babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Car went into meltdown - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Car went into meltdown (/Thread-Car-went-into-meltdown)

Car went into meltdown - Sarcastrix - 10-10-2014 03:55pm

Charger System Fault
Adaptive Dynamics Fault
Camera Fault
Gearbox Fault
Screen went black, nav & radio shut down
Indicators & lights failed
Electric seats were dead
Car went 'dark', locked the doors & alarmed with me in, AND wouldn't unlock! Confused

The dash was sea of orange and red triangles Censored

It's now sat in my garage on charge - is this the return of the dreaded battery issue I suffered when the car was new? LR want £120 p/h (plus tax) to look at it, as long as I take it to them (150miles way).

RE: Car went into meltdown - XFullFatTim - 10-10-2014 04:04pm

No warranty left? It's only a 2012 car so surely there is another 12 months to go?

RE: Car went into meltdown - Sarcastrix - 10-10-2014 04:14pm

Not in Sweden (and most of mainland Europe?). 2 years is your lot then LR run away laughing, rubbing their in glee - feckers!

RE: Car went into meltdown - mighTTy-RRE - 10-10-2014 05:59pm

Might be worth trying a battery disconnect (for at least 30 minutes to allow all capacitors etc to discharge) and then reconnect?

This effectively is giving all the electronics a cold start - might work might not????

(The basis of this comment is my wife's Audi A3 through a wobbly which the RAC couldnt fix. It was suggested doing this on the Audi forums and seeing what happened. All electronics came back to life and 5 days later so far so good....)

Car went into meltdown - cutter7 - 10-10-2014 07:17pm

(10-10-2014 03:55pm)Sarcastrix Wrote:  Charger System Fault
Adaptive Dynamics Fault
Camera Fault
Gearbox Fault
Screen went black, nav & radio shut down
Indicators & lights failed
Electric seats were dead
Car went 'dark', locked the doors & alarmed with me in, AND wouldn't unlock! Confused

The dash was sea of orange and red triangles Censored

It's now sat in my garage on charge - is this the return of the dreaded battery issue I suffered when the car was new? LR want £120 p/h (plus tax) to look at it, as long as I take it to them (150miles way).

I had all your 'exact' problems flashing up about 18 months ago!

I called LR breakdown as soon as I limped home and they arrived within 30 mins and after a thorough investigation they were able to pin point the problem.. to water in the wiring loom behind the rear view camera! Dealership renewed this under warranty and I have never had a problem since.

I was told by the service dep't that the water proof seal behind the unit had perished and this was a known problem in the early models, and that this has now been rectified. .. Mine was registered 9/12/11.

RE: Car went into meltdown - m_101 - 10-10-2014 10:13pm

I had had the exact same problem cutter7 and the exact same cause. Repaired under warranty by the local dealer.
Mine is an April 2012 car.

RE: Car went into meltdown - Sarcastrix - 13-10-2014 06:11am

Battery has been on charge all weekend. Went out at 05.30 to drive to work, it started fine, drove 5 mins down the road ... yep, exactly the same problem Censored

Will have to check the rear camera.

Found this post from Dec 2012 on another RRE forum:

Quote:It seems that the backup camera wiring to the medium speed can-bus was corroded (8k KM!) and was causing feedback on the bus, making everything on that bus shutdown. They ordered some harness and a new camera and disconnected the old one for now until they get the parts in (2weeks+). So far, it looks like the problem is solved. We'll see when they connect the new camera back.

Been looking on TOPIx and found this, anyone have access to it?

Quote:LTB00464v2 - Camera Fault Displayed In The HLDF With Possible Alternator Charging Light Displayed, Potential Loss Of MS (Medium Speed) CAN

RE: Car went into meltdown - Donny Dog - 18-10-2014 01:39pm

(13-10-2014 06:11am)Sarcastrix Wrote:  Battery has been on charge all weekend. Went out at 05.30 to drive to work, it started fine, drove 5 mins down the road ... yep, exactly the same problem Censored

Will have to check the rear camera.

Found this post from Dec 2012 on another RRE forum:

Been looking on TOPIx and found this, anyone have access to it?

I would certainly expect a free repair if a defective (rather than worn out) seal is the cause of the problem, whether the car was under warranty or not. I don't know about in Sweden, but I'm sure UK legislation would support such an expectation. Indeed, it would be tantamount to charging you for a recall issue.