Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Test drive done and dusted! Now more confused than ever!
miha.m

RE: Test drive done and dusted! Now more confused than ever!

I tested both in manual version - I could not tell the difference,... (but it was a couple of weeks in between).

BR : Miha

Evoque TD4 Prestige (Barolo black, Couture interior)
MINI Cooper S "John Cooper Works" tuning (2004)
Harley Davidson Rocker C - FXCW/C (2009)
29-08-2012 03:51pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NightFox

Are there torque curve graphs available anywhere to make a comparison? Everytime I make up my mind somebody brings this up again and throws me back into a state of indecision...

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Mauritius Blue ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Adaptive Xenons ~ Park Assist ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Powerfold Mirrors ~ Autodimming Mirror
Ordered 14/6/12 ~ Built 13/11/12 ~ Delivered 15/11/12 ~ Collected 20/11/12

[Image: 163643.png]
(This post was last modified: 29-08-2012 04:01pm by NightFox.)
29-08-2012 04:00pm
Eddy

If there is just about 1000,- price difference, i should choose the SD. I test drived even a ED4 with 150/380 bhp/nm. I did the job adequate, but if you want to feel a little special, take the SD.
I admit, I'm a little spoiled as a former BMW 525d owner (230 hp) but with around 200 hp, the car will truly come to life.

A fine engine is (in my eyes) more worth than an automatic box or a panorama roof.

Good luck with your choice.

BTW: I ordered in june a SD4 Pure 5d, Fuji white, Ebony interior, Tech and visibility pack and satnav. It will be produced last week of septemberVery HappyVery Happy

On order: SD 5d Pure , Fuji White, Ebony leather, 18" style 2, Clear View Pack, Tech Pack, Tow bar, spare wheel, Satnav: what does a man need more....
29-08-2012 10:02pm
NightFox

Arghhh! I've got 2 days left before my 'last date for change' and I'm still unsure between TD4 or SD4 (manual), just when I think I'm finally settled, another niggle comes along...

I think the number one factor for me is going to be economy. On one hand I'm thinking that in theory the TD4 should be more economical, but then I'm also thinking that the extra power of the SD4 would let me hang on to high gears longer without labouring the engine so in fact might be more economical. I know on paper they both show the same fuel economy, but I'm sure the two engines aren't going to be identical in the real world.

Most of my driving is longer runs rather than local stop/start, so the car's going to spend most of its time at lower revs in high gear, but without being able to compare torque curves for the two engines, I just can't work out which engine would handle that better. In the big picture, I guess the fuel economy wouldn't be more than a couple of hundred quid over a year, but the price of fuel is spoiling my driving pleasure more and more these days, so every little bit helps psychologically!

I don't want to find myself with an SD4 thinking "I could be saving fuel with a TD4 and still getting similar performance", but on the other hand I don't want to be with a TD4 thinking the opposite, especially if the TD4 lacks oomph at low revs.

I realise it's going to be a personal choice at the end of the day, but I'm still hoping to find just one fact or experience that will sway me for good... (and yes, I have read all the TD4 v SD4 posts on here and other forums where people have already asked the same question dozens of times already!)

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Mauritius Blue ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Adaptive Xenons ~ Park Assist ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Powerfold Mirrors ~ Autodimming Mirror

(This post was last modified: 15-10-2012 10:34am by NightFox.)
15-10-2012 10:32am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I think you will find that changing derivatives from TD4 to SD4 might set back your delivery, final call is mostly for the other options unless your dealer has already confirmed that that is possible, I would check with them that you can still make the change.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 15-10-2012 10:51am by XFullFatTim.)
15-10-2012 10:49am
NightFox

(15-10-2012 10:49am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Ummmmmmm I think you will find that changing derivatives from TD4 to SD4 might set back your delivery, final call is mostly for the other options

Dealer reckons it'll still be a mid-end Nov build, even if I change engine now. To be honest I'll probably stay with the TD4, guess I'm just getting cold feet and looking for some reassurance that I'm not going to spend the next 3 years thinking I made the wrong choice - it's a lot of money to get it wrong with.

15-10-2012 10:57am
PhilSkill

(15-10-2012 10:32am)NightFox Wrote:  I think the number one factor for me is going to be economy. On one hand I'm thinking that in theory the TD4 should be more economical,

This sentence to me means your order for the TD4 over the SD4 is the probably right one... The TD4 will be more economical than the SD4 over it's life. Of course eD4 will be further economic but that's as there's no 4WD.

Unless you constantly drive with your foot down then you'll probably not notice day to day SD4 over TD4, and if you drive like that you can't be thinking economy.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
15-10-2012 11:52am
NightFox

(15-10-2012 11:52am)PhilSkill Wrote:  This sentence to me means your order for the TD4 over the SD4 is the probably right one... The TD4 will be more economical than the SD4 over it's life. Of course eD4 will be further economic but that's as there's no 4WD.

Unless you constantly drive with your foot down then you'll probably not notice day to day SD4 over TD4, and if you drive like that you can't be thinking economy.

Thank you, just what I wanted to hear Smile. Now please no-one say anything else to contradict this, at least not until after Wednesday!

15-10-2012 11:55am
FujiSan

It's down to power output really, IMHO. The extra power of the SD4 will only be noticeable if you are actually going to use it. I.e. by spending a lot of time towing or accelerating of maybe even off road.

Judging by what you describe as your driving style, I would tend to agree that the TD4 would probably be the better option. Longer distance cruising does not need a lot of power. If you will use it as a towing vehicle, then get the SD4 as it will be better suited.

TD4 Pure - Now a rare breed...

[Image: 131166.png]
15-10-2012 12:04pm
Westy

I dont think you will be disappointed, I have the td4 and as you say the torque figures which are the important ones are very close between sd4 and td4, last weekend I had a mad dash down to teignmouth with some mates complete with a roofbox, 5 adults luggage and a 1.5t boat and still ended up with just over 30mpg and that was moving along.

Even overtook a few cars going up telegraph hill, smiling as we and a boat went whooshing past other ongoers struggling for gears and torque.

I would rather spend the spare money on extras That you will appreciate.

I am still pleasantly surprised at how well this 4x4 goes, as an overall package i think it is difficult to beat. Very Happy

You will IMO be pleased which ever one you choose.

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
15-10-2012 12:45pm