Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
WHAT'S THAT NOISE...
yupstr8up

WHAT'S THAT NOISE...

Anybody else noticed the consistant churping noise whilst the electrics are "powering down", apparantly says the 'rep' this is normal for the RRE and should go within 5minutes, well mine went on for 30 minutes after playing with the stereo, i had to take it out for a run to stop it when it then went off after 2 mminutes....wierd!

Pure 5 door Fuji white SD4, Clearview and Teck pack, auto tailgate, street legal tint. 19" turned diamond wheels. Reversing camera, front and rear sensors.
30-07-2012 06:56am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: WHAT'S THAT NOISE...

It's the fuel system and the cooling system running down after use. The turbo gets cooled after you switch off so as not to damage it - in the manual for most turbo diesel cars there is an instruction to allow the engine to idle for 30-60 secs after stopping to allow gradual cooling to prevent damage - 90% or more of owners ignored that so now they let the cooling system run on instead. IIRC the fuel system also gets de-pressurised. What you may have heard also was the DPF finishing off a regeneration that happened to coincide with you stopping the engine

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
30-07-2012 07:22am
yupstr8up

(30-07-2012 07:22am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  It's the fuel system and the cooling system running down after use. The turbo gets cooled after you switch off so as not to damage it - in the manual for most turbo diesel cars there is an instruction to allow the engine to idle for 30-60 secs after stopping to allow gradual cooling to prevent damage - 90% or more of owners ignored that so now they let the cooling system run on instead. IIRC the fuel system also gets de-pressurised. What you may have heard also was the DPF finishing off a regeneration that happened to coincide with you stopping the engine

Thankyou for that XFullFatTim
Reinstating what the Rep said has made me feel heaps better. Much appreciated......... I love this forum!

Pure 5 door Fuji white SD4, Clearview and Teck pack, auto tailgate, street legal tint. 19" turned diamond wheels. Reversing camera, front and rear sensors.
30-07-2012 08:31am
ADZ

Thank you XFullFatTim - I was also wondering what it was. Will try and idle for a bit now after stopping. Haven't had 30 minutes though. The sound usually goes after 3 minutes or so.
This forum is so great it keeps me from working. Don't tell my clients...

Fuji White Dynamic with contrast roof in black. SD4 5 door with lots of lovely stuff!
Ordered Feb 2012 Arrived: 26 July 2012 Loving it Smile
30-07-2012 10:54am
Chunk

Tim - interesting to hear your comments regarding the turbo, I am one of the few who after any sort of run lets the car idle so that the turbo has time to spin down. I was aware that the issue isn't regarding cooling but instead relates to oil starvation if you stop the engine then the turbo is starved of oil and puts more pressure on bearings and the internals.

Ordered Feb 2012 - Orkney grey 5dr Dynamic SD4 Automatic. Lux pack, Dynamic plus Pack (velocity ebony leather) ebony headliner and gloss black finishers. Shadow chrome style 7s, heated steering wheel and a spare wheel just in case! Build date 6/7/12 delivery date 23/7/12. Built 3/7 pick up 14/7!!!!!
31-07-2012 04:24pm
PhilSkill

Wonder how that stands up with start/stop that continually kills your engine immediately you come to a standstill then...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
31-07-2012 11:02pm
Chunk

Phil i have always been a bit sceptical of start/stop technology due to this. Unless the oil feed is still maintained during Eco mode??

Ordered Feb 2012 - Orkney grey 5dr Dynamic SD4 Automatic. Lux pack, Dynamic plus Pack (velocity ebony leather) ebony headliner and gloss black finishers. Shadow chrome style 7s, heated steering wheel and a spare wheel just in case! Build date 6/7/12 delivery date 23/7/12. Built 3/7 pick up 14/7!!!!!
31-07-2012 11:23pm
cs33wa

(30-07-2012 07:22am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  It's the fuel system and the cooling system running down after use. The turbo gets cooled after you switch off so as not to damage it - in the manual for most turbo diesel cars there is an instruction to allow the engine to idle for 30-60 secs after stopping to allow gradual cooling to prevent damage - 90% or more of owners ignored that so now they let the cooling system run on instead. IIRC the fuel system also gets de-pressurised. What you may have heard also was the DPF finishing off a regeneration that happened to coincide with you stopping the engine

What about Petrol Turbo engine? Any cool down require? I dont remember the salesperson asking me to cool down the petrol engine before turning off completely when i had the overnight test car.
01-08-2012 05:11am
Neo

I have the same problem and hear an audiable squell sound from the engine after I stop the car. It lasts for about 2mins and then it goes away. It is a bit annoying. Is this the same issue everyone is experiencing and is it normal for a diesel engine?

SD4 Dynamic, Fuji white 5 door
Pano roof, Adaptive Dynamics, style 7 wheels, auto tailgate, reverse camera, rear vents

Ordered: April 2012 | Built: June 2012 | Delivered: 14 August 2012
16-08-2012 11:50am
Stadt Panzer

WHAT'S THAT NOISE...

Neo. I'm used to hearing such sounds as my Discovery used to do the same. It's the norm as far as I'm concerned for LR

Somewhere in the North Sea.
16-08-2012 11:56am