Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Stopping the rattles
Ricvifarho

RE: Stopping the rattles

(28-01-2012 08:01pm)Tony Wrote:  We have the headliner rattle package, just behind the passengers sun visor. If the sun visor is pulled down and you lightly tap the headliner with a finger tip, something behind rattles. The driver side is solid, guess either some padding is missing or a maybe the harness to the overhead electrics is not clipped properly. Its going back to the dealer Tuesday, wonder what else will rattle on the way home. . I hate cars that rattle Mad

Yes mine too has that no-cost option (!)...but by pulling down the passenger side headliner just aft of the windscreen, and inserting special part no 54677 (std mk 1 index finger) it is possible to feel a wiring loom, and by holding this still, the noise goes away. It only rattles sometimes, usually when you are taking a passenger, generally someone who you have just told that LR quality issues are a thing of the past (..for Halewood built cars anyhow).
Will get dealer to fix when I can be bothered to take it in. Car otherwise is a joy - and is silent- unlike my last Audi which was in regularly for rattles...

#1...Prestige SD4, Firenze, manual, adaptive dynamics and xenons, pano, black rails...not much else
Del 1/3/12 ,59000 very enjoyable miles
#2...HSE Dynamic TD4180, March 2016, Firenze with Santorini roof, roof rails from #1, auto, adaptive dynamics, pano, adaptive LEDs...Meridian 380W..and heated steering wheel! This is Scotland after all!
08-01-2013 12:22am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
speary

To fix this all you need to do is drop the roof console and feel to the left and you will find an electrical module stuck to the headlining. Just insert a piece of foam in between this and the roof. There is one on the right as well.
This has fixed mine. To lower the roof console, just lever it out from the corners furthest from the windscreen

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
08-01-2013 09:39am
berlin2011

(08-01-2013 09:39am)speary Wrote:  To fix this all you need to do is drop the roof console and feel to the left and you will find an electrical module stuck to the headlining. Just insert a piece of foam in between this and the roof. There is one on the right as well.
This has fixed mine. To lower the roof console, just lever it out from the corners furthest from the windscreen

Speary, I owe you a drink! For 13 months I had a scratchy/rubbing noise emanating from somewhere by the roof console and despite having this looked at twice by the dealer no cure.... Until I decided to follow your lead and popped out the roof console (got your instructions wrong though and took it out the hard way by levering out the corners closest to windscreen first - lucky nothing broke).

I had modules both on the left and right and wiring loom running between them in front of the console (furthest point away from windscreen) so I just wedged foam into both left right and middle bits and just to be 100% certain I also wrapped the wire on the actual console that seems to go to the microphone for the hands free kit as well as the wiring for the little airbag sign in some cotton wool.

Not sure which of the things actually cured the noise but it's gone!! I know it sounds silly but it's like driving a new car. Very happy.

Current: SD4 Dynamic Auto, 5 Door, Orkney Grey with Black Contrast Pano roof and 20" Shadow Chrome wheels. Pursuit interior. [countdown="Hand over"]15th June 2013 2:00pm[/countdown]

Gone: Si4 Prestige Auto Coupe, Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof, Element interior, Shadow Chrome 20" wheels with most of the bits & pieces loaded. [countdown="Hand over"]29th November 2011 2:00pm[/countdown]
(This post was last modified: 14-01-2013 11:31pm by berlin2011.)
14-01-2013 11:29pm
speary

(14-01-2013 11:29pm)berlin2011 Wrote:  Speary, I owe you a drink! For 13 months I had a scratchy/rubbing noise emanating from somewhere by the roof console and despite having this looked at twice by the dealer no cure.... Until I decided to follow your lead and popped out the roof console (got your instructions wrong though and took it out the hard way by levering out the corners closest to windscreen first - lucky nothing broke).

I had modules both on the left and right and wiring loom running between them in front of the console (furthest point away from windscreen) so I just wedged foam into both left right and middle bits and just to be 100% certain I also wrapped the wire on the actual console that seems to go to the microphone for the hands free kit as well as the wiring for the little airbag sign in some cotton wool.

Not sure which of the things actually cured the noise but it's gone!! I know it sounds silly but it's like driving a new car. Very happy.
Glad to be of help. If I am ever in South Africa I'll have a JD and coke thanks Very Happy

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
15-01-2013 09:48am
z4alfie

No rattles on my Evoque but this thread has reminded me of a dash squeeeeky squeek that I had on the Mini Cooper S that was there from day one, never got sorted despite numerous visits to the dealer. It eventually stopped when I was driving it to pick up my new Z4. So, order a new car and your rattles will disappear as if by magic
23-01-2013 10:32pm
gjd10002

(02-05-2012 02:27am)benzina Wrote:  Rattle-man...i have read that you work for LD, and can help us pin-point the known rattle issues that some of us may be experiencing.
I have a rattle in the left rear corner,around about where the seatbelt comes out,under the rear quarter window.
The rattle is induced by slight road vibrations and sometimes by the slight vibration of the diesel engine at idle.
The sound is like a single electrical wire, just tapping slightly on a metal surface like maybe the inner car shell, or a bracket.
I have ridden in the back, and pressed on every panel to see if it would stop,but it has not, so it's definately inside that side bootwell panel,somewhere between the fuse box and the seatbelt reel mechanism. It may even be up high inside the wheel arch strut area.
Do you have any information on where this rattle could be precisely???

That is exactly where my rattle appears to be coming from, (MY14 Pure Tech 5 door), did you ever get your's sorted? (My MY13 Evoque did not have such a rattle so I know it's not just me!)
28-02-2015 11:38pm