Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
Steering problem update
Donny Dog

RE: Steering problem update

(03-04-2012 09:28pm)Broadsword1959 Wrote:  Got the details of my Evoque off Topix today. Built March 26th delivery to my dealer this week.

Noticed on Topix the following:-

STEERING RACKS - UPRATED

Has this been on TOPIX details on the vehicles that have had the steering problem? Just wonder if LR are doing something with the new builds.

That has been on Topix on vehicles right back into last year, indeed was reported as early as September. It's not clear to me whether it has any direct bearing on the problem, but, if it were the solution, it clearly isn't working on (or, for some reason being applied to) all vehicles. (In that respect, I am aware of one owner, with whom I've been in private communication, who has had the problem but didn't have 'steering racks - upgrade' on his Topix entry, but it beggars belief to think that not all cars are benefiting from a known solution).
03-04-2012 09:36pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kso2911

Thanks for the information Stuart. This is really helpful.

(01-04-2012 08:18pm)stuartsmith Wrote:  To KSO. I bought my Evoque from Cole European in Walnut Creek, California. They had the vehicle for more than 1 week during which three different mechanics drove a total of 400 miles. For two of them this was their first opportunity to drive an Evoque. After initially reproducing the problem on the freeway, they were prompted by Land Rover UK to perform several tests, the most important of which involved loosening the steering rack and tie rod ends then retorquing. Eventually I was invited to retest the vehicle along with two technicians. I drove the vehicle at 60-75 mph on the freeway for 1 hour without any reoccurrence of the original problem. The service people at Cole European were extremely concerned about identifying the cause of the problem and ensuring it was fixed properly but they were entirely dependent on the suggestions from Land Rover and this communication was rather slow, primarily because of the 8-hour time differential. Since the vehicle was returned to me, I have driven about 700 miles, approximately 250 in long stints of 60-75 mph on the freeway. There have been no further problems with the steering. If the problem was fixed by loosening and retorquing the steering rack, then I can only assume that the steering rack on some of the Evoques is not being properly set up at the time of manufacture. Otherwise, I am really delighted with the vehicle performance.
ssmith@chori.org
04-04-2012 06:13am
Karene444

Hi, do you have a technical report from Land Rover for the fix you can share? I have a technical report from Land Rover for my Prestige SD4 Auto stating the steering is heavier than you would expect but this is a characteristic of the car and they will not do anything about it ..... grrrr.

(01-04-2012 08:18pm)stuartsmith Wrote:  To KSO. I bought my Evoque from Cole European in Walnut Creek, California. They had the vehicle for more than 1 week during which three different mechanics drove a total of 400 miles. For two of them this was their first opportunity to drive an Evoque. After initially reproducing the problem on the freeway, they were prompted by Land Rover UK to perform several tests, the most important of which involved loosening the steering rack and tie rod ends then retorquing. Eventually I was invited to retest the vehicle along with two technicians. I drove the vehicle at 60-75 mph on the freeway for 1 hour without any reoccurrence of the original problem. The service people at Cole European were extremely concerned about identifying the cause of the problem and ensuring it was fixed properly but they were entirely dependent on the suggestions from Land Rover and this communication was rather slow, primarily because of the 8-hour time differential. Since the vehicle was returned to me, I have driven about 700 miles, approximately 250 in long stints of 60-75 mph on the freeway. There have been no further problems with the steering. If the problem was fixed by loosening and retorquing the steering rack, then I can only assume that the steering rack on some of the Evoques is not being properly set up at the time of manufacture. Otherwise, I am really delighted with the vehicle performance.
ssmith@chori.org
13-04-2012 11:04am
Dag

Hello,

Picked up my car on thursday, great ride!
Made a longer trip on saturday, 200km at 140km/h. After approx 30 minutes, I am also experiencing the steering problems... Stopped because I thought I had tire failure...

Hard to drive, exhausting, uncomfortable and unsafe to drive.

At lower speeds no probs...

Anybody has a TSB number from LR? So I can point out the problem with the dealer?

Thank you very much,
Dag
03-06-2012 09:27am
Griff449

Makes you think twice about going through with the order hearing this common fault.......

Had a Pure TD4, Fuji White - now have Dynamic SD4, Fuji White 9 Speed auto with Verve Interior - let the new project begin!
09-06-2012 09:47am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
doug

(09-06-2012 09:47am)Griff449 Wrote:  Makes you think twice about going through with the order hearing this common fault.......

It's not that bad. 2700+ members on this site & only a hand full have had this steering problem.
But I do Feel for these how are having problems, touch wood mine has been fault free for 6 months with 3k on the clock. Very Happy

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
09-06-2012 10:04am
Dag

(03-06-2012 09:27am)Dag Wrote:  Hello,

Picked up my car on thursday, great ride!
Made a longer trip on saturday, 200km at 140km/h. After approx 30 minutes, I am also experiencing the steering problems... Stopped because I thought I had tire failure...

Hard to drive, exhausting, uncomfortable and unsafe to drive.

At lower speeds no probs...

Anybody has a TSB number from LR? So I can point out the problem with the dealer?

Thank you very much,
Dag

Hello,

The car was with the dealer yesterday. All the effort was made to solve the problem!
The sub-frame will be replaced by a new one as soon as the parts are delivered....

Keep you posted....
Dag
(This post was last modified: 14-06-2012 07:45am by Dag.)
14-06-2012 07:45am
Dag

Hello, just an update...

The Sub-frame has been replaced last thursday.
Had my first 200km+ trip this weekend with the new frame.

All problems solved! Steers with "one finger" on the wheel, very lightly.
Steering wheel centers instantly, when applying no force to the wheel.

I am a happy customer!
Regards!
Dag

(14-06-2012 07:45am)Dag Wrote:  Hello,

The car was with the dealer yesterday. All the effort was made to solve the problem!
The sub-frame will be replaced by a new one as soon as the parts are delivered....

Keep you posted....
Dag
03-07-2012 08:04am
Ralf

Hi,

after a longer period without the steering problem - and without longer trips at higher speed - it appeared again.

Yesterday I drove 1.200 km on the motorway. At longer periods at 130 km/h the fault appeared three times and disapeared when i must stop because of traffic jam.

Ralf

Evoque Si4 Prestige, Order August 2011, Delivery February 2012
22-07-2012 03:02pm
Ralf

Hi,

when i drove back it was the same, three times on 1.200 km.

Ralf

Evoque Si4 Prestige, Order August 2011, Delivery February 2012
06-08-2012 05:38pm