Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Windscreen wiper damaging paintwork
PhilSkill

RE: Windscreen wiper damaging paintwork

(08-02-2014 03:25pm)Jeroma Wrote:  they could take a crash course from the French car manufacturers.

Are you joking, the cruise control ON button on a Renault Espace is down by your knee, impossible to see when driving along to turn it on, or switch between Limiter and Regulator mode. You end up fumbling at full arm reach with your chin on the steering wheel trying to reach it, not knowing which way you've selected... Mine's worse as it comes up on the dash in French but how more awkward could they have made that to turn on.

Evoque (ok oddly doesn't have limiter mode on 2013 Mad ) just cruise regulator but has simple set speed and the rear paddle easy to reach and cancel if you don't just brake, don't see a problem here.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
11-02-2014 03:17pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jeroma

(11-02-2014 03:17pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Are you joking, the cruise control ON button on a Renault Espace is down by your knee, impossible to see when driving along to turn it on, or switch between Limiter and Regulator mode. You end up fumbling at full arm reach with your chin on the steering wheel trying to reach it, not knowing which way you've selected... Mine's worse as it comes up on the dash in French but how more awkward could they have made that to turn on.

Evoque (ok oddly doesn't have limiter mode on 2013 Mad ) just cruise regulator but has simple set speed and the rear paddle easy to reach and cancel if you don't just brake, don't see a problem here.
Phill, we had 16 Renault's in 25 years and ergonomically I found them better designed. You probably speek about the preselector what you only use to switch between cruise and limiter, but this one you only use once.
The other swiches are located very handy on top of the wheel, to say up and down, off and resume.

As I mentioned, I was used to use cruise control as a hand throttle, but due to the weird position of the switches this does not work with the Evoque, on our Megane CC it works perfectly.
Here I won't mention that many times I have to apply the switches 5 times before the engine reacts.
No fault code could be detected by the garage, but this aside.

On the other hand the switches controlling the car settings, a feature you only use once a year, are perfectly positioned.
Not to speek about the door unlock switch, I discovered it after 2 month, to operate it you need to be the son of Houdini...!! or brake your wrist

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
other cars in house: Renault Megane CC
1960 Triumph TR3A in BRG - on Webers
1970 Triumph TR6PI in jasmine on EFI
12-02-2014 11:28am
speary

(08-02-2014 10:52am)RadBoy Wrote:  I found out about this design flaw recently after having some repairs to my paintwork done. I assumed that the spray painter had made an error and was highly irritated to find that it was actually the wiper causing the problem. I think it is a design flaw that should be corrected by a recall of some kind as it would be easy to move the hinge of the wiper and correct the problem, but it should not be the responsibility of paying customers.It is counter intuitive to think that there would be any non standard way of lifting the wipers. Others in the forum have made mention of the problem also being on Audis and other cars. The difference is that on these cars you absolutely cannot lift the wipers and attempting to do so does not damage the vehicle unless you are dumb enough to bend the wipers. Your natural instinct would be to stop and find a better option.

An epic fail in my opinion on behalf of Land Rover and one they ought to correct at their own expense.

Epic fail, total disaster !!!! What are you on about guys. On a right hand drive car the right hand wiper lifts clear and the right hand wiper lifts just enough to clean under it. If you go yanking it up then yes you will hit the edge of the bonnet. Just be careful and lift it gently. Hardly grounds for a recall.

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
13-02-2014 02:36pm
HotLap

This has been beaten to death for sure, but upon getting my new RRE home the first night I was shocked to see the rather "ungainly/awkward" resting position of the passenger side wiper ((left drive car). The outer half of the main arm is at such an awkward angle that the wiper blade sticks up above the darkened area of the lower windshield. Not an elegant solution at all. I moved the one arm (loosened the wiper arm bolt and gently pulled the arm off with an old steering wheel puller) and repositioned it lower. Checked and the wipers still have plenty of overlap when in use, but being in an even lower position there is more potential for interference with the rear of the front hood (or bonnet as you all call it). When washing, I'm careful to gently lift the wiper arm then soap under it, no scratches on bonnet edge yet. I'm going to check out the adjustable wiper mechanism arm below the cowl area (as mentioned above) and see if I can get it better aligned...

2015 Evoque Prestige in Santorini Black with Ivory/Espresso interior
10-04-2015 10:12pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

To avoid touching the bonnet/hood edge when washing set the wipers to the winter park position - it's set up from the settings menu in the dash - then return it to normal when washed.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
11-04-2015 08:05am
lr_evoque

Wish I read this post before washing my MY15 for the first time, now I have a pain chip on the bonnet edge Sad

I agre with the others this is not clear enough in the manual. Will take it back to the dealer to see what they can do to fix the chip.

Page 59 of the Owner's Handbook AU version
Quote:WINTER PARK POSITION
To avoid damage to the bonnet, do not lift the wiper blades when they are in the normal parked position.
The wipers can be set to park in a higher position than normal. This allows the wiper blades to be lifted away from the windscreen, while the vehicle is stationary, to limit the risk of freezing to the glass and to facilitate the removal of debris or obstructions, for example, snow, mud, leaves, etc. The Winter park position can be enabled/disabled from the Vehicle Set-Up menu. See 42, INSTRUMENT PANEL MENU.

2015 Range Rover Evoque Pure-Tech SD4
- Fuji White with Ebony Interior, ClearView Pack, HDD Navigation, Panoramic sunroof, Privacy glass
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 10:24am by lr_evoque.)
05-05-2015 10:14am