Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Xenon Headlights
BA74

RE: Xenon Headlights

I just bought this kit.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HB3-5K-AC-HID-...43b8d8b775

One ballast was faulty but was replaced. Works perfectly. 30min to 1hr install. Read earlier in this thread for how to.

Gone - Range Rover Evoque - Si4 Pure - 5 Door Fuji White
01-03-2014 02:47am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Olhemes

This ballast are canbus type? You need this type of vallast if you want to change the halogen headlight for xenon original headlight with led lines.
01-03-2014 05:51pm
BA74

For my kit yes - Halogen to HID globes.

Gone - Range Rover Evoque - Si4 Pure - 5 Door Fuji White
01-03-2014 10:53pm
Olhemes

Yes I have one too but i like the leds lines
02-03-2014 09:18pm
s920811

Hi,
I am a bit confused. Say if I choose your first option to just change the factory ballasts. All I need to do is replace them with CANBUS ballasts? So what does the new HB3 connector do?
And if I buy a whole kit, this one:
http://bit.ly/1cThs2Q
Will it work?? And do I still need to buy the HB3 connector?
Can you explain how the wiring goes?
Thank you so much!!

[EDIT BY MODERATOR CJFP - ABOVE LINK CHECKED AS NOT CLEAR WHERE IT MAY POINT TO - GOES TO AUSSIE EBAY SALE]
(This post was last modified: 18-03-2014 07:07am by cjfp.)
18-03-2014 04:30am
Olhemes

(18-03-2014 04:30am)s920811 Wrote:  Hi,
I am a bit confused. Say if I choose your first option to just change the factory ballasts. All I need to do is replace them with CANBUS ballasts? So what does the new HB3 connector do?
And if I buy a whole kit, this one:
http://bit.ly/1cThs2Q
Will it work?? And do I still need to buy the HB3 connector?
Can you explain how the wiring goes?
Thank you so much!!

[EDIT BY MODERATOR CJFP - ABOVE LINK CHECKED AS NOT CLEAR WHERE IT MAY POINT TO - GOES TO AUSSIE EBAY SALE]

First, you want to change the xenon lamps or the complete headlight with the line leds?

If you want only change the headlamp with xenon is possible to buy one compatible xenon kit.

If you want to change the complete headlamp you need a ballast can bus , the connect HB3 goes to the ballast and you connect the other wiring to the original xenon lamp.
http://www.ebay.es/itm/1x-D3S-D3R-XENON-...d55&_uhb=1
18-03-2014 10:24am
s920811

Thanks for the reply!!! I would like to change the complete headlamp.
Are the original xenon lamps D3S? Is the HB3 connector compatible with D3S?
Do you have any diagram on how you connect all the wires?
18-03-2014 11:11am
Olhemes

Yes, the original lamp on xenon is d3s and you need to buy the complete headlamp with the original lamp (d3s), you need to buy a ballast for d3s (can bus) and the connector HB3 to connect the original wire to HB3 conncector, and this connector to the new ballast. You have to cut the original wire and paste to the new wire (HB3 connector).
19-03-2014 12:35pm
s920811

Ok!! I understand now!!
Thank you so muchSmile
19-03-2014 12:39pm
dkearns

I have spent about 6months working on this modification and gone through, I think, all possibilities of the way you can have your signature DLRs and Xenons working.
Firstly I removed OE Ballast and using a number of fittings used a D2S bulb with a Canbus Ballast - it worked
I then wanted to use the OE Bulbs (D3S) so I invested in a Canbus Ballast with a D3S fitting - it worked
Both are great solutions however I hate the way non-OE ballast take so long to get the glow up to full power. So my final mission was to use the OE Ballast and the OE bulbs - I purchased what is the cheapest solution of all - a Relay Harness. This solution allows you to use EVERYTHING OE in your headlamp with minimum cost - you can either use a single HID relay or dual (one for each headlamp).
In simple - the power, from the battery (via a fuse and relay switch) powers the OE Ballast and the circuit that would in theory be used to power ballast now powers the coil of the relay.
The issue with cars without Xenons is that, from my experiments, over 10amps of power is drawn for about 7-10seconds on power up (this is why OE ballasts brighten the bulb so fast - canbus start low and remain low - longer glow up time) so you will find that if wired directly (on a halogen setup car) your Xenon will power on for about 2sec and then go out. My guess is that the electronics recognize this as a short circuit and considers it detrimental and so cuts the power. The relay coil draws significantly less power and allows it to be powered and held (circuit "thinks" its a normal bulb). Anybody considering doing the change from Halogen to Xenon should consider the Relay harness route - I estimate the project cost me 25pounds, with added wiring, shrink etc etc.
(This post was last modified: 25-03-2014 12:18pm by dkearns.)
25-03-2014 12:15pm