Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Stolen to Order - Using fake keys
stolen1m

Stolen to Order - Using fake keys

Hi All. Here's the CCTV footage of my BMW 1M stolen without any keys in 3 minutes!
I know this isn't a BMW forum, but this is interesting for anyone with a high end car attractive to thieves or indeed anyone with this type of key.

This is my £43,000 BMW 1M Stolen at 3 am in under 3 minutes. They accessed the car's OBD port in the footwell by breaking the glass, reaching in and using a device to reprogram a blank key fob. The car was simply then unlocked and pushed off the drive and driven away. No Alarm went off, and later found out there is a 'void' on the inside of the car, so if you keep your arm close to the inside of the door and the dash, the alarm will not activate. Just enough room to get your arm down to the OBD port where you can re-program a blank key if you have the correct device (which you can buy in the internet!)

BMW don't seem to want to admit they have a problem on their cars. They are still producing cars with the OBD port located in the footwell in the same location, and I assume the same problem with the alarm. Over 300 cars were stolen in March 2012 in the West Midlands alone and apparently the Police told me in one night £250,000 worth of cars were stolen in the region.

15-07-2012 07:58pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

RE: Stolen to Order - Using fake keys

Saw your original thread on Pistonheads Sad
Whilst it is easy to do (and probably common knowledge to a car thief) I'm not sure I'd be posting 'how to's' on the forums Sad

Hope there was no questions with the insurance!, the CCTV should at least have ensured that!

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
15-07-2012 08:01pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Pretty poor system if it cannot detect a broken window? Even old Land Rovers the alarm will sound if glass is disturbed

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
15-07-2012 08:02pm
TiTan

The little toerag even looks right at the camera at one point.

Terrible news about the car - though I too am surprised that broken glass doesn't set off any sort of alarm.
16-07-2012 04:01am
mjibex

(15-07-2012 08:02pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Pretty poor system if it cannot detect a broken window? Even old Land Rovers the alarm will sound if glass is disturbed
Correct if people know to double lock the car - many don't. I do not know if the BMW system is the same?

Mark.
16-07-2012 02:45pm
Mudi1

Shocking. Thanks for the heads-up. Shows how one step ahead thieves are. CCTV is also no deterent. Makes me wonder if my tracker was worth investing in. (I would rather have the car stolen and wrecked with no payment to the thief and a wasted effort on thier part, than stolen and sold).

Which also brings me onto placement of keys at home. Police/Insurance state the importance of placing them in a safe or similar, but the dilemma exists of either the theives ransacking the home & frightening/attacking children/us or, placing them within an easier view so family need not be disturbed.

It is not the value of what is to be stolen, it is that some-one as shallow as a thief places an order with one and, thinks it is their right to have your stolen item, because they too will have paid for it, although for a pitance of what you did. Sick!
16-07-2012 03:27pm
mickydd

Just watched the video.
Unbelieveable. i would be so pissed off if that was my vehicle.
It's a disgrace if any vehicle can be stolen that easily.
As a minimum, i would expect alarm activation on glass breakage.
Shocking.

Arrived 24th February. Dynamic 5 dr SD4, manual ,Firenze with Verve interior, 20" Sparkle
16-07-2012 08:30pm
jitenc

Moral of the story... Don't buy a BMW... glad I sold mine.

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
16-07-2012 09:25pm
Jonathon555

Time to Get a clifford fitted like in the bad old days,

What a joke bmw is

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
16-07-2012 10:08pm
The Valeter

(16-07-2012 09:25pm)jitenc Wrote:  Moral of the story... Don't buy a BMW... glad I sold mine.

I wouldn't anyway..you need to change your avatar Shocked

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
16-07-2012 11:15pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply