babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
To touch her up or not to touch her up! - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Detailing & Car Care (/Forum-Detailing-Car-Care)
+--- Thread: To touch her up or not to touch her up! (/Thread-To-touch-her-up-or-not-to-touch-her-up)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

To touch her up or not to touch her up! - XFullFatTim - 25-03-2012 06:15pm

I collected three quite big stone chips on the leading edge of the bonnet and on the N of the lettering this afternoon while out for a drive. As the car is Fuji White they don't show (apart from the black plastic under the "brushed silver plastic" of the N) as they appear as white Matt primer and are hard to see without looking hard, but they are quite large. So is it a touch-up stick or leave them alone? I have always steering clear of using touch up sticks as previous 8 cars have all been painted with metallic and sometimes touch up sticks make the damage more visible than if it had been left alone.

RE: To touch her up or not to touch her up! - Evo-king - 25-03-2012 06:24pm

Tim, always be careful when touching up a Lady.

On a serious note, is the bonnet Aluminium? so little chance of rusting.

As the car is White a solid colour I think if you are careful the touch up stick will work OK.

RE: To touch her up or not to touch her up! - berlin2011 - 25-03-2012 06:26pm

Same question i'm pondering - went for decent wash today and after inspected and have three paint chips on bonnet/fender (minute if I have to be honest, but I can see them). So the question is touch them up or let it be?

RE: To touch her up or not to touch her up! - WB - 25-03-2012 07:21pm

Can be done very successfully if you are patient. There is a good guide here:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20127

RE: To touch her up or not to touch her up! - IKM - 25-03-2012 07:33pm

I've bought the Chipex blending kit to touch up a small chip on the nearside front door. It looked promising on The You Tube video, but I haven't found the time yet to have a go myself with it. I've also bought the LR touch up stick just in case! Comments appreciated.

RE: To touch her up or not to touch her up! - doug - 25-03-2012 07:47pm

On LR touch up pens, my Orkney Grey one is much too dark. I had to mix it with some Audi Blue to get the correct colour.
I had a very small crip in the middle of my bonnet. Used a pin to fill the hole with paint. After a few hours, wiped over with IPA until it was flat. Not perfect, but you have to look hard to see it now.

RE: To touch her up or not to touch her up! - Wicksy - 25-03-2012 07:52pm

All of my previous cars had picked up stone chips within the first month or so of ownership, but, touch wood, the Evoque is untouched at the moment. I'm dreading finding the first one even though I know it will eventually happen.
Being my first Land Rover I was hoping that the paint would be tougher than on other marques. Are stone chips normally a problem on LR models?

RE: To touch her up or not to touch her up! - IKM - 25-03-2012 08:18pm

(25-03-2012 07:47pm)doug Wrote:  On LR touch up pens, my Orkney Grey one is much too dark. I had to mix it with some Audi Blue to get the correct colour.
I had a very small crip in the middle of my bonnet. Used a pin to fill the hole with paint. After a few hours, wiped over with IPA until it was flat. Not perfect, but you have to look hard to see it now.
Thanks, useful info. I'll try the Chipex OG 1st.

RE: To touch her up or not to touch her up! - berlin2011 - 25-03-2012 08:31pm

(25-03-2012 08:18pm)IKM Wrote:  Thanks, useful info. I'll try the Chipex OG 1st.

Be keen to know how the Chipex OG works out.

RE: To touch her up or not to touch her up! - doug - 25-03-2012 08:51pm

(25-03-2012 08:31pm)berlin2011 Wrote:  Be keen to know how the Chipex OG works out.

Looks good on there web page, but it's a lot on money @£49.00 for just a small tin of paint, some IPA liquid ,MFcloth & some paper towels .
For one or two chips, I'm sure companies like "chips away" charge this money. But On the other hand at least your have the kit to use once the next chip comes along.