Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Winter tyres vs All season
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Winter tyres vs All season

(11-11-2012 09:24pm)simonc Wrote:  I was just wondering about speed ratings though. The standard Evoque tyres are 'V' rated (149mph), but as far as I can tell winter tyres only go up to 'H' rated (130mph) - are these the correct ones to be using, or is the change in speed rating the reason that insurance companies can be a bit weird about it? Not that I'd ever be driving my car anywhere near to 'H' speeds anyway!

I take then you don't intend to exceed 70mph in bad driving conditions as well!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
11-11-2012 10:02pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
simonc

I'm guessing that was just a jokey comment as of course I would be driving well under 70 in poor conditions (and less again depending on road type), and even in good conditions I wouldn't approach 100 let alone the speeds that tyres are rated for, but as far as insurance companies are concerned you should be using the appropriate speed rating tyre for your car should you not, which in the case of an Evoque is V.

Dynamic Si4 5dr Orkney Grey, Black Pano, Vortex + Ebony, Keyless Entry, Spare Wheel
Collected 12th March 2012
11-11-2012 10:14pm
Stadt Panzer

Winter tyres vs All season

H rating is fine, no need to tell the insurance company as a V rating is not a legal requirement. Winter tyres are not a compulsory must in Germany, they are not law, fact. Law states that you should have the appropriate tyre fitted for the conditions.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
11-11-2012 10:28pm
Vern

Stadt, I agree the law states as you have indicated. I stand corrected on my earlier statement. I believe the highway code in Germany states that motorists must have tyres fitted to their car – whether it is all-season or winter - which have the symbol M&S on their sidewall.

So another vote for the all season. I keep referring back to the Tirerack comparison videos on YouTube that show the differences in acceleration steering and braking between the tyres. Winter tyres for me.

2014 Dynamic 5dr SD4, 9 speed Auto, Indus Silver, Pano roof, Power Tailgate, Heated Stearing Wheel (brilliant ) Spare Wheel, Etc.
Traded in my 2012 model similar spec on great deal, It's that goodWink
12-11-2012 10:46pm
Easty

Re: Winter tyres vs All season

Ive lived in some cold places and driven in winter in the worst of it. Sweden, montreal, germany and northern US states. It sounds weird but i think places that are wet n near freezing can be more dangerous than really snowy well below areas. If your going to switch get the winter. Generally brlliant in the cold rain and work in those horrid cold morings when a all season may not get much temp in it to do much with icy patches, freezing hail or slushy crap. Ive been driving in the dark in the middle of nowhere in aweful conditions with the heart pounding everytime the car slips a little. Get the right tool for the job..

Sent from my ST17a using Tapatalk 2
12-11-2012 11:18pm
IKM

(12-11-2012 11:18pm)Easty Wrote:  Ive lived in some cold places and driven in winter in the worst of it. Sweden, montreal, germany and northern US states. It sounds weird but i think places that are wet n near freezing can be more dangerous than really snowy well below areas. If your going to switch get the winter. Generally brlliant in the cold rain and work in those horrid cold morings when a all season may not get much temp in it to do much with icy patches, freezing hail or slushy crap. Ive been driving in the dark in the middle of nowhere in aweful conditions with the heart pounding everytime the car slips a little. Get the right tool for the job..

Sent from my ST17a using Tapatalk 2
Great commentary! Spot on.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
12-11-2012 11:48pm
Matthew Avery

Have looked at winters myself and not sure its worth it if you have the 19 Pirelli Verdes All Season as I have. The Pirelli website suggest that these are good for summer and winter and if you look at the tread pattern they have lots of sipes on the edge - like a winter tyre, for traction. No doubt they're a compromise but I had M+S on my LR2 and they were fine even in deep Cotswold snow.
However if you're on proper summer tyres only I'd definately go for full winters - my other car has them at it makes a huge difference.Surprised
13-11-2012 07:11pm