Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What does "adaptive dynamics" do?
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: What does "adaptive dynamics" do?

There are two places where AD really works well - fast smooth twisty roads - AD tightens up the steering and helps the car to corner very flat, it is not disturbed by mid corner bumps either. I have found driving on roads I know well and have driven for years in RRS's, Discos and FFRR's my Evoque can be cornered much much faster than all of them, even the TDV8 RRS that also had an electro-hydraulic Dynamic Response system that made the car corner like it was on rails, but due to it's height didn't feel as confident or re-assuring as the Evoque on the same road. The second place where it really excels is on forest track type roads - these are devoured with much less suspension banging and crashing than my Defender and nearly as smoothly as any of my air-suspended RRS's or FFRR's which road rough tracks like you were driving a feather bed!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 29-04-2012 07:41pm by XFullFatTim.)
29-04-2012 07:39pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Donny Dog

(29-04-2012 07:39pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  There are two places where AD really works well - fast smooth twisty roads - AD tightens up the steering and helps the car to corner very flat, it is not disturbed by mid corner bumps either. I have found driving on roads I know well and have driven for years in RRS's, Discos and FFRR's my Evoque can be cornered much much faster than all of them, even the TDV8 RRS that also had an electro-hydraulic Dynamic Response system that made the car corner like it was on rails, but due to it's height didn't feel as confident or re-assuring as the Evoque on the same road. The second place where it really excels is on off road - forest track type roads are devoured with much less suspension banging and crashing than my Defender and nearly as smoothly as any of my air-suspended RRS's or FFRR's which road rough tracks like you were driving a feather bed!

Now you're making me wonder again, as those are both things I'm unlikely to do. I never got the chance to drive a car with AD (not even on the experience day) so I have no experience to evaluate it, but what matters to me is to know whether it would (or would have!) improved the bouncy-castle ride (I'm exaggerating, but you know what I mean) in normal road use. It's academic for the present car, but, if it would, I'd consider getting another Evoque in due course with it fitted.
29-04-2012 07:44pm
cjfp

Sounds like you need to test drive one with AD as, in the end, only you will be able to tell if it is a solution to your issue. I have absolutely no problems with the ride in my non-AD Evoque.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
29-04-2012 07:48pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Traditionally Land Rovers have been softly sprung (although you wouldn't think so if you came out in my Defender!)
for better wheel/axle articulation off road, and good off road performance is a priority over on road performance for LR up to now. I have been hard pressed to tell when the Dynamic Mode is selected on the TR apart from the slightly heavier steering, however that shows how hard it must be working to keep the car flat and roll free in spirited driving to make it feel like you are just bumbling along normally on a normal road. I have never driven or been a passenger in an Evoque without AD. The other thing it does is it takes out any harshness that running on 20" ULP tyres would give the ride over 19's. I won't say it smothers imperfections quite like a FFRR or RRS does, but it makes a pretty good fist of it, especially when you consider that the car is so much lighter than either of the other cars and the springs tend to rebound more on a conventionally sprung car.
If you are only pootling along in town traffic all the time then, no you won't see any advantage from having AD

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 29-04-2012 07:56pm by XFullFatTim.)
29-04-2012 07:54pm
Donny Dog

(29-04-2012 07:48pm)cjfp Wrote:  Sounds like you need to test drive one with AD as, in the end, only you will be able to tell if it is a solution to your issue. I have absolutely no problems with the ride in my non-AD Evoque.

I'll give you an example of what I mean:

I have my own boat, and have never been sea-sick. The rougher the weather, up to a point, the better, as I don't mind any amount of pitching and rolling and being banged around as longs as it's variable. The type of sea that I find the least pleasant is virtually calm, with a long even swell such that the boat rides gently up and down with a repetitive constant long-period pitching motion. The latter example is how I feel in the Evoque. I've had harsh-riding cars and soft limousine-type cars, and none has ever bothered me until the Evoque.

As you rightly say, I need to test one, and I'd try a lot harder to do so next time.

(29-04-2012 07:54pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Traditionally Land Rovers have been softly sprung (although you wouldn't think so if you came out in my Defender!)
for better wheel/axle articulation off road, and good off road performance is a priority over on road performance for LR up to now. I have been hard pressed to tell when the Dynamic Mode is selected on the TR apart from the slightly heavier steering, however that shows how hard it must be working to keep the car flat and roll free in spirited driving to make it feel like you are just bumbling along normally on a normal road. I have never driven or been a passenger in an Evoque without AD. The other thing it does is it takes out any harshness that running on 20" ULP tyres would give the ride over 19's. I won't say it smothers imperfections quite like a FFRR or RRS does, but it makes a pretty good fist of it, especially when you consider that the car is so much lighter than either of the other cars and the springs tend to rebound more on a conventionally sprung car.
If you are only pootling along in town traffic all the time then, no you won't see any advantage from having AD

It's more country lanes and occasional motorways than town traffic, but it's not 'spirited' driving or off-road. I've got a Prestige on 19" wheels, by the way - maybe that's why the dealer gave me the advice he did.
(This post was last modified: 29-04-2012 07:59pm by Donny Dog.)
29-04-2012 07:56pm
Blackseries

(29-04-2012 07:56pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  I've got a Prestige on 19" wheels, by the way - maybe that's why the dealer gave me the advice he did.

I had a Prestige on 19" wheels (no AD) for half a day & by the first corner I could tell the difference .... I suggest you try a standard Dynamic with 20" wheels in normal driving mode and if you can't tell the difference by the first corner I'll eat my hat. I'm sure AD will eliminate the sensation you are describing.

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
30-04-2012 02:34pm