babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Difference Between Sport & Drive - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Technical (/Forum-Technical)
+--- Thread: Difference Between Sport & Drive (/Thread-Difference-Between-Sport-Drive)

Pages: 1 2

Difference Between Sport & Drive - Gjh0702 - 13-10-2014 07:11pm

Hi MY 2014- 9 speed Auto on Prestige

What is the difference please between Sports Mode & 'normal' Drive
Is it just Revs for change up ? or anything else?
Many thanks

RE: Difference Between Sport & Drive - XFullFatTim - 13-10-2014 07:30pm

Yes there is difference! If you use S then you should use the paddles to up/downshift otherwise upshifts will not happen until the rev limiter is reached and then it will automatically override S and shift up to save you destroying the engine..................... with the diesel the engine sounds very strained too at high revs and being a diesel, there is no point in having a screaming engine as you don't gain anything. Also if you are off road you are able to manually hold the gears in 1st/2nd /3rd as you need for engine braking or low down torque. Basically S gives you manual sequential gearshifts.

RE: Difference Between Sport & Drive - Gjh0702 - 13-10-2014 08:52pm

(13-10-2014 07:30pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Yes there is difference! If you use S then you should use the paddles to up/downshift otherwise upshifts will not happen until the rev limiter is reached and then it will automatically override S and shift up to save you destroying the engine..................... with the diesel the engine sounds very strained too at high revs and being a diesel, there is no point in having a screaming engine as you don't gain anything. Also if you are off road you are able to manually hold the gears in 1st/2nd /3rd as you need for engine braking or low down torque. Basically S gives you manual sequential gearshifts.

Many thanks-very helpful

Difference Between Sport & Drive - Stadt Panzer - 13-10-2014 08:56pm

I'm going to have to disagree with Tim on this one in regards to the screaming engine part. I use S when I need to be getting a move on in traffic, I don't find the engine hitting the rev limiter, it tends to change gear just before you get there, no problem for the engine at all.

RE: Difference Between Sport & Drive - Doody - 13-10-2014 09:59pm

i'm with Stadt on this one.

i too would like to know how exactly the software differs, but i don't think it's as extreme as you lay out, Tim.

i usually stay in D unless i know i'm going to be driving aggressively for some reason, and then S isn't just nice, it's a must (MY 2012 (not 9 speed); gas/petrol, not diesel).

doody.

RE: Difference Between Sport & Drive - mighTTy-RRE - 14-10-2014 07:45am

Im with SP regards engine revs, and regularly use S if I am looking to get a quick getaway into a roundabout or at a junction as I feel there is less delay on the gearbox.

RE: Difference Between Sport & Drive - Biker - 14-10-2014 08:25am

D is for when you like the movie Driving Miss Daisy
S is if you liked Speed 1, 2, 3....

At least that is how I understand it.

Difference Between Sport & Drive - Stadt Panzer - 14-10-2014 08:27am

(14-10-2014 08:25am)Biker Wrote:  D is for when you like the movie Driving Miss Daisy
S is if you liked Speed 1, 2, 3....

At least that is how I understand it.

Wink

RE: Difference Between Sport & Drive - XFullFatTim - 14-10-2014 08:56am

OK,OK I haven't yet, in the 3800 miles I've put on my 9 speeder, intentionally taken the revs that high toward the limiter in S prefering to shift it up around 3000 revs.

Regrading the speed of shifts in S, yes I believe that is also how LR managed to post the SD4 0-62 times being quicker than the 6 speed manual. The old 6 speed auto was the same - very very quick changes. If you pull the paddle quickly enough it will even miss out gears on down shifts providing it won't send the revs toward the limiter.

RE: Difference Between Sport & Drive - DVFlyer - 14-10-2014 02:57pm

To echo what others have said, I've used "S" mode a bit. Seems to hold the revs longer before shifting, but doesn't get near redline during casual acceleration and seems to shift quicker. Also holds gears longer before shifting up, which I like. e.g. coming to slow speed corner, it holds a lower gear so the car doesn't seem to lug during the turn.

I plan on keeping it in S mode for a tank or two to see how it affects the gas mileage.