Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Xenons vibration
deadliner

Xenons vibration

Hello,

I noticed my adaptive xenons vibrate when I go over bumps, potholes... They are solid while driving over smooth surface. Did you notice the same?

Dynamic TD4, Fuji White, Verve, automatic, privacy glass, style 4 19, rear cam, front-pdc, seat heating, adaptive xenons. (delivered 14.6.)
09-09-2012 08:03pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IKM

RE: Xenons vibration

(09-09-2012 08:03pm)deadliner Wrote:  Hello,

I noticed my adaptive xenons vibrate when I go over bumps, potholes... They are solid while driving over smooth surface. Did you notice the same?
Same issue with me. I've never checked it out though ... so it will be interesting to see if all AXs are the same.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
09-09-2012 08:21pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The Adaptives on my RRS used to do the same, I think it is a characteristic of them, when you see how they are mounted inside the lighting unit it isn't surprising. I suspect the springy mountings are to give them the ability to "see round corners" which they don't do as well as an old style Citroen DS could do with it's hydraulic ly turned lighting units back in the late 1960's......

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
09-09-2012 10:03pm
Craig_d1

The xenons on my Audi do the same thing
09-09-2012 10:17pm
1stRangie

(09-09-2012 08:03pm)deadliner Wrote:  Hello,

I think that all xenons (adaptive & non-adaptive) vibrate to some degree. I read that this was down to them being auto-level adjusting to avoid dazzling oncoming cars when driving with a loaded boot. It was suggested that this explains the flickering effect sometimes seen with xenon headlights.

MY2016 Dynamic HSE four door, Yulong White and a few selected additions. Gone but never forgotten; Dynamic SD4 Coupe, Fuji White...
10-09-2012 09:30pm
mildfeverz

I purchased a used adaptive Xenon headlight to test the wiring for converting my Evoque Pure Halogen to Xenon/LED system. I've taken the Adaptive Headlight apart [partially] and discover the mechanisms [motor/lens mounts, brackets] that comprise this Adaptive feature has got to be the flimsiasts of designs. The motor housing is light plastic construction as well as the links. The plastic pieces are NOT solidly interfaced and are weak which is susceptable to excess wear resulting in vibration and eventual failure. I would speculate off roading would accelerate this failure. I have purchased "fixed" Xenon OEM Headlights to install which IMHO is a better choice.
Like my old P38 Range Rover[ . . . still own and drive] . . . with it's bells and whistles . . . great when it works!
Mfz Rolling Eyes
12-09-2012 12:45am
3V0QU3

Xenons vibration

Mine are not adaptive and also vibrate when going over bumps. If this is due to flimsy fittings it could be by design to reduce vibration of the bulb. Just a thought.

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige Lux + AD + Black Roof Lining + Heated Steering Wheel
Arrived 27/03/12
Very Happy
10-10-2012 09:30pm
colski1961

yeah, mine do the same (since new) took it back to dealer for checking and all as expected. Hadn't noticed it on my other cars - but checked afterwards and a similar effect.

2012 62 Porsche Cayenne Diesel - Black (eveyday use)
2012 61 Porsche Cayman R PDK - Peridot Very Happy (for weekend joy)
2011 Landlegend Compact Tractor (for doing tractory types of things)

Gone :
2012 (1st March) Evoque S4D Lux pack - Firenze Red & Verve interior - traded Nov 12 - sorry folks Sad
11-10-2012 11:42am
QUEEVO

Xenon lights are a single source beam of light.

Unlike halogens etc that have two sources, one for normal headlights and one for high/full beam, effectively the xenon lights are always at "high beam" or full beam, and there is a servo the adjusts a flap or shutter to cut the top of the beam out of the eyes of oncoming drivers. When you select high beam or "flash your high beams" - you are actually just triggering the servo to remove the flap or shutter out of the beam, so you get to use the whole beam, or full beam of light.

The vibrations you see are within the beam - and I'm sure it's not unique to the evoque - is this flap or shutter moving slightly in the beam...

regards,
Queevo
----------------------------------------------------------------------
MY12 TD4 Prestige Auto, Baltic Blue / Vibe, Tech, Surround Cameras, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass
02-12-2012 09:29am
griff

I also thought they had to move as an auto adjust/leveller as well? Mine certainly move up and down when I switch them on but not as much as my Beemer did.

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
02-12-2012 10:41am