• 0 Votes - 0 Average
WHAT'S THAT NOISE...
QUEEVO

WHAT'S THAT NOISE...

Normal...

regards,
Queevo
----------------------------------------------------------------------
MY12 TD4 Prestige Auto, Baltic Blue / Vibe, Tech, Surround Cameras, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass
16-08-2012 12:30pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Neo

RE: WHAT'S THAT NOISE...

Oh. Can't they suppress the noise somehow? I thought i was hearing things and was shocked it came from the car.

SD4 Dynamic, Fuji white 5 door
Pano roof, Adaptive Dynamics, style 7 wheels, auto tailgate, reverse camera, rear vents

Ordered: April 2012 | Built: June 2012 | Delivered: 14 August 2012
16-08-2012 12:37pm
Urban Splash

Aye, mines 'whines' after switching the engine off. Goes on for ages sometimes. It sounds like fans rotating.....

Presumed it was normal.

Delivered: Evoque 5 door Prestige SD4 Auto 4WD, Orkney Grey, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Ivory Headliner, Vibe Interior, Spare wheel, 20" Chrome Shadow Style 7
16-08-2012 01:14pm
Neo

WHAT'S THAT NOISE...

Looks like this is a feature of the car (although abit annoying)

Pano roof, Adaptive Dynamics, style 7 wheels, auto tailgate, reverse camera, rear vents

16-08-2012 01:16pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Yes they could make it all switch off as soon as you press the STOP button, but seeing as nobody reads the instruction manual about how to switch off a turbodiesel engine by letting it idle for 4-5 minutes after a run to stop the turbo from getting damaged, LR has built in a cooling and de-pressuring cycle to protect your turbo and high pressure fuel system from damage.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 16-08-2012 11:15pm by XFullFatTim.)
16-08-2012 05:10pm
Neo

Re: WHAT'S THAT NOISE...

Funny the audi and bmw diesel engines dont have this issue? And ive driven both the q5 and x3. Its just strange thats all.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

16-08-2012 10:32pm
yupstr8up

(16-08-2012 05:10pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Yes they could make it all switch off as soon as you press the STOP button, but seeing as nobody reads the instruction manual about how to switch off a turbodiesel engine by letting it idle for 4-5 minutes after a run to stop the turbo from getting damaged, LR has built in a cooling and de-pressuring cycle to protect your turbo and high pressure fuel system from damage.

Hi XFullFatTim
I have made exactly the same journey to see if distance is the criteria for the length that the sound makes...no it isn't. One day it can be 3 minutes and the next 27 minutes. Should that sound be apparant when your just openening the doors too, though this does go off in a matter of seconds. I have also tried leaving the car running after i get home for 2-3 minutes, makes no difference. Iv'e been in touch with the dealer who are doing background investigations then hopefully will ring me.....here's waiting...Exclamation
(16-08-2012 10:32pm)Neo Wrote:  Funny the audi and bmw diesel engines dont have this issue? And ive driven both the q5 and x3. Its just strange thats all.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Neo
The dealer told me that all the electrical and mechanical systems shut down slowly, hence the audible noise, rergardless of how far or fast youv'e driven....Hmmmmmm....My last car was everything auto, never made a sound once turned off, i get that the turbo needs to cool, is this then the same as leaving older turbo's engines to run fully until they cool (timed shut down)? Keep an eye on it Neo, mine just got longer and longer to shut off, however........I STILL LOVE THE CAR !

Pure 5 door Fuji white SD4, Clearview and Teck pack, auto tailgate, street legal tint. 19" turned diamond wheels. Reversing camera, front and rear sensors.
(This post was last modified: 17-08-2012 02:57am by yupstr8up.)
17-08-2012 02:51am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I've never had the systems take as long as that to shut down, maybe something to do with too much heat in Australia.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
17-08-2012 09:05am
PhilSkill

Yes and this suggests it's a cooling fan that makes the noise although it's very high pitched for that, mine doesn't always do it in cold/wet England, haven't noticed it recently.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
17-08-2012 09:25am
yupstr8up

(17-08-2012 09:05am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I've never had the systems take as long as that to shut down, maybe something to do with too much heat in Australia.

Ahhhhhh....yes indeed XFullFatTim but its BLOODY WINTER AND BLOODY COLD hereNer Ner.....i know, yes it gets cold here too...no really! We had one day of 24 i didn't notice any difference in the stop time. Should the doors when you open them and the engine is off make the same noise for 2-4 minutes also.... The engine is off and hadn't been turned on?
Hey if its the norm then all good....i just dont want to think i might be letting things get worse...It goes in on wednesday for the mech's to have a listen...i'll keep you posted.

Pure 5 door Fuji white SD4, Clearview and Teck pack, auto tailgate, street legal tint. 19" turned diamond wheels. Reversing camera, front and rear sensors.
20-08-2012 07:13am