Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
To touch her up or not to touch her up!
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

To touch her up or not to touch her up!

I collected three quite big stone chips on the leading edge of the bonnet and on the N of the lettering this afternoon while out for a drive. As the car is Fuji White they don't show (apart from the black plastic under the "brushed silver plastic" of the N) as they appear as white Matt primer and are hard to see without looking hard, but they are quite large. So is it a touch-up stick or leave them alone? I have always steering clear of using touch up sticks as previous 8 cars have all been painted with metallic and sometimes touch up sticks make the damage more visible than if it had been left alone.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 25-03-2012 06:16pm by XFullFatTim.)
25-03-2012 06:15pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evo-king

RE: To touch her up or not to touch her up!

Tim, always be careful when touching up a Lady.

On a serious note, is the bonnet Aluminium? so little chance of rusting.

As the car is White a solid colour I think if you are careful the touch up stick will work OK.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
25-03-2012 06:24pm
berlin2011

Same question i'm pondering - went for decent wash today and after inspected and have three paint chips on bonnet/fender (minute if I have to be honest, but I can see them). So the question is touch them up or let it be?

Current: SD4 Dynamic Auto, 5 Door, Orkney Grey with Black Contrast Pano roof and 20" Shadow Chrome wheels. Pursuit interior. [countdown="Hand over"]15th June 2013 2:00pm[/countdown]

Gone: Si4 Prestige Auto Coupe, Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof, Element interior, Shadow Chrome 20" wheels with most of the bits & pieces loaded. [countdown="Hand over"]29th November 2011 2:00pm[/countdown]
25-03-2012 06:26pm
WB
WB

Can be done very successfully if you are patient. There is a good guide here:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/sh...hp?t=20127
25-03-2012 07:21pm
IKM

I've bought the Chipex blending kit to touch up a small chip on the nearside front door. It looked promising on The You Tube video, but I haven't found the time yet to have a go myself with it. I've also bought the LR touch up stick just in case! Comments appreciated.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
25-03-2012 07:33pm
doug

On LR touch up pens, my Orkney Grey one is much too dark. I had to mix it with some Audi Blue to get the correct colour.
I had a very small crip in the middle of my bonnet. Used a pin to fill the hole with paint. After a few hours, wiped over with IPA until it was flat. Not perfect, but you have to look hard to see it now.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
25-03-2012 07:47pm
Wicksy

All of my previous cars had picked up stone chips within the first month or so of ownership, but, touch wood, the Evoque is untouched at the moment. I'm dreading finding the first one even though I know it will eventually happen.
Being my first Land Rover I was hoping that the paint would be tougher than on other marques. Are stone chips normally a problem on LR models?
25-03-2012 07:52pm
IKM

(25-03-2012 07:47pm)doug Wrote:  On LR touch up pens, my Orkney Grey one is much too dark. I had to mix it with some Audi Blue to get the correct colour.
I had a very small crip in the middle of my bonnet. Used a pin to fill the hole with paint. After a few hours, wiped over with IPA until it was flat. Not perfect, but you have to look hard to see it now.
Thanks, useful info. I'll try the Chipex OG 1st.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
25-03-2012 08:18pm
berlin2011

(25-03-2012 08:18pm)IKM Wrote:  Thanks, useful info. I'll try the Chipex OG 1st.

Be keen to know how the Chipex OG works out.

Current: SD4 Dynamic Auto, 5 Door, Orkney Grey with Black Contrast Pano roof and 20" Shadow Chrome wheels. Pursuit interior. [countdown="Hand over"]15th June 2013 2:00pm[/countdown]

Gone: Si4 Prestige Auto Coupe, Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof, Element interior, Shadow Chrome 20" wheels with most of the bits & pieces loaded. [countdown="Hand over"]29th November 2011 2:00pm[/countdown]
25-03-2012 08:31pm
doug

(25-03-2012 08:31pm)berlin2011 Wrote:  Be keen to know how the Chipex OG works out.

Looks good on there web page, but it's a lot on money @£49.00 for just a small tin of paint, some IPA liquid ,MFcloth & some paper towels .
For one or two chips, I'm sure companies like "chips away" charge this money. But On the other hand at least your have the kit to use once the next chip comes along.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
25-03-2012 08:51pm