Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The curse of bio diesel !
Jonathon555

RE: The curse of bio diesel !

(24-03-2013 07:14pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  There's part of your answer - the 2.2TDi in the Evoque is a Ford/PSA engine

Common theme amongst forums , same stable same problem

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
24-03-2013 08:19pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ED209

My car had a blocked fuel filter after 6000 miles, the technican said it was quite a common issue. It also went into limp home mode.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
24-03-2013 09:49pm
Jonathon555

(24-03-2013 09:49pm)ED209 Wrote:  My car had a blocked fuel filter after 6000 miles, the technican said it was quite a common issue. It also went into limp home mode.

Fill up at Tesco Durham by any chance ?

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
24-03-2013 09:52pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Wonder if anybody over on the Freel2 forums has suffered the same issue

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
25-03-2013 12:24am
ED209

(24-03-2013 09:52pm)Jonathon555 Wrote:  Fill up at Tesco Durham by any chance ?

Er nope but 90% of my fuel came from tesco consett so probably the same fuel!

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
25-03-2013 11:32am
muff

The curse of bio diesel !

(24-03-2013 06:02pm)BaringTech Wrote:  I got my Evoque back on Friday after it spent 10 days at the dealers while they investigated a very similar problem.

The engine was warm and I was more than halfway to work when it coughed and spluttered and very nearly stalled on me. The yellow triangle came up with the restricted performance warning and I think I saw a low fuel pressure warning (over half a tank of diesel left though). The rest of the journey was completed very slowly and carefully and I then called Land Rover Assistance.

The Land Rover tech guy plugged in his laptop and the fault logged was "P0087-22 - Fuel rail pressure too low." He would have changed the fuel filter there and then if he had one on him, but he didn't so he referred me to the dealers (where it had been serviced only four weeks previously!).

The dealer could not find a definitive reason for the fault and spent a few days talking to Land Rover, uploading data from the engine management system. In the end they just changed the fuel filter and declared it fixed. I've put a few miles on it this weekend without any further hiccups - time will tell.

PS - I've never put supermarket fuel in it, mainly BP Ultimate, or Shell V-Power and the standard versions when those are not available.

My RR Sport did this once and gave the same message "fuel rail pressure too low" it went into limp mode and nearly had me wiped out on a roundabout due to the sudden and without warning loss of power. LR Assist guy traced my fault not to the fuel filter but to a minuscule leak of fuel passing the Schrader valve that is used to bleed air out of the fuel system (same as a tyre valve) located under the bonnet near the bulkhead on the Sport. Replaced this and never had bother again. I wonder if this could be the problem
25-03-2013 11:37am
Westy

There is something strange with this common problem but I feel lucky after doing 37000m without missing a beat, two weeks ago I did 1500 miles in one week all over the uk and mostly supermarket fuel.

The scary part is fuel now in the uk is now b7 to fit in with European directives and that means it can be produced with up to 7% bio and bio can mean anything, rape, palm and many other nasties, I know with my work that the Germans are even been pushed into b10 (10%) however many oems are not happy about this.

En590 fuels are blended to an exact specification, nothing more nothing less,

Worth keeping an eye on this one

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
25-03-2013 10:13pm
Inges

Just ticked 23000km on my car and with temps below -20 here during winter I haven't experienced any issues with the fuel filter. I fill up my car with fuel from Statoil and sometimes Shell V-Power, but mostly Statoil. They are adding up to 7% biodiesel in their diesel.

/Inge

Collected: 15.06.2012
Prestige TD4 Santorini Black, Manual, Dyn & Prestige Tech Pack, 825W Sound System, Surround Camera System, Privacy Glass, Adp. Bi-Xenon, Panoramic Roof, Cherry/Ivory

[Image: 166903.png]
25-03-2013 10:32pm
Jonathon555

(25-03-2013 10:32pm)Inges Wrote:  Just ticked 23000km on my car and with temps below -20 here during winter I haven't experienced any issues with the fuel filter. I fill up my car with fuel from Statoil and sometimes Shell V-Power, but mostly Statoil. They are adding up to 7% biodiesel in their diesel.

/Inge

Interesting, maybe some other factors are coming into play in the uk. Poor fuel storage maybe

After googling the problem , it is widespread in the uk.

I am just wondering what it's gonna happen again to me

25-03-2013 10:43pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I wonder if the last batch of fuel you filled up with was emulsified water/diesel. With low air temperatures and "warm" diesel in the filling station tanks there may be condensation in the tanks. The other way that you can get emulsified diesel is when crooked tanker truck drivers add water to their cargo............ On the ship we have recently had huge issues with what is called Cappuccino fuel - unlikely to happen on a filling station forecourt as it requires passing lots of compressed air through the fuel to make it foam a lot giving a false delivery quantity - bearing in mind that we are using heavy fuel not diesel and we pay $700 a tonne and buy 7,00 -10,000 tonnes at a fill up so the potential for map-practice is huge and the profits vast.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
25-03-2013 10:54pm