Car went into meltdown

Charger System Fault
Adaptive Dynamics Fault
Camera Fault
Gearbox Fault
Screen went black, nav & radio shut down
Indicators & lights failed
Electric seats were dead
Car went 'dark', locked the doors & alarmed with me in, AND wouldn't unlock! Confused

The dash was sea of orange and red triangles Censored

It's now sat in my garage on charge - is this the return of the dreaded battery issue I suffered when the car was new? LR want £120 p/h (plus tax) to look at it, as long as I take it to them (150miles way).

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
10-10-2014 03:55pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Car went into meltdown

No warranty left? It's only a 2012 car so surely there is another 12 months to go?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
10-10-2014 04:04pm
Sarcastrix

Not in Sweden (and most of mainland Europe?). 2 years is your lot then LR run away laughing, rubbing their in glee - feckers!

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
10-10-2014 04:14pm
mighTTy-RRE

Might be worth trying a battery disconnect (for at least 30 minutes to allow all capacitors etc to discharge) and then reconnect?

This effectively is giving all the electronics a cold start - might work might not????

(The basis of this comment is my wife's Audi A3 through a wobbly which the RAC couldnt fix. It was suggested doing this on the Audi forums and seeing what happened. All electronics came back to life and 5 days later so far so good....)
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2014 06:00pm by mighTTy-RRE.)
10-10-2014 05:59pm
cutter7

Car went into meltdown

(10-10-2014 03:55pm)Sarcastrix Wrote:  Charger System Fault
Adaptive Dynamics Fault
Camera Fault
Gearbox Fault
Screen went black, nav & radio shut down
Indicators & lights failed
Electric seats were dead
Car went 'dark', locked the doors & alarmed with me in, AND wouldn't unlock! Confused

The dash was sea of orange and red triangles Censored

It's now sat in my garage on charge - is this the return of the dreaded battery issue I suffered when the car was new? LR want £120 p/h (plus tax) to look at it, as long as I take it to them (150miles way).

I had all your 'exact' problems flashing up about 18 months ago!

I called LR breakdown as soon as I limped home and they arrived within 30 mins and after a thorough investigation they were able to pin point the problem.. to water in the wiring loom behind the rear view camera! Dealership renewed this under warranty and I have never had a problem since.

I was told by the service dep't that the water proof seal behind the unit had perished and this was a known problem in the early models, and that this has now been rectified. .. Mine was registered 9/12/11.

10-10-2014 07:17pm
m_101

I had had the exact same problem cutter7 and the exact same cause. Repaired under warranty by the local dealer.
Mine is an April 2012 car.

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
10-10-2014 10:13pm
Sarcastrix

Battery has been on charge all weekend. Went out at 05.30 to drive to work, it started fine, drove 5 mins down the road ... yep, exactly the same problem Censored

Will have to check the rear camera.

Found this post from Dec 2012 on another RRE forum:

Quote:It seems that the backup camera wiring to the medium speed can-bus was corroded (8k KM!) and was causing feedback on the bus, making everything on that bus shutdown. They ordered some harness and a new camera and disconnected the old one for now until they get the parts in (2weeks+). So far, it looks like the problem is solved. We'll see when they connect the new camera back.

Been looking on TOPIx and found this, anyone have access to it?

Quote:LTB00464v2 - Camera Fault Displayed In The HLDF With Possible Alternator Charging Light Displayed, Potential Loss Of MS (Medium Speed) CAN

(This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 06:57am by Sarcastrix.)
13-10-2014 06:11am
Donny Dog

(13-10-2014 06:11am)Sarcastrix Wrote:  Battery has been on charge all weekend. Went out at 05.30 to drive to work, it started fine, drove 5 mins down the road ... yep, exactly the same problem Censored

Will have to check the rear camera.

Found this post from Dec 2012 on another RRE forum:

Been looking on TOPIx and found this, anyone have access to it?

I would certainly expect a free repair if a defective (rather than worn out) seal is the cause of the problem, whether the car was under warranty or not. I don't know about in Sweden, but I'm sure UK legislation would support such an expectation. Indeed, it would be tantamount to charging you for a recall issue.
18-10-2014 01:39pm