Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Very Poor Economy
fam1x

RE: Very Poor Economy

I've had it checked by LR and they say there's nothing wrong. I don't think I have a heavy foot as I drive sensibly most of the time plus in central London you cant go racing with 2 little boys in the back Smile

Average speed I'm doing most of the time is 30mph

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
11-02-2014 11:45am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I think you have answered your own query there Fam1x - London stop start driving is a killer for any car, but more so for a diesel because to get good miles per gallon they need to run at a steady RPM for a long period. Like a lot of people living in big cities you may have been better of with a petrol engined car with no DPF. Also not great driving an automatic diesel in city motoring as you tend to sit in traffic with the engine trying to run against a torque converter and the brakes all the time unless you sit with the gearbox in N and the parking brake on

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
12-02-2014 03:06pm
KaDargo

(12-02-2014 03:06pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I think you have answered your own query there Fam1x - London stop start driving is a killer for any car, but more so for a diesel because to get good miles per gallon they need to run at a steady RPM for a long period. Like a lot of people living in big cities you may have been better of with a petrol engined car with no DPF. Also not great driving an automatic diesel in city motoring as you tend to sit in traffic with the engine trying to run against a torque converter and the brakes all the time unless you sit with the gearbox in N and the parking brake on

The wife uses ours during the week (8 miles there & back) and I mostly weekends and evenings - we average 35.
I haven't driven for a couple of weeks, so just her commute to work, and it's showing 26 !

SD4 Prestige, Mauritius, Element, Cirrus Headlining, Pana Roof, Park Assist, Heated Steering Wheel,Blind Spot monitor, 20" Alloys, Powered Tailgate
12-02-2014 06:01pm
timhum

I had a similar issue with a Jaguar XF which gave decent fuel consumption for 30k miles and then started decreasing quite severely. The car was used for a 150 mile daily round trip so there was no slow and stop/start motoring. The issue deemed to emanate from the DPF which was trying to regenerate very frequently and failing. No tests performed by Jaguar could provide a solution, it even went back to the factory. A result of the problem became frequent warning lights about reduced power etc and it being recovered to the dealer 6 times in 10K miles. Given no solution I sold it back to the dealer, at a very significant loss. I'm told the next buyer had issues with it so the problem wasn't just with me and my driving style as suggested by JLR at one point. I reckon these systems are so complex there are problems occurring to a a greater or lesser degree affecting many dpf fitted cars and perhaps accounting for the very different fuel consumption figures obtained by owners.
As for our Evoque it seems to return an average, in mixed driving, of about 34mpg, whilst cruising at 50/60 mph will get this to 40mpg if we speed up to an average of 80mph, as we often do in France, consumption increases to 33mpg. Reports of 50mpg at 70/80 mpg in the 9 speed car fill me with a little scepticism although it would be great to be proved wrong.

Tim
Evoque SD4 Pure Tech, Auto, Orkney, Panoramic roof, dipping and folding mirrors
14-02-2014 10:35pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Tim, I have only 6 weeks more to wait for my "assured delivery to the delearship by 31st march...." new 9 speeder and I hope to be able to show if UK driving can get as good as driving across Europe. First long drive will be out of the North London forecourt of HGG and up to Stirling - not only do I expect to see significantly improved fuel consumption, I hope to make the journey without having to refuel like I did in the last Evoque and never had to in either of my RRS's or the V8 FFRR (did help that they had 100ltr fuel tanks though!). One of the best mpg figures I got in my last Evoque was on the "maiden voyage" from West London up to Stirling on a brand new engine.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 18-02-2014 08:51am by XFullFatTim.)
18-02-2014 08:50am
fam1x

Would be interested to see the result Tim Smile I wasn't to fussed about the mpg until recently when it fell below 20mpg. Especially when LR say the car can do 50 or more. I never expected 50 but hoped to achieve 30 not that I'm heavy footed or bad driving style. As I was able to get 30mpg from the Porsche in London roughly same driving style it not more faster on the porsche. Clearly there is an issue which LR aren't willing to deal with as its easy for them to say its your driving style.

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
18-02-2014 03:48pm
m_101

I agree fam1x. I do have a thirsty driving style and still average about 32mpg (over the last 10k miles of entirely mixed driving. Still, could always hope for better if I were in a new 9-speeder, but just not sure I can justify upgrading at the moment as it's a pretty costly business!

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
19-02-2014 12:53am
mark_n

Do the arithmetic, be realistic about depreciation and you will see that any fuel cost savings from upgrading will be swamped by the depreciation.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
19-02-2014 12:19pm
jos

eD4 150 bhp 2wd
55.000 km > 2 year average
1 : 14 not SO bad

ORDER16-09/2011>DEL; 27-01/2012

eD4-PURE fuji /black int./coup
pano-roof/techPACK > done !;painted wheels
3cm lowering/2cm spacers ; ROOFwrap
already > 52.000 km drive ; average;1lit/14km
ré-painted bumperparts and mirrors

4 y.TT mk1
2 y.MINIc-S
4 y.TT mk2
1 yr mini CM;
so i fit exactly in de evoque-profile...
2015 > TTmk3......?
19-02-2014 05:01pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chunk

I've just sold my evoque and I was averaging 28mpg. Not great but I didn't buy the evoque for fuel economy, if you did then you will be disappointed as its not really what the car is about regardless of the marketing. Although I'm sure the new 9 speeder will help overall.

Ordered Feb 2012 - Orkney grey 5dr Dynamic SD4 Automatic. Lux pack, Dynamic plus Pack (velocity ebony leather) ebony headliner and gloss black finishers. Shadow chrome style 7s, heated steering wheel and a spare wheel just in case! Build date 6/7/12 delivery date 23/7/12. Built 3/7 pick up 14/7!!!!!
19-02-2014 08:36pm