should have sorted it out better. I wouldn't agree with the original poster about it driving better than German cars as I've had several BMW's and Porsche's and they all true driver's cars...although the Evoque (powertrain jerks/clunks aside) does handle very well for a small SUV! I think RR got the handling right but the powertrain could be much smoother! Just my .02 don't shoot the messenger Smile Another nit is the goofy accessory delay function, unlike most vehicles when you pull into the garage and turn off the car, you can finish listening to that fav song, finish your phone call, etc. until 10 minutes or if you open the door, but if you turn off the RR everything goes dead and you have to press the vol control knob and after a bit the music will come back on, but then when you open the door to leave, it doesn't turn off...strange! Oh and the Auto temp control knobs don't have the ability to select the driver's knob to adjust both sides...even when not in the "Auto" mode they have to be adjusted separately...strange. The misshapen passenger wiper arm that will nick your hood (bonnet for you right drivers) if you forget and try and raise the wipers to clean the windshield (screen for you right hand drivers)...a real (opening) sunroof would be much more preferable to me over the pano roof, don't have it open much as it just heats up the interior and fades out the touchscreen graphics...RR take note, great vehicle, and still ahead in styling, luxury and handling if you would work out the above nits, you'd have a real winner on your hands!!

2015 Evoque Prestige in Santorini Black with Ivory/Espresso interior
06-06-2015 12:02am
Clip

Interesting comments about the tranny Hotlap. I don't have that issue. I wonder if it has something to do with a different setup/tune with the petrol engine (mine's an oil burner). I find the changes are very smooth, and while it doesn't change as fast as a DSG type transmission does, it's actually not too far from it. But like a DSG, mine does change down gears as I slow, so if I need take off again quickly, it's in the right gear and not much lag.The ZF box seems to be the best of both worlds to me - works almost as fast as DSG type, without the clunkyness, and with the extra gears, when enjoying some more spirited driving, always keeps the engine in the sweet spot for max performance and fun!

Re the Germans, I was only comparing it to their SUVs i.e. X3, Qs etc. I wouldn't include Porche in the mix either, they are out on their own, way surpassing anything Audi or BMW have come up with in this sector. But of course, all just MHO ☺️.
06-06-2015 07:10am
HotLap

(06-06-2015 07:10am)Clip Wrote:  Interesting comments about the tranny Hotlap. I don't have that issue. I wonder if it has something to do with a different setup/tune with the petrol engine (mine's an oil burner). I find the changes are very smooth, and while it doesn't change as fast as a DSG type transmission does, it's actually not too far from it. But like a DSG, mine does change down gears as I slow, so if I need take off again quickly, it's in the right gear and not much lag.The ZF box seems to be the best of both worlds to me - works almost as fast as DSG type, without the clunkyness, and with the extra gears, when enjoying some more spirited driving, always keeps the engine in the sweet spot for max performance and fun!

Re the Germans, I was only comparing it to their SUVs i.e. X3, Qs etc. I wouldn't include Porche in the mix either, they are out on their own, way surpassing anything Audi or BMW have come up with in this sector. But of course, all just MHO ☺️.
Clip all great points and I'd like to try (drive) the diesel sometime. I did spec out the Macan but man is Porsche proud of that vehicle, would have been another $20 - $25 grand to get one equipped the way I wanted it. They claim it "starts" at $49K, but if you want it decked out your going to be looking at $80K + and that's for the "S", not the Turbo. I just started a company and didn't want to try up that much capital. The RR is a great ride all in all and I'll keep it just a bit longer Smile

2015 Evoque Prestige in Santorini Black with Ivory/Espresso interior
07-06-2015 02:32pm
Mrs hoskins

Am I the only one who shuts his hand in the tailgate when closing by hand because of the stupid internal handle position.
What's the point in a computer that consistently calculates fuels consumption at 20pc better than I've ever achieved.
Why do I have heated seats,reverse bleepers etc as standard, but the standard passenger seat has no height adjustment !!!!
No interior grab handles. A must for elderly passengers.
BUT I STILL LOVE ITS STYLE! COMFORT! FINISH. BRILLIANT CAR
10-06-2015 04:08pm
couplands

Hotlap, totally agree with you on the gear box performance. I have a diesel SD4 Dynamic and it will often clunk the gear changes when slowing down then accelerating again. Downhills and slowing down give the gearbox too much to think about.

I like to use the paddles to downshift to control the car better, but that just seems to confuse things even more. I also have a Disco4 with the 8 speed box and that behaves beautifully, so it can be done well..Wink

cheers

simon
10-06-2015 10:57pm
coastev

Hi all,

Will add mine 2.5 weeks in

- Power have SD4
- Handling
- Comfort (yes come from German cars as well)
- Interior quality
- Looks Dynamic (Black Pack)
- Pano roof
- Lighting (inside and out)

Dislikes

- Audio Interface, its awful, slow and old fashioned
- GPS see above
- Back window sucks dust onto it (yes its been on gravel already!)

Neutral

- Fuel economy so far not as good as hoped, though early days
- Stop/Start is no where near as smooth as some like Audi/BMW
11-06-2015 07:55am
Clip

(10-06-2015 10:57pm)couplands Wrote:  Hotlap, totally agree with you on the gear box performance. I have a diesel SD4 Dynamic and it will often clunk the gear changes when slowing down then accelerating again. Downhills and slowing down give the gearbox too much to think about.bsimon

Hmm, hope mine doesn't start doing that. I put up with that on VAG DSGs and current MB DCT - they clunk and thump, especially when coming to a stop.
11-06-2015 09:56am
couplands

(11-06-2015 09:56am)Clip Wrote:  Hmm, hope mine doesn't start doing that. I put up with that on VAG DSGs and current MB DCT - they clunk and thump, especially when coming to a stop.

Ive just come back from the Swiss Alps so perhaps my circumstances were a bit more specific with regard to coming down hills etc, on normal town driving the gearbox isnt too bad, but not perfect.

Overall its not bad, and Ive not tried other brands recently to compare, but the D4 is certainly better than the Evoque.

cheers

simon
11-06-2015 10:00am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Regarding the climate control adjustment - I changed my Evoque for a 2015MY RRS HSE Dynamic - the climate control (I have onlt the basic dual zone set-up) can be set up so the controls are connected so one adjuster operates both sides, they can also be de-coupled so the passenger can adjust the passenger side. This might come in 2016MY.
It is also interesting to see some of the InControl upgrades coming on RRS for 2016MY and what has already been cut from the proposed upgrades - remote starting is, apparrently, illegal in the UK so it has gone from the proposed upgrades and because that has been dropped the remote climate control control has had to be dropped as it needed the engine running to overcome battery drain. There are also more and more options and "packs" within InControl - like Premium Pack which allows remote opening of windows and sunroof via the I/C app. These will rpobably filter down to RRE too

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
11-06-2015 01:21pm