Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The curse of bio diesel !
Inges

The curse of bio diesel !

By the way: In Norway during the winter we have a certain diesel for winter and a different type of diesel during the summer. I see that below certain temperatures diesel tend to extract wax from the diesel so the diesel filter get's blocked by the wax. The summer diesel we have in Norway should be good up too - 24 c while the winter diesel here manage -40 c. But it's also recommened that you keep the tank filled up as well during the winter.

/Inge
(This post was last modified: 25-03-2013 11:22pm by Inges.)
25-03-2013 11:17pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: The curse of bio diesel !

Inges we also have summer and winter formulations of diesel in the UK

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
25-03-2013 11:21pm
Inges

(25-03-2013 11:21pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Inges we also have summer and winter formulations of diesel in the UK

Yeah it kinda figured that out just after I wrote it. Smile

Here is some nice information regarding diesel on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_diesel_fuel

/Inge

Collected: 15.06.2012
Prestige TD4 Santorini Black, Manual, Dyn & Prestige Tech Pack, 825W Sound System, Surround Camera System, Privacy Glass, Adp. Bi-Xenon, Panoramic Roof, Cherry/Ivory

[Image: 166903.png]
(This post was last modified: 25-03-2013 11:34pm by Inges.)
25-03-2013 11:25pm
Jonathon555

(25-03-2013 10:54pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I wonder if the last batch of fuel you filled up with was emulsified water/diesel. With low air temperatures and "warm" diesel in the filling station tanks there may be condensation in the tanks. The other way that you can get emulsified diesel is when crooked tanker truck drivers add water to their cargo............ On the ship we have recently had huge issues with what is called Cappuccino fuel - unlikely to happen on a filling station forecourt as it requires passing lots of compressed air through the fuel to make it foam a lot giving a false delivery quantity - bearing in mind that we are using heavy fuel not diesel and we pay $700 a tonne and buy 7,00 -10,000 tonnes at a fill up so the potential for map-practice is huge and the profits vast.

The fuel distribution/ storage facility is 6 - 10 miles max from the garages I fill up at. The only thing I know is that ships full of raw diesel fuel sit just offshore of uk waters waiting to unload when the price is right.

God knows how degraded the fuel is before it hits the uk shore storage terminal.

You may have a point on water contamination though. It is certainly not the first time in this area.

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
(This post was last modified: 25-03-2013 11:54pm by Jonathon555.)
25-03-2013 11:53pm
jitenc

Out of interest, does anyone know how much percentage of additives is Shell V-power? And do any shelf additives to enhance the performance, cause the wax built up, thereby blocking the fuel filters?
Haven't experienced the problem yet, but does the problem occur just at start up or while on the move.. Bit scary to have sudden loss of power when at high speeds on the motorway.

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
26-03-2013 07:59am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

(25-03-2013 11:53pm)Jonathon555 Wrote:  The fuel distribution/ storage facility is 6 - 10 miles max from the garages I fill up at. The only thing I know is that ships full of raw diesel fuel sit just offshore of uk waters waiting to unload when the price is right.

God knows how degraded the fuel is before it hits the uk shore storage terminal.
You may have a point on water contamination though. It is certainly not the first time in this area.

Those ships sitting offshore will more than like NOT be full of diesel waiting for the price to go up - they will be full of crude oil for delivery to the refinery to make into diesel and petrol and waiting for the tide to be right so they don't leave the oil on the beaches. The way that the really big tankers operate is to leave the oil producing areas at very slow speed and slow steam to get their arrival at the berth right, not to act as storage tanks waiting for the price to rise. Please don't believe everything you read in the daily Mail or the Sun

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
26-03-2013 09:13am