Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Xenon Headlights
Olhemes

RE: Xenon Headlights

(30-09-2013 06:44pm)ROVEROLOGY Wrote:  I have done a conversion from US Halogen headlamp units to US Xenon Signature units on a 2013 Evoque. The DRL's come on with the ignition on and then dip to lower intensity with the running lamp function. They stay dipped with the headlamps on and all work with the auto feature. I made them as a "plug and play" setup so there is NO re-wiring of any part of the harness, no additional wiring to install, and NO re-programming of the body controller. Also, they do not yield errors on the dash. All work was done inside the headlamp units and no part of the car was modified. I have included some pics of the US version below. The first pic is what the halogen lights used to look like. The rest is after the conversion. If you have been hoping for a US conversion solution to getting the Full Brightness DRL lamps working with the ignition I have made such a unit. If anyone is interested in having this conversion done or wants more pics and information on the process, please let me know.
Before
Bright DRL with ignition on and running lamps and headlamps off
Dip DRL with amber side lamp with running lights on
Dip DRL with Xenon headlamps

I´m interested in this conversion, please send me more information, my email olhemes@gmail.com
09-10-2013 05:10pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
maeno0907

(30-09-2013 06:44pm)ROVEROLOGY Wrote:  I have done a conversion from US Halogen headlamp units to US Xenon Signature units on a 2013 Evoque. The DRL's come on with the ignition on and then dip to lower intensity with the running lamp function. They stay dipped with the headlamps on and all work with the auto feature. I made them as a "plug and play" setup so there is NO re-wiring of any part of the harness, no additional wiring to install, and NO re-programming of the body controller. Also, they do not yield errors on the dash. All work was done inside the headlamp units and no part of the car was modified. I have included some pics of the US version below. The first pic is what the halogen lights used to look like. The rest is after the conversion. If you have been hoping for a US conversion solution to getting the Full Brightness DRL lamps working with the ignition I have made such a unit. If anyone is interested in having this conversion done or wants more pics and information on the process, please let me know.
Before
Bright DRL with ignition on and running lamps and headlamps off
Dip DRL with amber side lamp with running lights on
Dip DRL with Xenon headlamps

I´m interested in this conversion, please send me more information at "maeno0907@gmail.com"

please!!
02-12-2013 03:56am
Rover15

The Pure Plus that ROVEROLOGY converted from non-DRL (halogen) to signature DRL (US version) was actually mine. Awesome job!

Few Tips:
- Ordered two very good condition L and R (US-version) Xenon headlight assemblies from eBay. The only reason I did not go with the Euro (some New Euro assemblies were avail on eBay too) was for the amber sidemarker all US vehicles are required to have. The Euro version does not have it. Otherwise, I have heard they're the same.

- Purchased H7 HID Kit from retrofitsource.com http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product...s_id=3893. These are great quality kits. No flickering whatsoever and bright. I went with the 4300K to mirror the Xenons, but there are even colder/brighter temps available. There is a ballast issue that retrofitsource is working on resolving now. The current slim 3Five ballasts I have aren't reacting well in extreme cold temps. They've re-designed and are conducting a recall as we speak --- sending current customers new ones at no charge. I have the ballasts and canbus packed inside the headlight housings, but the new ones with higher voltage igniters may have to be mounted outside if they are even a couple mm larger.

- Turned over to ROVEROLOGY to figure out the rest. Love the fact that he figured out how to dip them w/ headlights on like stock. 100% brightness during the day. They don't dip or extinguish w/ turn indicators like stocks do...but I honestly didn't want them to. I realize all of this voids the warranty on the headlights, but honestly, even if I would have just installed an aftermarket kit in the halogen assemblies like many Pure and Pure Plus owners do, I would have voided it then. Period. The halogens were the first thing that had to go. No $50K vehicle should have them. Evil

No other issues to date and my Evoque has the "signature" look that I wanted for a fraction of the price of the Premium Package that included the Xenon package. I can provide ROVEROLOGY's info if needed. He has a shop here in the northwest Chicagoland area.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

18-12-2013 10:20pm
Starskey

**Post deleted**
(This post was last modified: 19-12-2013 04:27am by Starskey.)
19-12-2013 04:24am
BA74

(03-05-2012 10:32pm)Pepino Wrote:  So I finally got my Xenon with LED DRL headlights.
Thought installation was going to be easy, I was wrong. I used this video as a guide to know what I was getting into.

I couldnt do it that way without damaging the front bumper so I had to take apart the front grill and the wheel arches.
After doing everything and plugging everything in, the problems started.
The Turn Signals work as they should, the LED Daytime running lights work, but the actual xenon bulb or healdight, flashed once everytime I tried turning them on and then turned off. So I took it to my expert mechanic, he said that the electric current gets cut off only to the xenon bulb everytime we turned them on. He said I needed a Xenon HID Headlight LED Light Control Unit Module Box.
I am still trying to find this here in Mexico, problem is Land Rover Dealerships know nothing about the evoque and have not being able to help me finding this part.
My mechanic made them work but I cant choose between having only the LEDs on and the Xenon light off. So its either the Xenon bulb on and the Leds on, or the LEDS off and the Xenon Bulb on. This is the only way it will work as long as I dont have this Xenon HID module box.

Can anyone here help me find this part im looking for?

Pepino very old quote I know but I have this exact problem of just flashing when I installed my HID kit and was wandering if you were able to sort out the issue?

Gone - Range Rover Evoque - Si4 Pure - 5 Door Fuji White
06-01-2014 11:09am
ROVEROLOGY

(06-01-2014 11:09am)BA74 Wrote:  Pepino very old quote I know but I have this exact problem of just flashing when I installed my HID kit and was wandering if you were able to sort out the issue?

If you have not figured it out yet try Drew's Garage: clientcare@drewsgarage.com
Drew's Garage has done both USA and Euro conversions.
25-02-2014 09:28pm
BA74

(25-02-2014 09:28pm)ROVEROLOGY Wrote:  If you have not figured it out yet try Drew's Garage: clientcare@drewsgarage.com
Drew's Garage has done both USA and Euro conversions.

Thanks @Roverology. Ballast was faulty. Got swapped and works perfectly now.
Thanks for following up.
BA

Gone - Range Rover Evoque - Si4 Pure - 5 Door Fuji White
26-02-2014 10:42am
Olhemes

(06-01-2014 11:09am)BA74 Wrote:  Pepino very old quote I know but I have this exact problem of just flashing when I installed my HID kit and was wandering if you were able to sort out the issue?

You need this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-D3S-D3R-XEN...41721c4d55

You have to change the ballast for this one: it is necesary CANBUS. You can use the original HID (d3s, d3r).
26-02-2014 02:59pm
donot521

I am very tempting to do this mod, but still afraid to pull the trigger
What exactly is the wiring modification?
from what I read, basically use aftermarket HID Canbus kit to power the headlights...is that ALL?
What kind of wiring need to be done...
please SHARE!!!
27-02-2014 06:33am
Olhemes

the problem of use the complete xenon headlight on our evoque is really the ballast. The original xenon use d3s lamps. If you want only change the halogens lamps with xenon there are some kits. I have it. But if you want to put the complete original xenon headlamp you have two options:
Buy the complete xenon headlight, with his lamps and ballast and change the original ballast with this one. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1x-D3S-D3R-XENON-...5d3d75ff1e

And this conector: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HB3-9005-Ceram...3a70086bfc

The second option is more complicated,

See the black ring around the bulb – sitting on top of the silver box…You need that to fix the bulb you’ll have to use. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PHILIPS-D3S-XenSt...3f25d24237

And use this lamps:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/D2S-HID-Xenon-Bul...27bcaf31b4

and this one:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2x-D2S-D2R-D2C-fu...3a8a180fff

So basically now what happens is your bulb has the same notch system to fit in the Xenon headlamp as the OEM but
without the ring – however the ring slips off the OEM and slips on perfectly to your replacement bulb – this allows
you to lock the bulb perfectly in the headlamp and then the connector fits onto the end of the bulb to allow
connection to the balast. Now one more wire you will need – a HB3 to go from the balast to the power connector
that was originally feeding the OEM (Osram) balast.

You need:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-HB3-9005-C...4619f73de4

can’t remember if its male/female but you’ll know from looking at the balast – I’m nearly sure its female and then
the other end you’ll have to engineer a sort of single thin pin that can be inserted into the existing socket that comes
with the headlamp – naturally you can just chop it off and join the two but I wouldn’t advise from the point of view
of the potential to resell the headlamps at a later stage – nobody will want one with that connector missing.
So now you have all.

Thanks to Damien Kerns
27-02-2014 07:53am