Poll: Would you remap your Evoque?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Who is gonna re-map their evoque then?
ytshome

RE: Who is gonna re-map their evoque then?

I think the standard 190 bhp is enough for the style of the style of the car. It would be a consideration if LR did an approved upgrade though. YT

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
30-09-2011 12:18pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Big G

(30-09-2011 12:01am)andyuk Wrote:  So what percentage of us are thinking of re-mapping their evoque?

By the sounds of it the SD4 could get an extra 30bhp & improve the 0-60 by 2 sec with a re-map.

Very tempting but is it worth it?

Sorry - whats a re-map???
30-09-2011 12:54pm
simonc

(30-09-2011 12:54pm)Big G Wrote:  Sorry - whats a re-map???
It's a (usually 3rd party) reprogramming of the Engine Control Unit to tweak (for example) the power / torque delivery profile of the engine. The factory default settings for a given engine will tend to purposefully de-tune it from it's full potential to improve the life of the engine / emissions etc. but aftermarket re-maps can eek out a bit more performance from an engine.

Dynamic Si4 5dr Orkney Grey, Black Pano, Vortex + Ebony, Keyless Entry, Spare Wheel
Collected 12th March 2012
30-09-2011 01:04pm
gead

Not really interested as this will be the family wagon...I modified my last family car and it just got a bit silly...this time I will keep it stock, and mess around with my 'own' car when I eventually get it...

White 5 dr SD4 Dynamic.
30-09-2011 01:20pm
andyuk

(30-09-2011 10:16am)mark_n Wrote:  Perhaps they'd then like to explain why the Si4, with 50 more bhp is only just over a second faster to 60. It's lighter too...

My 911 has 493 bhp, weighs less than an Evoque and can still "only" get to 60 in around 3.6 seconds. So, the chances of a 220bhp Evoque doing it in 6 seconds are minimal when the 190 bhp takes 8 seconds or so.

Simple school-boy physics calculations show that the Evoque can pile on kinetic energy (which is where the power goes) at about half the maximum engine power. On that basis, to do it in 6 seconds would take between 60 and 100 extra bhp.

Only going on what Bell Auto has quoted me & he has already designed the remap & has the stats which were an extra 30-40 bhp & 2 sec quicker up front to 60 & he said the best improvement was the mid-range.

Dynamic SD4 Manual Red with Black contrast & Panaramic Roof, Vortex Interior, 20" Alloys, Privacy Glass, Black Headlining
30-09-2011 02:01pm
RadioHam

(30-09-2011 11:49am)J77 Wrote:  Personally I will stick with the TD4 as it is, I have SD4 auto freelander at the moment and it does go well but I have no need for the extra power.

Me too - relax, chill & enjoy the drive....Cool .... personally if I saw an evoque been revved to within an inch of it's life I would find it a bit ridiculous looking. That's just not what the Evoque is about for me...

However each to their own......

Pure 5 door manual TD4 in Fuji/Ebony - front fogs, tow bar & spare wheel - January Deliv.
30-09-2011 03:01pm
bell-auto-services

The torque is different on the petrol to the diesel as is the BHP , if you could (though i wouldnt) rev the diesel to the same high rpm as the petrol does on the dyno, the diesel would probabally make more power as standard than it does now because the max rpm is limited lower than the petrol. BHP on the wheel or hub dynos i have used is measured at the highest point rpm on the run test which is where it gets its high BHP figure from.

The petrol and diesels dont rev the same so the driving styles will be totally different, i drove a petrol and to make it really go anywhere quickly i had to give it the beans whereas the diesel is totally different this is due to the torque curve differences of the 2 engines. As most know the diesel engine produces torque a lot lower down the rev range than the petrol does which is why the driceability is so different between the two because the petrol does need reving and the diesel does not.

Ive tuned many Ford cars over the last few months with this engine in and they to go really well and in some cases drive better than its petrol brother simply because of the torque of the diesel engine which is produces lower down in the rpm range and this is the force that pulls you forward and gives you the feeling of power when you drive the car.

Regarding warranty, from past experiences on the other forums not all people will openly admit they will tune the car on the forum incase of Landrover spys. and in some cases people say on the forum they wont ever tune their cars but in real life actually do. this means its really hard to get a true poll vote on such a open forum of which i totally understand.

In also really apreciate and understand that warranty on customers cars is a major concern which is why i aim to give the best options possibile for all when modifications are made to cars. Please also remember that some simple things like changing to non standard size tyres or wheels as an example could if the dealer felt the need void your drivetrain warranty as it did not leave the factory like this ! Luckley for all the engine ecu is much harder to see and get to than a non factory set of wheels and most probabally easer to put back to standard.

The wheel example is probabally not the best example to give but it highlights other areas of car modification that could void warranty on a different section of your car.

Hope that makes sence, im typing from an Iphone in Cyprus so cant see a lot of what ive wrote lol.

Pete

TV/DVD-On-The-Move modules available from £145+ £10 UK mainland shipping Excluding higlands and Islands.
(This post was last modified: 30-09-2011 03:17pm by bell-auto-services.)
30-09-2011 03:04pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
andyuk

Thanks bell-auto for the input.

It is very tempting with the supposed figures being banded about but I dunno about someone fiddling with the engine on a brand new £40k car.

I have also had an email back from superchips & they claim it will be totally transparent to LR so would have no issues at all & they also supply a full engine warranty & will also redo it free of charge if LR happen to reflash the car for any reason.

I have never ever done this before so are there any people out who have done this before & what are your experiences from it? Have there been any problems? Have you noticed a massive differencein performance? Does it effect the engine in any way at all being retuned like this?

Lots of questions!

Dynamic SD4 Manual Red with Black contrast & Panaramic Roof, Vortex Interior, 20" Alloys, Privacy Glass, Black Headlining
30-09-2011 05:35pm
bell-auto-services

I agree there ate lots of questions for people new to the tuning world.

I do the same thing as Superchips regarding reinstall for free if the car gets a dealer upgrade. I can't yet offer engine warranty like they do but once I'm back from Cyprus on the 11th it will VE something I'll be looking into.

That said I won't ever state so boldly like Superchips do that tuning is invisible, this is a very bold statement and I strongly advise you don't take this as true. I can assure you if the dealer warranty investigation team get involved I can guarantee it's visible with the tools they have available to make tests on the car !

Their is not one tuning company in the world that can guarantee an invisible remap, ALL remaps are detectable with the correct tools and diagnostic kit.
If people know how to use one the first simple test would be with an oscilloscope measuring the injector pulse width on a remapped car and a non remapped car. This simple test picked from many available would tell me that the car in question is not standard from it's duration change over standard.

The safest was to protect your self and your warranty is either not have a remap at all or make it so it's well hidden to avoid investigation or to have a spare ECU that you use for your remap and put your original one back on for warranty dealer visits

Pete

TV/DVD-On-The-Move modules available from £145+ £10 UK mainland shipping Excluding higlands and Islands.
30-09-2011 06:46pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

To be clear, the power output of an engine is the torque * the rpm. Specifically:

Power (in Watts) = Torque (in Nm) * 2 * PI * RPM/60

The power in Watts can be converted into bhp/ps by dividing by (about) 750.

The higher torque of a diesel derives from the higher compression ratio used; the higher max rpm of a petrol engine derives from the lighter moving components and faster burn.

Whichever engine is being used, it's that product of torque and RPM over the rev ranges used to accelerate which delivers power into the transmission and then on to the road. Ignoring frictional losses, rolling resistance and air resistance, all of which will spoil the party, the power goes into giving the car kinetic energy and that limits how fast a car can accelerate.
(30-09-2011 06:46pm)bell-auto-services Wrote:  The safest was to protect your self and your warranty is either not have a remap at all or make it so it's well hidden to avoid investigation or to have a spare ECU that you use for your remap and put your original one back on for warranty dealer visits

The latter option is commonly called fraud...

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 30-09-2011 07:00pm by mark_n.)
30-09-2011 06:58pm