babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Xenons vibration - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Technical (/Forum-Technical)
+--- Thread: Xenons vibration (/Thread-Xenons-vibration)

Pages: 1 2

Xenons vibration - deadliner - 09-09-2012 08:03pm

Hello,

I noticed my adaptive xenons vibrate when I go over bumps, potholes... They are solid while driving over smooth surface. Did you notice the same?

RE: Xenons vibration - IKM - 09-09-2012 08:21pm

(09-09-2012 08:03pm)deadliner Wrote:  Hello,

I noticed my adaptive xenons vibrate when I go over bumps, potholes... They are solid while driving over smooth surface. Did you notice the same?
Same issue with me. I've never checked it out though ... so it will be interesting to see if all AXs are the same.

RE: Xenons vibration - XFullFatTim - 09-09-2012 10:03pm

The Adaptives on my RRS used to do the same, I think it is a characteristic of them, when you see how they are mounted inside the lighting unit it isn't surprising. I suspect the springy mountings are to give them the ability to "see round corners" which they don't do as well as an old style Citroen DS could do with it's hydraulic ly turned lighting units back in the late 1960's......

RE: Xenons vibration - Craig_d1 - 09-09-2012 10:17pm

The xenons on my Audi do the same thing

RE: Xenons vibration - 1stRangie - 10-09-2012 09:30pm

(09-09-2012 08:03pm)deadliner Wrote:  Hello,

I think that all xenons (adaptive & non-adaptive) vibrate to some degree. I read that this was down to them being auto-level adjusting to avoid dazzling oncoming cars when driving with a loaded boot. It was suggested that this explains the flickering effect sometimes seen with xenon headlights.

RE: Xenons vibration - mildfeverz - 12-09-2012 12:45am

I purchased a used adaptive Xenon headlight to test the wiring for converting my Evoque Pure Halogen to Xenon/LED system. I've taken the Adaptive Headlight apart [partially] and discover the mechanisms [motor/lens mounts, brackets] that comprise this Adaptive feature has got to be the flimsiasts of designs. The motor housing is light plastic construction as well as the links. The plastic pieces are NOT solidly interfaced and are weak which is susceptable to excess wear resulting in vibration and eventual failure. I would speculate off roading would accelerate this failure. I have purchased "fixed" Xenon OEM Headlights to install which IMHO is a better choice.
Like my old P38 Range Rover[ . . . still own and drive] . . . with it's bells and whistles . . . great when it works!
Mfz Rolling Eyes

Xenons vibration - 3V0QU3 - 10-10-2012 09:30pm

Mine are not adaptive and also vibrate when going over bumps. If this is due to flimsy fittings it could be by design to reduce vibration of the bulb. Just a thought.

RE: Xenons vibration - colski1961 - 11-10-2012 11:42am

yeah, mine do the same (since new) took it back to dealer for checking and all as expected. Hadn't noticed it on my other cars - but checked afterwards and a similar effect.

RE: Xenons vibration - QUEEVO - 02-12-2012 09:29am

Xenon lights are a single source beam of light.

Unlike halogens etc that have two sources, one for normal headlights and one for high/full beam, effectively the xenon lights are always at "high beam" or full beam, and there is a servo the adjusts a flap or shutter to cut the top of the beam out of the eyes of oncoming drivers. When you select high beam or "flash your high beams" - you are actually just triggering the servo to remove the flap or shutter out of the beam, so you get to use the whole beam, or full beam of light.

The vibrations you see are within the beam - and I'm sure it's not unique to the evoque - is this flap or shutter moving slightly in the beam...

RE: Xenons vibration - griff - 02-12-2012 10:41am

I also thought they had to move as an auto adjust/leveller as well? Mine certainly move up and down when I switch them on but not as much as my Beemer did.