Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
[VIDEO] What if you left the Evoque's key...and the engine was still running
JackMac

RE: [VIDEO] What if you left the Evoque's key...and the engine was still running

Had keyless ignition in my BMW E90 6 years ago. It really wasn't an issue, and I now prefer keyless start if available.

Now, with our LR3 (Disco 3) my wife did manage find a way to lock the keys inside the car with the engine running. Actually the LR locked itself. Hint: don't ever enter from the passenger side to start the vehicle and then walk away for a moment Wink

2012 Range Rover Evoque 5-door Si4
23-01-2012 11:06pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DecensMagazin

RE: [VIDEO] What if you left the Evoque's key...and the engine was still running

Hi all happy Evoque owners! I am the guy who through out the key on window. Some of you suggest it makes a different through window or on door. Unfortunatelly NOT! I am the owner of Decens Magazin, and I had that white Evoque for a test. In my hungarian article I wrote step by step, how I realised this symptom: http://www.decens.hu/range-rover-evoque-...teszt.html maybe you can use Google translator to understand my article, or I try to make you a short summarise about this part. I drove to a shop, and to spare time I left out my wife with our daughter in Evoque. As it was cold outside, I left the engine running. Just cca 20m from the car, at the gate of the shop I realised the key is hunging in my neck. I run back to the Evoque, it was running without any warning! As I jumped out through the door, not through the window, you can be sure symptom was same as on the video! I hope, I could help to clarify the picture!
Adam
25-01-2012 12:49am
Biker

Does your display panel at any time tell you "No Key"?
I'll be damned if there is no warning message if you try to drive away that warns you the key is no longer in close proximity.
Even my Nissan at half the Evoque's price tells me that. And it beeps to warn you too. It does not stop you from driving off, but you have to be seriously blind to ignore the warning message.

When you left your wife in the car with engine running, what would she need key for? She can still drive it, or use anything in the car whilst the engine is running or even switch it off and wait till you come back.

I honestly don't seen the issue with keyless stop/start. I think the complaints would be far more serious if the car would stop & lock itself every time the key goes out of range.

The only car I could ever leave the engine running and take the key out of the ignition to lock the door/open/unlock the fuel cap was a late 1980's model Isuzu with lots of km's on the clock. Wear & tear worn away the locking mechanism of the ignition.

TD4 180 HSE MY17 Fuji White
(This post was last modified: 25-01-2012 10:08pm by Biker.)
25-01-2012 09:57pm
cjfp

It does tell you that the smart key cannot be found.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
25-01-2012 11:31pm
vision*R

All you people who find this behaviour strange, what do you expect the car to do in this case?
- Simply shut off the engine the second you throw the key out of the car?
- Shut off the engine as soon as you've driven away 100m, at 50 km/h and in the middle of the road?
- ...?

I don't see a real solution, expect for a better signal maybe. Some beeping similar to the seatbelt chime?
Although I guess it's not easy to do if you don't open one of the doors.

Maybe I'm just used to it as my Lexus behaves the same way.

Prestige TD4 5d / Fuji White / Tech pack / Parallel park / Pano / Order 26/01/2011 / Build 13/12/11 / Arrival 04/01/2012
(This post was last modified: 26-01-2012 08:33am by vision*R.)
26-01-2012 08:32am
simonc

(22-01-2012 11:02pm)LDT Wrote:  When my car arrives, it seems that gone will be the days of getting out of the car, engine running, to close the gates. Really bad habit I know, but this has applied my mind. Must switch off and lock, no matter how quickly I can close the gates. Aside from anything else, I wouldn't be insured, let alone the heartache of losing my make up! Evil

Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

How would this situation be any different from a car with regular ignition where you left the key in the ignition with the car running? A would be thief could just as easily jump in the car and drive off. At least with the evoque keyless he then won't be able to get anywhere once he stops and turns off the engine.

Dynamic Si4 5dr Orkney Grey, Black Pano, Vortex + Ebony, Keyless Entry, Spare Wheel
Collected 12th March 2012
26-01-2012 12:56pm
LDT

It wouldn't be different. I was pointing out that I have got into a very bad habit.

Prestige SD4 Auto, Ipanema/Ambience, Style 4 Wheels, Pan Roof, Privacy, Dimming Mirror, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps.
[Image: 116286.png]
26-01-2012 07:55pm