Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Wind whistling between 50+ mph
scottbltd

Wind whistling between 50+ mph

Hi new to this forum got my new evoque last week fuji White prestige with lux pack, loving the car it drives brilliant only down side is rattles to the interior, and a whistling wind noise at 50mph up to top speed it's really annoying me as it's not subtle even with radio on it's going back to LR week of the 10th of oct and I'm hoping they discover where it's coming from I'm not bothered by wind noise but this is Definatly one of those noises you know should not be there, if I have experienced this during test drive I would not have purchased this car it bothers me this much, I will report back after LR have had a look at it.
01-10-2011 05:59pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

RE: Wind whistling between 50+ mph

I think I read about an issue with the drivers door seal - could it be this?

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
01-10-2011 06:16pm
WB
WB

I'm fairly sure I read that Tim took his in to Lookers with a similar issue - not sure how he got on?
01-10-2011 06:34pm
griff

I'm pretty sure that Tim had his doors adjusted to eliminate some wind noise.
Hope that helps.
Do you have a problem with full stops and commas? Laughing

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
01-10-2011 08:33pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Yes I have a wind noise on the top curved section of the driver's door. The guys at LPR fixed it by adjusting the door hinges but it is back again. Scott is yours a 5 door or a Coupe? My suspicion is that the door hinges are the same on the 5 door and Coupe but the coupe doors are longer, therefore heavier and I think that is the cause of the problem.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2011 09:13pm by XFullFatTim.)
01-10-2011 09:12pm
scottbltd

(01-10-2011 09:12pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Yes I have a wind noise on the top curved section of the driver's door. The guys at LPR fixed it by adjusting the door hinges but it is back again. Scott is yours a 5 door or a Coupe? My suspicion is that the door hinges are the same on the 5 door and Coupe but the coupe doors are longer, therefore heavier and I think that is the cause of the problem.
Yes mine is a five door,the area mine seems to be coming from is around the drivers front door tweeter speaker and the small vent on the pillar, it's not so much as wind noise but a high pitch variable whistle that increases and decreases with speed the door seems to be inline, i have also tried to adjust the door seal itself but no difference, today I am going to put some tape around the wing mirror and see if that resolves the problem just so as I can pinpoint where it's coming from I've got a 3 1/2 hr motorway journey tomorrow so I will try as much as I can to find out what the problem is before it goes in.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2011 09:06am by XFullFatTim.)
02-10-2011 08:24am
mark_n

Inside the tubular structures of the car, such as the a-pillars are rubber baffles which are glued in position - the glue melts when the car is being painted and these serve to reduce resonance effects - like organ pipes. It's possible these are not sealing properly. Then again, it may be just coming from the enormous door mirrors.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
02-10-2011 11:04am
lngrn36

Okay. I grew up in a auto body shop. I left my Evoque Coupe at dealership for a week to resolve wind noise issue. No luck with that. Today I methodically taped the corner windshield trim pieces. Then I taped the seams on the mirror, then taped seams on door so no wind would pass through. Still, there is noise. Close both mirrors and the sound is completely eliminated. No amount of adjusting The doors will change this. There is an inherit design flaw with the large mirrors so that wind, and therefore noise, is present. I will now experiment with changing the overall design of mirror and see if I can get the wind noise deflected down instead of the top corner of the door. This is irritating only because the flaw is present if you hear well and are used to quiet vehicles. If you come from driving a CJ-7 then you will be happy with this vehicle. Very Happy

Tim
Evoque Coupe Pure+
SI4 - Auto
Sumatra Black - Ebony/Ebony
Climate package
Satellite Radio
25-12-2011 08:23pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JiiPee

I tried closing the mirrors but mine will not fold in when driving, only when not moving. I guess this is a standard safety feature?

Enjoying enormously: Pure Td4 Automatic, Firenze Red, almond/espresso interior, panorama roof with rails, Pure tech pack, clearview pack & cold weather pack, parking radars front and back + camera.
26-12-2011 01:01pm
lngrn36

I can fold mine at any time. I have an automatic trans. However, I do live in Texas and we're not very safe over here! Maybe it's a regional setting to allow the mirrors to fold as ive heard others say they can't fold theirs in at speed.

Tim
Evoque Coupe Pure+
SI4 - Auto
Sumatra Black - Ebony/Ebony
Climate package
Satellite Radio
(This post was last modified: 26-12-2011 01:22pm by lngrn36.)
26-12-2011 01:20pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply